1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Axmen inacuracy

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by Ermak-, Apr 12, 2009.

1. Belisar

Belisar Defender of Byzanz

Rolo is right about the Hittites, they were the first to use and make iron weapons in this region, had even a monopol for some time.

About the axeman unit: the first weapons made from copper were indeed axes and spears, copper is not hard/solid enough to make long swords.
    Swords were then made from bronze, an alloy of copper and tin and were then displaced by iron weapons.

2. michael_g24

michael_g24 Chieftain

fire emblem ftw!!!

3. troytheface

troytheface Deity

the axe looks good as a unit and Kadesh was one of the earliest battles and they had axes and chariots to which Civ4 gets extremely close.

but skirmishers are more relevant after that- javalin throwers, slingers, light troops...
    which were good against like elephants, or in hannibal's case made a significant contribution to the victory

axe as skirmisher you can buy, but then they upgrade to mace? which is not very skirmisher like.

Hittites with three man chariots like in history and civ3. Skipping that is almost as bad as the greatest civ faux paux ever of never having the Assyrians- like the first war civ.

4. Spiceweasel

Spiceweasel Warlord

To keep the game playable, it's pretty important that different units be clearly distinguishable - not just visually, but conceptually. They easily could have made the progression Sword1, Sword2, Sword3, Sword4, Musketmen. But that's bland and confusing.

As an example of the importance, look around at some of the ornamental chess sets out there. You'll find some where the pieces are made of two different metals that, in low light, are hard to tell apart. You'll see some where the pawn is hard to tell apart from the bishop, and where the king and queen are easily confused. Sure, they look pretty, but they get in the way of a player's ability read the board.

As another example, think about some of the bad toolbars you've seen on applications. If there are seven different buttons that all look like the same thing, but with different trim, you can't easily pick out which one you need to press.

I'm not saying a sickle-swordsman is necessarily a bad idea. I'm just defending Firaxis' choice in using highly distinct and recognizable symbols for their units, in the interest of playability.

5. Cashew

Cashew Prince

Another historical thread that has nothing to do with strategy.

MOOOOOOOOOOOOODS!

6. r_rolo1

r_rolo1 King of myself

And, Spiceweasel ?....

I don't think that anyone would confuse a khopesh....
    Spoiler :

... or a spear.....
    Spoiler :

... with a iron age sword:
    Spoiler :

Or it is just me?

7. Zack

Zack 99% hot gas

:spear:

Spoiler :
    10char

8. Calder

Calder Warlord

Interesting reading that source link. From my new Ancient Civilizations book series I'm collecting it reads:
    "Although fragments of a Mespotamian smelted iron dagger blade from the 28th Century BC have been found, there is no evidence of extensive use of iron in Mesopotamia or Egypt before the end of the 2nd millennium BC. However, Asia Minor's iron industry probably began as early as 2000BC."

9. CornPlanter

CornPlanter Emperor

Actually spears killing swords do not make much sense either. Guess why was Roman gladius so devastating against phalanx? :)

And we must consider not only weapons, but also strategy / tactics / formations / whatever.

10. Ai Shizuka

Ai Shizuka King

Spears killing swords actually make sense to me. Guy with sword simply can't hit guy with spear without impaling himself.

About the Romans, you answered yourself:
    "And we must consider not only weapons, but also strategy / tactics / formations / whatever." Can't do much vs gladii when half of your phalanx get the face full of pilum when the melee fight isn't even started.