Nick ordered another 26 episodes in addition to the upcoming season 2, so we're going to get at least 4 seasons of Korra :goodjob:

linky
This is mostly good (more Korra! :D) but also a little bad (more overly short seasons! :().

So, uh, cautious optimism?

Yeah, I would've liked longer seasons too.

The Avatar writers rush things a little too much for my tastes in general; even season three of ATLA could've used a few extra episodes imo.

This is mostly good (more Korra! :D) but also a little bad (more overly short seasons! :().

So, uh, cautious optimism?

Well, nobody said the 26 episodes Nick ordered were going to be divided into 2 seasons, so who knows, maybe we'll get an extra long season three :D

I know a few animators IRL and I know how time-consuming it can be to produce high-quality work,
so I won't really mind if the next seasons are short like Season 1, so long as the quality is consistently above and beyond like what we've seen so far.

I dunno, I think it'd work better as a Saints Row game, myself.

No no it should be a Final Fantasy-esque JRPG.

ewwww kill it with fire

So Grey DeLisle (Azula from ATLA) has just tweeted that she will be providing the voice for The Dark Spirit (revealed as the main antagonist for Korra season 2. :clap:

YESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYES

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Oh man. This is gonna get the fans speculating hardcore. Will the Dark Spirit actually have a connection to Azula, or is it just a red herring? My money's on the latter, but after we had Iroh II voiced by Zuko's VA, I'm not entirely sure...

Speculation: the Dark Spirit's connection to Azula will be that she's evil.

But this is good news! And I like to see that the conflict with the spirit world I was expecting for the first season is going to be picked up now instead.

A supernatural enemy is kinda needed now that Korra can turn on the avatar state at will.

nick.com uploaded a storyboard of Book 2 ep. 1 yesterday. Skip to about the 19 minute mark. It shows the dark spirit too.

linky

To be honest, I kinda hope "The Dark Spirit" is just a place-holder name. It sounds kinda lame. "Well, he's a spirit. And he's not very nice. He has dark skin. Let's call him.... The Dark Spirit!"

I also hope that Azale is wrong and she cannot turn on the Avatar State at will. We watched Aang struggle with that for 3 years, then Korra learns it in 5 seconds? When she had made almost zero progress in the whole first season? That would be a huge letdown for me.

To be honest, I kinda hope "The Dark Spirit" is just a place-holder name. It sounds kinda lame. "Well, he's a spirit. And he's not very nice. He has dark skin. Let's call him.... The Dark Spirit!"

I also hope that Azale is wrong and she cannot turn on the Avatar State at will. We watched Aang struggle with that for 3 years, then Korra learns it in 5 seconds? When she had made almost zero progress in the whole first season? That would be a huge letdown for me.

Watch the storyboard. She can control it at will. But remember, this was supposed to be a 1 season show. She was supposed to become a fully realized avatar at the end. And it makes sense as a character arc too. She starts off as someone who has everything; nothing was ever particularly hard for her, and as such she was arrogant and hot headed, in short, not ready to airbend. Over the course of the season she deals with true strife: fear, love, self-loathing, and she overall learns to take things more seriously and by the end she is ready to step into her role as Avatar. Why shouldn't she be a fully-realized avatar after that?

A supernatural enemy is kinda needed now that Korra can turn on the avatar state at will.
I'm not sure if we can really draw that conclusion from what happened in the finale.

Over the course of the season she deals with true strife: fear, love, self-loathing, and she overall learns to take things more seriously and by the end she is ready to step into her role as Avatar. Why shouldn't she be a fully-realized avatar after that?
Because she didn't struggle to deserve it, to be honest.

Problems piled up and she couldn't solve them: airbending, the Avatar state, even her relationship with Mako. She made zero progress in either of them, then in the climactic finale she suddenly overcomes them all, mainly because she really needed to (in the dramatic sense). I didn't like it. It's why I would've preferred more episodes to have her overcome these problems more gradually.

She was much older to Aang (not counting his hibernation) when she mastered the avatarstate . I guess it could be explained that she just had a block for the airbending/spirit stuff . She practiced all the air bending moves but could not get a whiff of air . Suddenly in the season finale due to abject terror her block gets removed and she can perform basic airbending moves in the style of firebending which she predominantly uses.
That much is believable and a one time Aang help in her 'lowest moment' is ok. But her ability to enter into the avatar state at will was rushed . It might have been better if it was suggested that after a year or so she masters avatar state and cures Lin and all other who lost their bending .

Edit: why does nick have to block us non-americans from accessing videos from their site..mutter..mutter..off to you tube now

Top Bottom