Autumn 2017 Patch General Discussion

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by bite, Oct 19, 2017.

1. Ondolindë

Ondolindë Emperor

Yes, that is the general consensus at this point. It's bloody murder at the Steam Mac forum for that same reason. Thank you for the update.

2. Ondolindë

Ondolindë Emperor

AspyrBlair had this to say today in the Steam Mac Forum: "We are doing everything we can to get this out before the break. I'll be the first to admit however that Jan is a real possibility due to pretty much the entire industry shutting down mid/late Dec." I seriously hope he was only referring to x-platform. He just said yesterday or the day before that they are committed to content first and x-platform later.

Unbelievable. Anyways, I am speechless.

3. Siptah

Siptah Eternal Chieftain

Well, they raised the bar when they released the game and the first patches rather fast. Now we are back to how it often was. At least there is an official port and we are guaranteed that they‘ll make it work somehow. I‘ve long stopped getting emotional about such things.
    And quite frankly, I‘m in no rush. Waiting for the expansion reduces my motivation to play civ VI in the meantime very much.

4. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

Isn't it funny how 2-3 weeks turned into 2-3 months?

5. Ondolindë

Ondolindë Emperor

I know what you mean, but believe me, it is not funny anymore. I do appreciate Aspyr finally being straightforward, however. But, I seriously thought it would come this week. Don't know why.

Now, I am seriously and deeply concerned we won't get the expansion close to the Windows release. I asked him about that. Hopefully, we'll get a candid answer as well.

6. Siptah

Siptah Eternal Chieftain

The question is why does it take so long this time? Is it only x-platform again? Or also the new OS and its format? If they solve both, we might get back to 2-3 weeks. If they solve just one and postpone the other, it may take very long again. I also don‘t see why they can‘t release patch and x-platform separately. Is it a budget issue?

Ondolindë likes this.
  7. Ondolindë

Ondolindë Emperor

Yes, those were the days. I couldn't believe them either.

I agree. At least we know that it is being taken rather seriously. I need to be more like you again. I wasn't emotional before, but ever since the wait for DLC 05 and the lack of communication, this just bothers me a lot more.

My problem with the expansion is that we might have to wait a lot longer for it, and that bothers me. I am excited now with all the analysis and the waiting for what will come in these next ten weeks, but today, realizing all this, just made me think that we might not get the expansion soon after.

It is funny how one becomes so possessive of a game. Yes, at the end, it is just a game. I'll follow your lead, Siptah, and go back to just going with the flow.

Siptah likes this.
  8. Siptah

Siptah Eternal Chieftain

I like anticipating DLC and patches. I‘m always a bit down when they are released for PC and I can‘t play since I‘ve been „anticipating so hard.“ So I know the feeling and am afraid of February a bit.

Ondolindë likes this.
  9. Ondolindë

Ondolindë Emperor

I also asked myself those very same questions. I strongly believe it is x-platform and how the Mac and Linux work. Aspyr-Blair hinted at that. He said yesterday, I believe, that that MacOS High Sierra wasn't much of an issue. It made me think that they had already solved the OS issue. I believe they want to get this done now and not postpone it more. It makes sense otherwise they will be carrying it past Expansion. It would cost them a lot more. He even mentioned that they want to get this right regardless of the delay costing them their bottom line.

Yes, I hear you, brother. I guess we shall see.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2017
    Siptah likes this.
  10. bbbt

bbbt Deity

I started in the era of "oh this game was a success on the PC, maybe we'll port it to Mac two years after the fact", so everything is an improvement ;)

11. Kwami

Kwami Deity

I really don't understand why the MacOS patches take so long. We're talking about 3D models, audio, text, scripting, and maybe a few minor tweaks to the code base. None of that really requires much "porting".

12. gfeier

gfeier King

The Aspyr rep mentioned both Open GL and Metal. It's apparently much harder to port to Metal, but the performance gain is worth it.

13. Eagle Pursuit

They are probably also working on the patch, DLC, and expansion simultaneously.

14. bbbt

bbbt Deity

Oh that's interesting as I thought they had explicitly said they hadn't implemented Metal on launch. So I wonder if they've been trying to add that in while porting the patches.

15. Ondolindë

Ondolindë Emperor

I’m glad you said expansion. I’m hoping that is the case and I sort of asked that indirectly to Aspyr-Blair. We’ll see what he says.

16. Eagle Pursuit

They aren't testing it, but I bet they are actually working on it.

17. Ondolindë

Ondolindë Emperor

Yes, nothing to test yet, but they better be working on it. At this point, I’m confident to say that they’re feeling the pressure. This might really push them to not fall behind again.

18. DanaLea

DanaLea Prince Supporter

I'm giving up on the Mac version. I'm going to use Bootcamp to run the windows version. I really dislike this as I am running EITHER windows OR macOS, and have to commit to not having access to anything other than Civ6 when I start to play (normally I'll pop over to email, or the forums, or whatever in the middle of a game), but it's that or this limbo-land that us MacOS players live in.

Question... what specially is the "starting location" bug I keep hearing about? I'm not going back to read all 46 pages of this thread. Thanks!

19. liv

liv Emperor

20. DanaLea

DanaLea Prince Supporter

Thank you, that told me what I needed to know! Awesome.