Axis & Allies Buildings

Walter Hawkwood

RI Curator
And now, for something completely different, I'm bringing you the buildings ripped out of another Gamebryo-using game, Axis & Allies. There are units also, but these are generally of inferior quality compared to Civ; on the contrary, the buildings are just on par with your Civ modding needs (and don't tend to be too high-poly, as is the case with some EE2 buildings).

As the name of the game implies, it's all about WW2. This pack contains what is called "city centres" - the buildings that are supposed to act like a "palace". Each of them is provided with an animated flagpole; I don't know if the embedded animations will work in Civ, but I'm including the versions with flags as well as the ones without.

The buildings are as follows:

- Fareastern (Republic of China flag used)
- Commie (Soviet flag used)
- Orthodox cathedral (the only one without a flag, since it's kinda dumb to put flags on cathedrals)
- North African (Egypt flag used)
- Mediterranean (Italy flag used; this one also has an animated fountain)
- South American (Argentina flag used)
- North American (Canada flag used; also works greatly as generic European)
- Western European (Belgium flag used; but this is also a cathedral, really)
- Southeast Asian (Siam flag used)

Fantastic! I am working on an Argentina module and I can easily use that south america building. Although what type of building is it exactly?

Well, it looks like a church to me. Generally, in-game it is used as a "city center" for South American countries, I think. I just used Argentinian flag as an example.

Be my guest. :)

The only texture work I've done is the addition of flag textures (and the adjustment of model UVs to accomodate those). Oh, and I added transparency to the fountain water making it look nicer, thanks for noticing. Otherwise, everything is exactly as came with the game; I can't even say I had lots of trouble ripping it, unlike from EE2. I'll be posting more here, but I don't think there'll be much more useful stuff for Warhammer.

Love the mod, BTW, not in the least because I'm a WHFB fan. At times I want to do some texture jobs for Warhammer units & buildings; hopefully, I'll find time and opportunity. As for now, a small and simple present. Here's a texture file for witchhunter's hat (I play witchhunter in Warhammer Online, so I can't stay indifferent for that unit).

Attachments

• hat.rar
    6.1 KB · Views: 77
WOW that was unexpected :D thanks Walter! i would really love any help you could offer :) is there a limit to what games you can rip stuff from?

im glad you like the mod too :) there should be a more steady flow of patches soon once we sort out a big CTD issue.

sorry for hijacking your thread :p

Yeah, of course there is a limit - it's only directly possible from other Gamebryo-powered games. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamebryo

You might notice that Warhammer Online is in the list too, but unfortunately, I think there's no way currently to unpack its resource files (and there might never occur one, since it is a MMORPG), which is a pity.

Yeah, of course there is a limit - it's only directly possible from other Gamebryo-powered games. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamebryo

You might notice that Warhammer Online is in the list too, but unfortunately, I think there's no way currently to unpack its resource files (and there might never occur one, since it is a MMORPG), which is a pity.

you´d need a tool to extract files from mark of chaos, that would solve all the WHFB needs ;)
but i had no luck finding one. perhaps someone else is luckier

you´d need a tool to extract files from mark of chaos, that would solve all the WHFB needs ;)
but i had no luck finding one. perhaps someone else is luckier

I think that no such tool has been made yet. Anyway, Mark of Chaos models are generally very high-poly and wouldn't fit Civ well (actually, WHO might even turn out to be simpler).

nice work but.. what about a german building? :(

There is only specifically Reichstag there (and it is too high poly to bother, besides we already have Reichstag at CFC). No generic "Axis" city centre, although I'm finding it quite strange too, considering how there should be Hungary, Bulgaria, Romania etc. Italy at least is well off with Mediterranean one.

Hmmm, this is strange. I tried to use the SouthAmericaCityCenter01_flag.nif and it didn't work at all. I know I put the name in right because I copied the filename just to make sure. And its nothing wrong with my settings because I threw a random building in there just to check it. Its a module, so the folder structure (which has been tested with my other modules, and like I said I got a random building to work in its place). Anyway I was wondering if anyone else was having problems with this, or any other, building here? And also did I do anything wrong with the XML?

Code:
<Civ4ArtDefines xmlns="x-schema:Logia_CIV4ArtDefinesSchema.xml">
	<BuildingArtInfos>
		<BuildingArtInfo>
			<Type>ART_DEF_BUILDING_LOGIA</Type>
			<LSystem>LSYSTEM_3x3</LSystem>
			<bAnimated>0</bAnimated>
			<fScale>2</fScale>
			<fInterfaceScale>0.4</fInterfaceScale>
			<NIF>Modules\Argentina\UB\SouthAmericaCityCenter01_flag.nif</NIF>
			<KFM/>
			<Button>Modules\Argentina\UB\MissionAlamo_Var1_Button.dds</Button>
		</BuildingArtInfo>
	</BuildingArtInfos>
</Civ4ArtDefines>

Hopefully I can get this to work, because I looked at the building in NifSkope and it looks awesome. Thanks for any help in advance.

Hmmm, this is strange. I tried to use the SouthAmericaCityCenter01_flag.nif and it didn't work at all. I know I put the name in right because I copied the filename just to make sure. And its nothing wrong with my settings because I threw a random building in there just to check it. Its a module, so the folder structure (which has been tested with my other modules, and like I said I got a random building to work in its place). Anyway I was wondering if anyone else was having problems with this, or any other, building here? And also did I do anything wrong with the XML?

Code:
<Civ4ArtDefines xmlns="x-schema:Logia_CIV4ArtDefinesSchema.xml">
	<BuildingArtInfos>
		<BuildingArtInfo>
			<Type>ART_DEF_BUILDING_LOGIA</Type>
			<LSystem>LSYSTEM_3x3</LSystem>
			<bAnimated>0</bAnimated>
			<fScale>2</fScale>
			<fInterfaceScale>0.4</fInterfaceScale>
			<NIF>Modules\Argentina\UB\SouthAmericaCityCenter01_flag.nif</NIF>
			<KFM/>
			<Button>Modules\Argentina\UB\MissionAlamo_Var1_Button.dds</Button>
		</BuildingArtInfo>
	</BuildingArtInfos>
</Civ4ArtDefines>

Hopefully I can get this to work, because I looked at the building in NifSkope and it looks awesome. Thanks for any help in advance.

Have you tried setting <bAnimated>0</bAnimated> to 1? I don't really know if it'll help, but it's worth trying.

Have you tried setting <bAnimated>0</bAnimated> to 1? I don't really know if it'll help, but it's worth trying.

Damn, that didn't work either. I really like the building though, and it would work perfect with my Argentina module. But it isn't working. Has anyone else tested these out? BTW, neither one worked (with or without flags). I suppose I could check the other models as well, but has anyone got any of these to work?

OK, I tested it, and it turns out that it was causing trouble indeed (most other buildings in the pack are fine, save this one and the second last one - cathedral).

After lots of different shamanic procedures, I still got this building into a working condition; the only thing it lost is the embedded animations - so you can use the version with flags, but they aren't going to furl anymore, they'll be static. Fixed nifs both with and without flags attached.

Totally my bad - these two builidngs were at the end of the pack, and it seems I tested every single one except for those two - because by that time I was sure that everything's going fine. That's a lesson to me, never take anything for granted. If 5 buildings work fine, that doesn't mean the 6th will, too. :blush:

If anyone intends to use the "cathedral" thingy (the second last building on the picture), tell me, and I'll work with it; it's too time-consuming to do if nobody needs it.

Attachments

• SouthAmericaCityCenter01.rar
    29.1 KB · Views: 91
Have you played with the fscale? If the scale is to big the buildings won't be shown. Have you tried "<fScale>1</fScale>" or even smaller?

Top Bottom