1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Awareness of racial slurs outside of the US

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by inthesomeday, Jun 7, 2018.

1. inthesomeday

inthesomeday Immortan

Here in the US we have such an illustrious culture of racial slurs for almost every race imaginable and they are almost constantly present in social or political discourse. How people use them, who should be allowed or not allowed to use them, what they mean, all sorts of things.

How well-known are American racial slurs abroad? How well known is the discourse in the US surrounding our own racial slurs? Countries with their own racial slurs, is the discourse very similar?

2. Berzerker

Berzerker Chieftain

I imagine melting pots have a much more expansive vocabulary, but thats a good thing. No one feels left out ;) In a country with only 2-3 'races' it'd be tougher being the outcasts.

3. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Another drone in the hive mind

My dad taught me appropriately offensive words for people from every nation in Europe, plus more generic use words for people who's ancestry traces to other continents. I am proud to say that I did not pass this education on to my own children.

Owen Glyndwr likes this.
  4. Patine

Patine Chieftain

Does anyone here know the racist origins of terms like "the grandfather clause," or to be "jipped" (which was originally, and sometimes still is, spelt differently), or the old children's game Red Rover, or "eanie-meanie-minie-moe" (it was not originally to pick a "tiger by the toe," but a similar-sounding word), and others of these sorts, whose inherent racism has been forgotten by many.

5. Broken_Erika

Broken_Erika Nothing

I learned most of my insults in elementary school..........

6. Berzerker

Berzerker Chieftain

I got mine from All in the Family

7. Patine

Patine Chieftain

Technically, the Japanese word gaijin is a vicious, xenophobic, highly derogatory racist insult which, ironically, has been romanticized and glorified among many Western White people, for reasons that absolutely baffle me.

8. Valka D'Ur

Valka D'Ur Hosting Iron Pen in A&E Retired Moderator

I hadn't realized that Red Rover has racist origins. The eeny-meeny-miny-mo rhyme, on the other hand... yikes. I had to tell my grandmother to stop saying it. Period. When she finally understood that there are certain words that used to be acceptable but aren't any longer, for a list of reasons, she did delete it from her vocabulary.

Too bad such reasoning didn't work with my mother.

9. Yeekim

Yeekim Chieftain

Ooh! What did he call... Latvians? :mischief:

10. Akka

Akka Moody old mage.

That's because of internalized racism, of course. Just look on this board at how many white people hate themselves and white people in general :D

11. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Another drone in the hive mind

I won't repeat it, but at the time Latvia was an SSR and so was Estonia, so you guys all got the same slurs as any other Soviet. I doubt that my dad knew any difference...or cared.

12. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

I don't think we have the same kind of racial slur-powerful terms in Greece. Mostly because up until the 90s there were virtually no foreigners to speak of in the country (then there was an influx from the balkans, primarily albanians but also bulgarians and romanians). Still, there is no slur against (eg) albanians, despite a bad rep. There isn't even a slur against turks.
    The analogous for 'n word' does exist, but it is obviously a corruption of the term for "arab", and it isn't used; last time i heard it was when i was in elementary school.

Only slur-like term i can think of is for "gypsy". It is used to mean very poor/dirty/uneducated etc. It more commonly is used against non-Roma, though (ie Roma are not called that, since they are called 'Tsigganoi'; from the original byzantine term Athigganos, which means 'not to be touched' and may be tied to the original indian name of the Untouchables). I suppose that one (the gypsy one) is a slur.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2018
  13. Ryika

Ryika likes cookies and milk.

My perception of Germany:

Not very, other than a few select ones like the n-word.

I don't think people here know much about it. Many people think that the US are a very divided country that houses many racists, and that blacks are treated exceptionally bad there, but the "petty details" hardly ever reach our mainstream media. Coverage of American Issues is rather superficial in general, aside from things that cover political figures.

We do have lots of racial slurs, but they're not commonly used in public and don't hold "power" like many Americans ascribe to the "n-word". Since the refugee crisis, there has been an increased usage of some of those words on social media ("sand n-words" as a slang against Muslims from that area is used here, too), and some politicians (from the AfD) have gotten into trouble for it.

Kids are edgelords of course, so when you live in a low-income area and travel to work by bus during the time when the kids go to school like I do, you're going to hear all sorts of race-based insults being thrown around, and that includes a lot of creative insults against "native" Germans.

14. Manfred Belheim

Manfred Belheim Chieftain

15. Broken_Erika

Broken_Erika Nothing

Dang it! I meant to point that out yesterday but i forgot. United States of Ham?

16. Yeekim

Yeekim Chieftain

Am disappointed.
    What about Finns? :p

17. Hrothbern

Hrothbern Warlord

Racial slurs dripped in, mostly from the US, or were invented over time when we got more and more people of non-white race.
    They replaced a good share of the country/region/neighbourhood and religion based slurs over the same time period.
    "everbody knows that people with floppy ears are coming from backward regions"

18. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

It is highly unlikely that Finland is known in the US. ;)

19. Hehehe

Hehehe Chieftain

My personal favorite is "basketball-Americans"
    Yes, it's mostly similar in Finland. Racial slurs are almost completely absent from any mainstream discourse, and anyone who dares to use such words is instantly targeted by an outrage mob. Many politicians and prominent people can lose their careers for using racial slurs. I guess the only difference is that Finland has a much richer vocabulary of racial slurs than the US does (or maybe I'm simply ignorant of all the various racial slurs Americans use?)

20. Lexicus

Lexicus Warlord

Your choice of words is revealing, as usual.