cgannon64

BOB DYLAN'S ROCKIN OUT!
What are our chances of getting the size limit raised, either pixels or actual file size (its currently 4096 which is a pain to work around).

Are any moderators for this? TF?

I for one would LOVE for the limit to be raised :D

Raise by pixels, file size is really easy to work around.

There's really no reason not to raise the avatar size to the current Civ avatar sizes, which is what, 75 pixels or something? Sure the 56k'ers will groan and moan, but if the file size is the same, how will it be any different?

If you need file size altering, it can be easily done with a graphics program such as Photoshop (I have Fireworks, but same thing) that won't be noticable.

dimensions don't matter, but as a 56k'er, i don't want to sit here waiting all day for peoples avatars to download.

4k is just fine as a file size.

Size lmit will not be increased, but I'll consider increasing the dimension limit to 70x70 or 75x75. :)

4 KB is more than sufficient for an avatar size image. You can reduce image file size alot w/o sacrificing much quality by optimizing the image using programs such as PhotoImpact or PhotoShop.

I agree with bobgote, as a 56k'er I don't want to be downloading too much. At the moment at home the forums are slow enough as it is :(

It doesn't make much diff for me anyways as I have to post another 250ish messages before I can add my own avatar.

maybe in a year I will have done it.

Originally posted by Thunderfall
but I'll consider increasing the dimension limit to 70x70 or 75x75. :)

:goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob: :thanx: :thanx: :thumbsup: :worship: :worship:

cool

Raise the limit of avatar files? I think not. I don't even really dig the idea of custom avatars.

I love mine, too. I guess I'm just a rare poster who actually looked through the list and picked one I liked and stuck with it instead of spamming my way up to 300 posts like the other 40000 of you...:p :cool:

Other 40 000? Actually, only a few % of the users have a post count over 5...:rolleyes:

No way, I don't want bigger avatars, they make the page a mess if they're too big!

Well, maybe 75x75 could work, but no bigger. And no bigger size than 4k.

Originally posted by superslug
I love mine, too. I guess I'm just a rare poster who actually looked through the list and picked one I liked and stuck with it instead of spamming my way up to 300 posts like the other 40000 of you...:p :cool:
Actually some of us were way beyond 300 posts before custom avatars were ever introduced. :p

Originally posted by Hitro

Actually some of us were way beyond 300 posts before custom avatars were ever introduced. :p

Thats a very interesting arguement, must remember that one. :goodjob:

Originally posted by Thunderfall
Size lmit will not be increased, but I'll consider increasing the dimension limit to 70x70 or 75x75. :)

4 KB is more than sufficient for an avatar size image. You can reduce image file size alot w/o sacrificing much quality by optimizing the image using programs such as PhotoImpact or PhotoShop.

[dance] Yay! Now time to fight for a few more pixels...:p

BTW maybe the size limit isn't hard to work around, but I find it is - then again, most of my avatars come from 800x600 pictures that are cropped a little and resized, which could be a factor...

I would like to see 70x70, of course, I don't see any point of it.

Yes! Finally! [dance]

Originally posted by superslug

Don't look at me, I was here before we got custom avatars, and I already had 300 posts, so I had no reason to spam past 10 ;).

There was a time when I would be happy about this consideration of an increase in avatar size, but now I fear it might be distracting. I know in forums where sizes of 120x120 are allowed it's annoying. Maybe 75x75 won't be so bad, though.

Top Bottom