1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

"Axis of Evil" now includes Pakistan and Saudi Arabia.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Skirmisher, Oct 15, 2005.

1. Meleager

Meleager Stoned as a Statue

:lol:

Gees... never knew that korea, france, and saudi arabia are inside australia :hmm:

2. Ultima Dragoon

Ultima Dragoon FIRE! FIRE! FIRE!

The post before Meleager's makes no sense to me.

3. silver 2039

silver 2039 Deity

Pakistan has 80-100 nukes last time I checked. And Pakistan is not a good country to have nukes considering they activley aid terroists and there are powerful fundamentalist elemnts in that society.

4. h4ppy

h4ppy You sir, pineapple?

The problem with invading Saudi Arabia, other than the oil stuff, is that parts of it are supposedly sacred ground and we can't walk on it without motivating people to become terrorists.

5. Dominus Romae

Dominus Romae Warlord

You just have to know where to invade. If you dismiss the ignorant people in the defense department, then you will be aware that bombing Meca and the Caaba will be enough to make the whole arabs turn against you.

However, if I were Bush I wouldn't invade Arabia now. This could have ugly results in the Islamic world.

6. farting bob

farting bob ThEy MaDe Me Do iT.

Can you imagine if iran decided to formally make a list of "evil countries that need to be invaded" and put USA at the top of the list? Imagine the outrage from middle america! Bush's list does a good job at summing up why the world hates america right now.

7. Rhymes

Rhymes Drive 4 25 is back

if i was Bush i would never EVER invade Arabia. It could have ugly results in the american world.

8. Dominus Romae

Dominus Romae Warlord

This could have terrible results everywhere. Bush would be doomed, and the constant need of soldiers in the front would force the government to expand the draft around the US. It will be like during Vietnam war. Mass protests and riots everywhere.

9. Dominus Romae

Dominus Romae Warlord

There is an interesting quote from Elizabeth I in the civ3 manual: "no matter if the whole world hates you, if you control the trade routes and have a powerful army (something like that. Correct me if I'm wrong), then you will be respected."

10. Gr3yL3gion

Gr3yL3gion Voice of Madness

Saudis better get some nukes soon.

11. The Last Conformist

The Last Conformist Irresistibly Attractive

The Saudis don't need nukes as long as the oil lasts.

12. Louis XXIV

Louis XXIV Le Roi Soleil

Actually, I wouldn't be suprised if Osama bin Laden would be thrilled if we invaded Saudi Arabia. Not only will it attract people to his cause (like you said), but he could topple whatever government follows the current one and give him control of Arabia, which is something he's wanted for a long time.

Hasn't North Korea done stuff like that already? And Venuzuela keeps making accusations that the US are planning to invade (although we might be, I'm not sure). Countries do that all the time. I've come to expect it. WWI had secret treaties about dividing up the entire world. By comparison, this is much more limited.

13. farting bob

farting bob ThEy MaDe Me Do iT.

Im sure it wont be long before the united states "has undeniable proof that saudi arabia has WMD's" from sketchy spy satelittle photos of square buildings. thats all the proof they need.

14. The Last Conformist

The Last Conformist Irresistibly Attractive

The only proof that would make America invade is if the KSA started nuking or gassing its neighbours.

15. cgannon64

cgannon64 BOB DYLAN'S ROCKIN OUT!

Exactly. Invading Saudi Arabia is a bad idea, whether we are tied up we are in other countries or not.

Getting tough on Saudi Arabia, however, is not - and this is just what Bush seems to be doing.

16. Cuivienen

Cuivienen Deity

Okay, you're Indian, so just a slight bias there ;)

Pakistan is one of the most moderate Muslim nations, up there with Turkey for its secular reforms. While Musharraf is a dictator, he is a somewhat benevolent one, and violence between India and Pakistan has dropped during his rule.

If I had to trust a Muslim country with nukes, only Turkey would come higher on the list than Pakistan for the simple reason that Turkey has no significant border disputes.

And "getting tough on Saudi Arabia" won't do anything. If the US annoys the Saudis, the Saudis shut off the oil. The US can't invade because that, too, would shut off the oil, and some stupid soldier would make a mistake in Mecca, and it wouldn't be pretty all around the world. There's nothing Bush can do with his current pro-oil stances that will make Saudi Arabia do anything it doesn't want to do.

17. blindside

blindside formerly god

Well Silver wants to see bloodshed and violence so obviously hes not happy with the way things are going now. Meanwhile he can go get drunk in school and be really cool about it.

18. The Yankee

The Yankee The New Yawker Retired Moderator

It'd also probably be tactically stupid if it were done with the same force that went into Iraq. But that's aside the usual stupidity of trying something like that, at least at the moment.

I wonder if it will be actually getting tough or a paper tiger. Hope it'd be the first one. But they'd need to tread carefully. The fundies in the country are waiting for their chance to take out the House of Saud...and we would love the Saud royal family in charge compared to those who want to take Riyadh.

19. Skirmisher

Skirmisher Warlord

Mots nations probably have stacks of files on the US playbook. There are around thirteen intelligence services in the US, and you would say there are no moles with insider knowledge in any of them?

Of course there is no mention of Syria, so this leak could just be a case of dis-information.

20. Louis XXIV

Louis XXIV Le Roi Soleil

The sad fact about Pakistan is its a country that is waiting to fall into chaos. If the current government collapses, whatever follows it is sure to be some kind of Muslim extremist group. Its part of the reason people think that Osama bin Laden hasn't been found. He's hiding in Pakistan where the government doesn't want to provoke unrest by going after him (since where he is hiding isn't friendly towards the government) and if the US took any action, it might topple the government, which will be extremely counter productive, since it would result in extremists getting their hands on Pakistan's nukes.