Awilder's 3rd Deity Game - Huayna Capac

awilder

Warlord
turns 1-67: Tight squeeze

Next!

I decided to cast myself upon the mercy of the RNG this time and go back to random leader...

I rolled Huayna Capac :lol: Considered by many to be the best leader for higher difficulties, he is industrious and financial, his UB is a granary with +2 culture (sweet) and his UU is, well... infamous

I promise not to do anything cheesy like quechua rush :mischief: (is that even good on deity? never tried it)

Here is the start:

The only food we can see is the fish. It's tempting to settle 1NE (go GLH prob?) but that does lose us 2 FPs, not to mention not starting with fishing, which would make it awkward. I think move the quechua 1NW?

Have at it!

I'll resist the temptation to just start playing. Seems like the settling debate is where the vast majority of outside comments come, which is fun. Everyone gets in on it; I mean one time I fired up a game and my grandma walked by and said "1SW for extra floodplains and the fresh water" :eek:

I would like to upload saves in the off chance someone wants to shadow (report in spoilers etcetc), but can anyone recommend a good file hosting site?

my granny said 1S or on the marble

I like Hotfile. Some of the sites used here seem a little sketchy. However, I don't know any of the "free" hosting sites. I pay for hotfile.

on coast or marble loses 2 health

1S I could actually like, but what about hills? But to be fair if you have in SIP only FP's as food then the PH is not hot...

trickyyyy :). How viable it is on deity to "wander around"?

Your food is 2N and 2S1W so in place is the sensible thing to do. I'm thinking cows to the north with a chance of pigs/corn instead, wheat to the south but it is possible that there is no food there as well, albeit the chance is small. 1E is horses/copper/iron.

With that info, it's not sensible to move anywhere except 1W and that only if you're a gambler. Basically in place is the way to go.

Playing with yet another weak leader on Deity I see :lol:. Fleme is usually right with the settling decisions, SIP looks good.

Move quechua 1NW first? If nothing there I'd scout with settler at least 1SW.

No one seems excited about 1NE on coast. Can y'all clarify why that's so bad? Surely it's not just a health thing...

work boats make for a slow start imo, if you have to move onto a normal 1h tile, loose the turn and no fishing it is even worse.:)

work boats make for a slow start imo, if you have to move onto a normal 1h tile, loose the turn and no fishing it is even worse.:)

I second this. Workboat starts seem always slow for me, and seeing that you don't start with Fishing makes it even worse.

By the way, a great leader to play for a Deity game!

OK, I decided to SIP as recommended. Ultimately I was concerned about lack of hammers for 1NE on top of the awkwardness of no fishing coastal starts. Here's what we have to work with:

Pretty nice cap all in all. A lot of production potential (will definitely mine the marble at first), but it will be tough to feed all those plains hills. I wish a few more of the riverside tiles were grassland instead of plains, but you can't have everything!

Dude, Quechuas are all you need. Live it up!

I'd think about the Oracle, maybe AH -> Masonry -> Wheel -> Poly -> Pri -> Mon.

Remember the Marble is 3C.

That's an ok spot but will probably eventually require the farming of those FPs in order to feed everything.

Going to try one of these...

I second Jet's Oracle suggestion, considering that pottery isn't quite the priority it might've been if there was enough food around for both cottages and hills.

cottages will be fine.
You get 5F corn, 3F cow, that feeds that marble hill, and 2 PH. if you mix in some FP cottages you still have some surplus.
You just can't whip there much, but I think it won't be needed.

Tech path seems fine, but I would like to see there mining before pottery for the marble, will be extremely strong tile with mine.

I like the idea of oracle, but I think I won't do an absolute beeline.

I humbly disagree about farming the FPs. I really can't see myself ever doing that in a capital city (on a financial leader to boot!), but I do it all the time in non-cap cities. Here especially--I have an 8 food surplus working the corn (+3), cow (+1), FPs (+2) and the city tile. I can feed all three hills when I need production, and can get myself to CS, at which point I can get several more grassland farms if I really want to fuel growth.

With marble and industrious, oracle should cost me (150/2.5) = 60 base hammers, so I should be able to get that in 1 turn with 2 chops and possibly a whip overflow. In the (likely) event that someone gets oracle first, at least I won't have put in any hammers.

If you manage to get the Oracle, what tech will you take as a freebie?

Code of Laws is usually what I prefer to take, but with an Industrious leader, getting Metal Casting early to build those cheap forges make a lot of sense to me. You may even get lucky and pop a Great Engineer, which can insta build a wonder of your choice too. I had one game where I had an early forge, the Pyramids, and the Hanging Gardens in one city, giving me a nice :gp: towards a Great Engineer which happened to be my 1st 2 Great People.

Anyways, I strongly second the motion for building the Oracle. Don't let those marble go to waste! ^_^

Top Bottom