1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Awesome, but I still have a problem

Discussion in 'Civ4Col - We The People' started by Oberon4278, Jan 19, 2019.

1. Oberon4278

Oberon4278 Chieftain

Hey, it's so great to see that development is continuing with this mod! I really love it so much. I'm also a programmer, web developer, etc. so I'm looking forward to being able to help out more now that this is open source.

However, I still have a problem with the game crashing regularly. I'm not familiar with how to capture and analyze core dumps on Windows. (I've done it on *nix systems kind of a lot.) Can someone point me to a tutorial or other instructions? I'm assuming I'm going to need Visual Studio and a bunch of other stuff; I've really never developed for Windows before.

Thank you!

2. ConjurerDragon

ConjurerDragon Chieftain Supporter

3. Nightinggale

Nightinggale Chieftain Supporter

Compile guide: https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/the-easiest-way-to-compile-a-new-dll.608137/
    A few notes about it. First of all it applies to all versions of the civ4 engine, not specifically BTS despite being in the BTS subforum. Secondly while it mentions MS visual studio 2010, it actually works with any version of VS. It compiles using the 2003 version (DLL and EXE needs to use the same compiler to avoid memory allocation corruption) meaning the version you use to view the code is just that: a viewer, not a compiler.

MSVS has the advantage over other viewers that the builtin debugger actually works. If set up correctly it works just fine with the hotkeys like F5 for start with the debugger attached and if a file is modified, it will compile before starting. I haven't written a guide on the setup yet though, but I plan to do so eventually because apparently nobody else have written one either :undecide:

Hecur likes this.