1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Avoiding war at the beginning

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Strategy & Tips' started by muddex, Oct 25, 2013.

1. Meanness

Meanness Chieftain

I do not get attacked nearly as often as I did in BNW, and I don't take any major steps to avoid it. I try to build two archers per city and upgrade them to CBs, then add a couple of horses. This defending force will work for a good long time with half-decent use of terrain.

Wonder-spamming will create hostility, as will settling in the face of another civ. And sometimes you just get stuck between Alexander and Shaka, so you know it's going to be a long day.

How far apart do you settle your cities? When I used to spread out my cities I had a lot more trouble with early wars. Way easier to defend a nice tight triangle of cities with 3-4 tiles of road between them.

2. Plumfairy

Plumfairy Prince

Selling luxuries or resources to a civ (or buying their resources and/or luxuries) also seems to improve relations with the AI, although the effect seems to be weaker than trade routes.

3. Novalia

Novalia Prince

Anrke... Build up your forces.. Counterattack and take a puppet.. When the AI DOWs you, you must take advantage of his error.