1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Arts & Entertainment' started by Owen Glyndwr, Jul 21, 2010.

1. Luckymoose

Luckymoose The World is Mine

We have nothing to say to anyone who calls that film awesome.

2. Dachs

Dachs Intelligence Officer

With that in mind - the movie was cover-your-eyes awful - the first season was a bit uneven, partially because it was made in two parts: the first several episodes were supposed to be self-contained, up to the Winter Solstice, and the authorization of a full season meant some filler. Quality noticeably picked up at the end of the first season, but the show didn't really come into its own until the second season. Hell, the Ba Sing Se arc won a freaking Emmy.

So you do have to do a little bit of suffering through the first season of A:TLA in order to get to the real meat of the series.

3. _random_

_random_ Jewel Runner

You, sir, are one funny dude.

4. Dachs

For saying the exact same stuff he says about everything else?

5. Owen Glyndwr

Owen Glyndwr La Femme Moderne

Even then, you still get some absolute classics in the first season. The Waterbending Scroll, The Storm, The Waterbending Master, The Fortuneteller, and The Blue Spirit, just to name a few. Let alone the absolutely superb Season finale (which was I believe also nominated for a freaking emmy). The pilot itself is rather impressive too, if only from a visual perspective.

6. Turquoiside

Turquoiside Chieftain

I'll never understand why everyone hates The Great Divide with such passion, yet tolerate the Fortuneteller, pretending it advanced the plot or established anything more than The Great Divide did. Both were probably the bottom two episodes in a rocky season, but The Great Divide was just disappointing.

7. DroopyTofu

DroopyTofu Double Bass Double Bass

Where do you guys go to watch episodes of A:TLA (that follows sight rules of course)? I haven't found it on nick.com, youtube, hulu or anywhere else I can think of.

EDIT: Nevermind, I found them just now on Nick.com! :D There goes my productivity for the next few weeks. Oh, and watch the second season becasue it gets deeper as the show goes on. Several great new characters will be added and you'll learn alot more about the history of known characters that will add alot of depth to the show which is why we die hard fans love it so.

8. Dachs

Yeah, I've never been that invested in The Fortuneteller, either. At least it added a little nuance to Aang and Katara's relationship, which The Great Divide failed to do.

The Storm was a fine episode, though, as was The Blue Spirit. Back when The Siege of the North aired, my family did the Super Bowl treatment for it (extended to other major episodes in later seasons as well): everybody in the living room for dinner (weenies, nachos, and pizza bagels). Good times.

Book Two definitely outclasses it, though.

9. PeteAtoms

PeteAtoms FormulaRandom

That put a smile on my face :goodjob:

10. Owen Glyndwr

I always did because in addition to doing nothing to advance the plot, The Great Divide was also generic, had a really dumb message at the end, and was just boring. There really weren't any particularly funny jokes or memorable characters.

On the other hand, The Fortuneteller at least had a somewhat decent message at the end (make your own luck and trick others into following you as opposed to ignore problems rather than addressing them and tricking/lying to others in order to make them follow you.) The Fortuneteller, on the other hand, is saved by a.) somewhat advancing the romance between Aang and Katara, and, in my opinion, being one of the more consistently funny episodes. I'd give it the nod just for the "Wow someone had a good time in [the bathroom]." "Yeah, I...uh" "Nope! I don't even want to know!". And the Sokka vs the idiots scenes which I thought were pretty damned entertaining. The ending passage in which Aang stops the lava is also a pretty damn cool action sequence.

So, it isn't a titan of an episode like Blue Spirit or The Storm, or...basically every episode of the second season, but for the comedy it still stands out to me in the first season.

11. Phrossack

Phrossack Armored Fish and Armored Men

I like Avatar, too (not the movie, never saw it), but I'm simply curious: Why do you like Avatar? I can't put my finger on it, but there's something very appealing about the whole show.

12. KaiserElectric

KaiserElectric Total Freakin Besties

I just saw the premiere, and it looks pretty good!

The characters are memorable, and I like the conflict between benders and non-benders in the city as central to the story. Plus Republic City looks absolutely incredible with the Roaring Twenties China look.

13. Dachs

Well, not China, but Shanghai, which ain't exactly the same thing, no matter what Kraz says. (Plus New York-style skyscrapers.)

But yeah, Shanghai in the twenties is a pretty good direction. I like it a lot.

14. Owen Glyndwr

I think there's a bit of roarin' twenties Chicago thrown in there for good measure too, but I third the praise.

I also really like the music, it's a really interesting blend of (at least what I perceive to be) classical Chinese instrumentation/music with big brassy 20s Jazz music. It's a lot of fun.

15. ParkCungHee

ParkCungHee Chieftain

So we all agree the dog is the best character, right?

16. Dachs

I'm a fan of the bum in the bush, myself.

That beauteous, beauteous bush.

17. Owen Glyndwr

Think I can get one o' them tasty...fishies?!?

18. ParkCungHee

ParkCungHee Chieftain

Modern media is severely lacking in gentlemen hobos.

19. Turquoiside

Turquoiside Chieftain

Yes!

20. PeteAtoms

PeteAtoms FormulaRandom

I watched the first 6 episodes and I have to say that I like it a lot. I liked the original series and LoK is actually better IMO so far. I have high hopes for the series.

I also heard a rumor that there are now going to be a lot more episodes in the series than originally planned.