1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Avoid Cheating

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Veldren, Dec 1, 2007.

1. Veldren

Veldren Chieftain

Is there a way the game can be set to penalize people from using the "WorldBuilder" when playing out a game in single player?

I am getting bored of this game fast since its so easy to cheat with it. I just don't have much willpower to stop abusing this feature since we don't get penalized for using it. It should stop high score placement all together if you edit the map in any ways after its created.

I liked how the older versions of this game discouraged such cheating.

2. Party

Party Warlord

Jeez, get some self control already?
    You'll need it in life anyways.

3. KMadCandy

KMadCandy giggling permanoob

you can check the "Lock Modified Assets" option in the custom game screen before you start. that way you don't have to use any willpower. the game won't have worldbuilder as an option at all ;)

4. Veldren

Veldren Chieftain

Its not about self control. Its about playing the way the game is designed. "WorldBuilder" is a constant option you have when playing. No different than an option to fortify or to move a unit. There should be a penalty for using it.

Guess this game is a cheaters paradise. Too bad they did everything so well in this game, just this one rather big flaw IMO.

5. Veldren

Veldren Chieftain

Oh thanks Candy i'll give that a try!

6. Veldren

Veldren Chieftain

I just tried it and it works! Can't believe it did not see this before.

Thanks again.

7. KMadCandy

oh i needed it too at one time. i was such a reloader!!! so i started playing Hall of Fame gauntlets, not achieve fame :lol: but so that i'd know "people will examine this save to make sure i followed rules, so i need to follow them!" it worked. except for every once in a while, in a game that's not for HoF. but i mean those cases are totally justifiable *giggle* :mischief:

8. Veldren

Veldren Chieftain

Glad to see I am not the only one with "self control" issues. =)

I totaly know what your talking about when its a justifiable usage. Like when a single enemy archer takes out your most highly experienced panzer unit. I'll look around to see if anyone is watching, then I place a modern armor unit in there, lets see you try that again you little ****.

9. KMadCandy

you're definitely not the only one, don't worry about it at all. and i didn't even notice your join date and post count, welcome to CFC! :) that'll be great if that option lets you enjoy the game more, and i really do think it will, if you're i was in that "no self-control, and then sometimes wonder why it's too easy" way. have fun, and try to avoid those exploiting archers :gripe:

10. bestbrian

bestbrian Just this guy, ya know?

There's another thread out there relating to this (I think it's entitiled "What do you consider cheating?"). Personally, if you're playing a single player game the only person looking over your shoulder is you, so do whatever you feel comfortable with. Come up with your own rules. For instance, I believe there should be a late-game terraforming option. So, using my own personal rule, after I discover Biology, I fortify a worker on that damn desert that's been clogging up my BFC the whole game for about ten turns or so, and then I grass land the tile. Cheating? To some, but my game my rules. As far as the scoring system goes it's irrelevant to my actual playing/enjoying the game so I just ignore it.
    Relevant Aside: Last game on a huge great-plains map I got no horses. Marched my quechas-axes-maces-then-rifleman hither and yon and conquered over 30% of the map and not a single horse. No big deal; when the time is right I'll build tanks. NO OIL EITHER! WTF? Frederick was my adversary so I know the panzers are coming and I'm looking at no tanks/gunships/planes; zot-zilch-nada. Straight to WB and plopped oil right under my capital. Cheating? Maybe, but I felt fine with it.

11. Party

Party Warlord

Wait, how would people know if you save/reload?

12. KMadCandy

oh i'm exactly with you! it's a game, rule #1 is to play to have fun, and you get to decide what's fun for you! my trouble was i'd set new random seed, reload for the exact great people i wanted and for the battles i really needed to win, etc. and then wonder as the game went on "why are they so behind?" i kept getting bored so it turned un-fun, but i was seriously in the habit of doing it (i'd been doing it in other games for years) that i was seriously having a really hard time. i actually think i personally might be the reason why galleys and such just plain can't enter ocean now. they heard rumors about how i'd save and just keep on trying until my [i forget the name of which ships had a chance to sink in the ocean in earlier versions] didn't sink.

so for me, i thought i'd enjoy the game more if i broke that habit. and i had to find "outside help" *giggle*. i think civ4 handles the situation beautifully. the player can decide whether to leave worldbuilder available, that's perfect for you. or they can turn it off if they're like an alcoholic who needs to stay away from the stuff for a while to break habits, like i did.

long ramble about having no oil:
    Spoiler :
    i played an OCC game with no ponies and i turned out not to have oil or uranium either. and i was specifically aiming for time victory :eek:! uranium was one tile away but it always would be, i couldn't build another city and i was already legendary, my borders wouldn't ever expand again. i realized that industrialism doesn't only mean you lose a happy face from ivory. it means that if you have no ponies and no oil, you can't build jumbos any more either, oopsies! i had built up quite a stash tho, and they looked cute out there on my galleons with the marines and mech infantry. now i know why marines and mechs don't require resources!

it was actually really fun, since i'm insane. LMA was on, since it was for HoF, and i needed it to be a time victory. but it did happen to be Settler difficulty, which meant it wasn't a problem. i pretty much stood on every tile the other guy had so that he couldn't get anything done, but never killed him off. he didn't realize that he'd be playing OCC, and that he'd be forced into a time defeat, poor guy. he teched kinda slow, so i didn't really need tanks and planes and all that fancy stuff. he was working on optics in 2050 AD. :lol:

the Mehmed i faced wasn't a threat at all. but against your Frederick, i'd probably have freaked and quit if i couldn't have gotten or added oil in some way! :eek:
    edit: oops Party i didn't see your post in there. for HoF, you use a mod they wrote. when you submit the game, they run it thru a check that does magical things and they just know. i don't know how they do it, but that's okay, i don't need to know how. knowing that they did know was all i needed to cure me. yes i am an oddball! i have a lot of fun being an oddball :)

13. Veldren

Veldren Chieftain

Thanks for welcoming me!

Bestbrain, thats an interesting idea for a terra-forming option.

As for the save/reload. I don't know any way of avoiding that. Sometimes I need to reload if I screw up by forgetting to do something last turn. Be sure to put it on the saving the random seed option before you start the game. That way reloading saved games will just yield the same battle results as it preserves the random number seed. Saves a lot of time of reverting from saved games trying to get that perfect battle outcome you want.

14. r_rolo1

r_rolo1 King of myself

Number of sessions ( yes the game gets track of them....never watched carefully the end screens ,like the replay? :p ).... especially if you start 10+ sessions in the same year ;)

You can also notice if a person reloaded if you check the logs, especially the combat ones ( same unit fighting and dieing a lot of times until it wins )

@KMad and Veldren

I also was a reloader in civ III, but I quitted in civ IV.... Reason? 768 MB of RAM... It just takes too long and leakes too much memory . So I advise veldren to get a weak computer and the reloading and WB "cheats" ( notice the "" ) will pass away quickly :lol:

15. bestbrian

bestbrian Just this guy, ya know?

Veldren: Yeah, the terraformnig thing works for me. I play Warlords (I don't know if they have the option in BTS), but terraforming was an option in Civ II and I miss it. It's just silly to get several levels of futuretech and build a space elevator and STILL not be able to irrigate a desert or polder the sea. Rather than wait for Firaxis to add the option I decided to make my own option ("Improvise, Adapt and Overcome" as my old Drill Sergeant used to say). Welcome to the forums and feel free to have some fun with the game.

KMAD: I didn't know about not needing oil for mech infantry (now THAT'S silly - almost as bad as not needing flight for a space victory), but I was pretty peeved and would have gifted myself oil anyway. As it was, Frederick and I went at it for something like a two hundred year war across the plains and never got anywhere near each others territory. Saladin and Vicky were between us and I'd Vassalized Vicky and Frederick had Saladin and we fought the whole war on their territory LOL. I think I won a diplo victory on that one. I like the new "piarate theme" icon. I knew you liked the privateers, but I didn't know how far your obssession had gone. Ahoy, Matey!

16. Veldren

Veldren Chieftain

Do not underestimate my willpower for doing what it takes to win! I am the reloader master with extreme patience lol. I have a crappy old G4 MDD mac, and so far its taking about 2-3 mins per reload. (huge map, 8 comps)

I am now playing a game the new way I just learned in this thread, by disabling the WB. So far it's great but, I am now spending more time reloading than playing! Keeping the same random number seed helps me keep from fighting same the fight over and over but I still find myself reloading and fighting or exploring a village another turn to get a different result.

bestbrain:
    I also miss the teraforming, as I been playing civ since it first came out (long time ago). I agree it makes no sense to build a space elevator but can't place some sprinklers in a dessert. Maybe they think you loose more resources than you gain from the process. Like if you wanted to go build a fruit farm right now in the Nevada dessert, the cost of making the fruit would be more than what you could sell it for. So you really might end up loosing more resources than you gained, in this case fresh water. But I see no excuses for not allowing us to plow hills down. Its a one time event, just make the worker take a very long time.

17. Verge

Verge Let's hug it out

Just will yourself not to reload :) I still don't see why there needs to be a tangible stick or carrot to dissuade or persuade you to play a certain way.

18. KMadCandy

okay try this if we are still searching for a stick *giggle*. before you load that game up again next time, start some new fake game (duel map so that it's quick to load), play a few turns and then save and reload it a bunch. or do that with an early save of an old game, but not this one. make sure you've reloaded a bunch of times, like 20.

then retire. i forget the command for that but you can do it from the menu i think. that'll show you where everybody started out on the replay, which is why i don't want you to try it on your current game. force yourself to watch the replay, reading the words on the right. you'll notice a list of "session 1 starts" "session 2 starts" blah blah. and if you're reloading for a hut 4 turns in a row you'll see a new session number 4 turns in a row :lol:. you'll end up with 20+ sessions for this 10 turn long test game, that looks awfully fishy! of course it was a test game, but you know what we're faking here of course :).

true, it doesn't show up on your score at the end, but you will see it this way at the end of the game replay. i don't know if that would be what you need to kick that habit if you want to, like you thought a score impact would be in the first post. you might just be able to ignore it and not feel guilty since it doesn't show up in the score. but it's a thought anyway ;).

19. Party

Party Warlord

On second though how about I write a mod that connects to chip in your brain that detects when you even think about worldbuilder.

The it gives you a shock, nukes one of your cities, and steals your girlfriend. :D

20. MyOtherName

MyOtherName Emperor

Then don't reload. :p

Firstly, reloading might not have as much of an effect as you think; I bet many of the games where you thought you had to reload, you would still win if you didn't.

Secondly, as you point out, reloading is slower -- it probably takes much less of your time to produce a dozen extra swordsmen than it does for you to to make your undersized swordsman force win via reloading.