1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

"Axis of Evil" now includes Pakistan and Saudi Arabia.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Skirmisher, Oct 15, 2005.

1. Skirmisher

Skirmisher Warlord

WASHINGTON (AFP) - The White House declined to challenge a report that President George W. Bush linked Saudi Arabia and Pakistan and worries about weapons of mass destruction in a conversation with British Prime Minister Tony Blair two months before the Iraq war.

The details of the January 30, 2003 telephone exchange were written down by Blair's private secretary at the time and are laid out in a US edition of "Lawless World," by Philippe Sands, according to The New York Times.

In one account the daily said it had reviewed, Bush told Blair he "wanted to go beyond Iraq in dealing with WMD proliferation, mentioning in particular Saudi Arabia, Iran, North Korea and Pakistan."

WMD is the abbreviation for "weapons of mass destruction," which is generally considered to comprise chemical, biological and nuclear weapons.

Asked whether he was challenging the accuracy of the book, Bush spokesman Scott McClellan told reporters: "I don't do book reviews, and I haven't seen the book."

Prodded again on whether he was contesting the account, the spokesman replied: "No, I haven't seen the book. I can only see what I read in The New York Times."

Asked whether Bush was satisfied that his concerns about both countries had been allayed, McClellan replied: "We appreciate what they're doing in the global war on terrorism. There's more that we can all do, and we're working closely with both those countries."

Details of the January 30, 2003 conversation between Bush and Blair, the daily said, were not included in an earlier edition of Sands' book published in Britain in February.

The notes taken by Blair secretary Matthew Rycroft, marked secret and personal, were addressed to Simon McDonald, then the principal private secretary to the foreign secretary, Jack Straw, the daily said

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20051014/pl_afp/usbritainiraqsarabia
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

The lack of denial must mean it's official policy.

2. CruddyLeper

CruddyLeper Unworshipped Deity

They had a conversation about it?

I thought GWB just sent Tony a list of orders which got slavishly obeyed.

I wonder whose thesis they're going to plagiarise to "prove" Iran is now hell bent on nuking the whole planet into dust within the next 5 minutes? :nuke:

3. Meleager

Meleager Stoned as a Statue

Maybe it will just be easier to make a list of what targets NOT to invade.

4. Elrohir

Elrohir RELATIONAL VALORIZATION

D'oh!

That about sums it up. :p

5. Ultima Dragoon

Ultima Dragoon FIRE! FIRE! FIRE!

Lessee... the list for what isn't going to be invaded someday....

America.

;)

6. Meleager

Meleager Stoned as a Statue

at least some parts of america that is ;)

7. The Yankee

The Yankee The New Yawker Retired Moderator

While there's no doubt the role those two countries and their leadership play (or look the other way) in support of terrorist groups...perhaps now is not the time to say it so, with the whole oil crunch and the fact that we're tied down in Iraq and Afghanistan. Better to keep such things as secret as possible.

At least challenge the damn report!

8. Dominus Romae

Dominus Romae Warlord

According to my view, America is going to face a major civil war. Liberal parts in the North will try to join Canada and become independent from Bush XVIII rule. Then, conservative south will be lead by Texas in a holy war against the North. The Red south will become Jesusland and the North will become the new Independent Republic of the Hot Chicks!

[/idiocy]

9. Colonel

Colonel Sandbox

No no, its United States of Canada and the other part is Jesusland

*quickly runs packs up as much stuff as posslbe and moves north.

10. I am the Future

I am the Future Oi Oi Oi !!!

Does Bush want a Nuclear War? This is the sort of thing that pushed North Korea. Saudi Arabia, Pakistan you better get Nukes fast or Bush will invade.
    I wish you Gods Speed, May the Force Be With You, Etc. etc.

11. Cuivienen

Cuivienen Deity

Pakistan already has nukes, though, and everyone knows it. That's what's really stupid. They're one of the declared nuclear powers (as opposed to Israel and North Korea, which are undeclared nuclear powers). They got them after India got nukes, and I believe the US supported Pakistan getting nukes at the time.

Declared Nuclear Powers:
    USA
    Russia
    UK
    France
    India
    Pakistan
    China

Undeclared Nuclear powers:
    North Korea (may be considered to be declared)
    Israel
    Ukraine (has not returned all nukes to Russia)
    Iran (?)

Former Nuclear Powers:
    Kazakhstan (returned all nukes to Russia)
    Belarus (returned all nukes to Russia)
    South Africa (dismantled nuclear weapons program in the early 1990s)

12. PriestOfDiscord

PriestOfDiscord (Not MobBoss)

Too late for Pakistan, they already have a few dozen. And Saudi Arabia is well known to have been in the market for a few years now.

Personally, Saudi Arabia would have made a lot more sense as the second country in our global jihad on terror after Afghanistan considering, you know, most of the terrorists involved in funding, planning, and executing the attack came from there. Anyway, haven't we had enough wars for this decade?

13. cgannon64

cgannon64 BOB DYLAN'S ROCKIN OUT!

- Bush is a coward and won't stand up to Saudi Arabia because they have him in their pocket.
    - Bush is a warmonger.

:rolleyes:

14. PriestOfDiscord

-Saudi Arabia is a breeding ground/global bank for terrorists.
    -Iraq wasn't.
    -We should have finished the job in Afghanistan before moving on to a second country.

:emoticon:

15. cgannon64

I wasn't trying to really argue either side, I was just pointing out some liberal doubletalk going on here.

Every other time Bush and Saudi Arabia have been mentioned in the same thread, people were frothing at the mouth at Bush's hypocrisy towards the Saudis. Now he takes a tougher stance - where is the applause?

16. PriestOfDiscord

Well, we are in the middle of two conflicts so threatening to start more just seems like a really bad idea. That being said I do support anything that makes the Saudis feel uncomfortable, I just wish we were in a better spot to act on it.

Edit: And why Pakistan? As far as dictators go, Musharraf isn't that bad. I'd rather have his finger on the red button instead of some talibanesque loon.

17. cgannon64

There is no real indication that Bush would start another war, just that he's trying to be tougher on Saudi Arabia.

18. The Yankee

The Yankee The New Yawker Retired Moderator

I can see why the timing would be horrible for that. We've known long before Iraq (and while we had 150,000 or 200,000 soldiers in Kuwait) about the Saudi activities. Probably would have been better if the divisions had made a left turn instead.

Plus they do have a lot of oil...and we're kind of needing that now. Yeah, it'd make the oil situation terrible back in 2003 or whenever we decided to hypothetically attack Saudi Arabia.

But...I'd be content if we did things covertly, at least for now. No need to show everyone our playbook.

19. amadeus

amadeus Serenity now!

That's pretty poor logic. North Korea wants nuclear weapons because they want the weapons, not because of whatever the U.S. administration says.

20. Stapel

Stapel FIAT 850 coupé

From Aussie TV.

Relax folks, please don't give me whining crap like this is an anti-american thingy. Interviews like this can be made anywhere in the world. Just interview 200 people, and you get a dozen answers like these.

However, it is extremely funny.
    Especially that guy that never realised that North Korea was so much bigger than South Korea :) .

Beware, the F-word is mentioned once

laugh!