1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

AZ-01: Donut World

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Succession Games' started by azaris, May 19, 2007.

1. azaris

azaris King

Since this is my first SG, we'll take it easy. The other current SG geared for beginners is running vanilla, so this one will be Warlords.

Version: Warlords 2.08
    Mods: NO
    Leader: Cyrus (Persia)
    Difficulty: Prince
    Map: Great plains
    Size: Standard
    Starting era: Ancient
    Speed: Normal
    World wrap: Toroidal
    Opposition: 6 random AIs

Special rules:

Diplomatic victory OFF (we want a slugfest)
    No vassal states (fight to the death, baby)

The settings are geared towards warfare and mayhem, so a domination/conquest victory is probably on the cards. The choice of Cyrus as our leader is still open, but I've never played him on Warlords and would like to try. Feel free to suggest changes.

After the first turnset it's going to be 15 turns per turnset, until a suitably decided moment, after which it's 10 turns till the end. We'll follow the standard SG rule of 24 hours "got it" and 48 hours "to play and report" starting after the "got it". I'd also like to adopt some standard SG base rules like:

- Discussion/consultation over major decisions.
    - No worker automation.
    - No goto orders.
    - If your turnset ends in the middle of something complicated, leave signs/mention it in your report.

So far the roster looks like this:

1. azaris
    2. dawn
    3. Sealot
    4. eznihm
    5. Aoxomoxoa
    6. Orion071
    7. Codeman

Special advisor: Rex (in charge of :old: and :gripe: when we do stupid things)

2. Codeman

Codeman King

i would love to but am currently in 2 SGs and don't have the time.

3. azaris

azaris King

Codeman, would you be willing to be in sixth place? This game looks to start slowly (come on people, join up, there aren't too many easy prince-level SGs starting nowadays), so it will probably take a few weeks before you'd be up. Or maybe you could be on auto-skip until your other SGs finish?

4. Orion071

Orion071 Home School Tutor

I wouldn't mind playing in this. I've never played an SG before, but I win 99% of my games on Monarch, so Prince would be a good level to start. Cyrus is a good choice for a great plains map since will almost be guarenteed horses for a fast start.

Unfortunately, I'm heading to the beach this weekend, so I wouldn't be able to start until next weekend at the earliest. If I'm 4th or 5th on your list, that won't be a problem.

5. azaris

azaris King

Great, Orion071, you're in. Like I said, the start will take a while.

6. eznihm

eznihm Chieftain

i would like to play. this is my first sg too, but I have been playing civ since civ 2 and i understand major concepts. i have problems warmongering, and am looking to improve my skills in that area.

7. Rex Tyrannus

Rex Tyrannus 280lbs of gross stupidity

Hey guys, if you need an advisor, I'll be glad to join. Otherwise, if you just want to go through it on you own, I'll probably lurk for a bit.

8. dawn

dawn Redophile

Azaris, if you'll have me I'll join up on this one.

9. Sealot

Sealot Warlord

Long time lurker reporting on duty ;)
    I haven't yet finished a prince level game but dominated a few with nice score and technology lead. Pretty positive I can handle it, and hey who can go wrong if Rex is our advisor.. .. ....
    Let's hope we'll have horseys around and have some fun with Cyrus UU!

Toroidal world wrap.. that means the world is like real world, not a flat gameboard, right?
    Has been a long time since I played a game without default settings.

10. Codeman

Codeman King

welcome to the boards sealot.

I would be glad to join, in last spot.

11. pholkhero

pholkhero Deviant Mind

de-lurk

obviously, you're new here :lol:

/delurk

12. Xyqtt

Xyqtt Chieftain

monarch should be doable with players who win by themself at prince normally. So you guys should be able to do that even if your just comfotable at prince. But a good id to make an sg for new players

13. mice

mice Moose

Not a sign up just lurking.

Why Donut world? Is it because the map is torroidal?

If not, then it's just a great name for an SG. Great to see new players SGing.

14. Aoxomoxoa

Aoxomoxoa Prince

I'll join up if you'll have me.

Aoxo

15. Orion071

No doubt. I just played a game on my own with these settings for practice and won a conquest victory in 520 AD. This game will be short and brutal at Prince. I'd be willing to kick it up a notch, but if you guys want to stick with Prince, then that's fine too. I just want to get my first SG under my belt.

As long as we start in the middle "Plains area" with the all of the horses and cows, then this will not be too tough. It will be good practice for an early rush, something I don't do all that often.

16. azaris

azaris King

Ok, we're good to go. The roster is up and I'm rolling a start next. Rex ( :worship:) will be our special advisor and can grab the save in case of a skip if he feels like it. Otherwise the more experienced players are welcome to give us some pointers.

The mighty Persians start with Agriculture and Hunting:

Here is the future home of the great Farsi civilization:

We miss out on the gems if we settle in place, so I'm thinking settle where the scout is now (1 SW + 1 S). There is probably flood plains to the south and southeast, I could move the scout 1 SE first to see if we're missing out on anything good by settling to my suggested spot.

Mining (for the gems), Bronze Working, The Wheel, and Mysticism (for the monument +:) effect) are probably our first order of teching business. As for the initial build order, I would make a warrior first, then a worker. There's nothing to chop here, so we have to build our first settler the old-fashioned way :whipped:.

17. Sealot

Sealot Warlord

I'd say move scout to east before deciding where to settle.
    If it doesn't seem like a better place then just settle on scouts starting tile.
    Remember we can get the gems on second city too, though it would be good boost to have them on capitol in start.

I assume we are doing an early rush here, so we have two choices. Either we do it with axes or immortals (or both?). Atleast research animal husbandry after bw if we don't happen to have copper near. Immortals aren't the best UU but as long as our opponent still has archer and no axes we could easily take out atleast one :) edit. Forgot, chariots have 100% attack bonus against axes too in warlords. Do immortals have the same bonus?

Is this Monarch now as suggested or are we still going with prince? Whichever goes for me.

18. azaris

azaris King

Forgot about Animal Husbandry, yes, we definitely want to get that early what with the cows and all. Immortals are basically 6 STR against archers and 8 STR against axemen. If we don't have to face anything else then Immortals are sufficient, or what do you think? Let's hope we don't run into Alexander, Shaka, or Monty.

The difficulty level is prince.

Here is what the scout sees in the east:

Nothing too exciting except for that funny patch of grass in the middle of flood plains.

19. Orion071

I'd settle 1W of where the Settler is right now to get all 3 cows and the gems. Forget Mining first, the happy cap is high enough to start and Horses are far more important. I'd go AH -> Wheel -> Mining -> BW.

Have the Scout do a sweep around the capitol and try to reveal everything within a 10-square radius so when AH is done, we know where to settle city #2 (near the Horses).

Start with a Worker, then a Warrior that finishes when the city is size 2, then a Settler to get those Horses. If we're lucky enough to have Horses in the city radius, then settle city #2 in the biggest production area you can find close by (near a bunch of cows and hills).

The good thing about this map is that we can settle pretty far away from the capitol along the river and still be connected. In my practice game, the nearest horses were about 10S of the capitol along a river. Just build a pasture and both cities were connected to the Horses.

It looks like we're just on the edge of the western mountains (of course in Donut World that doesn't matter too much). The happiness resources will be west of us, and the cows and horses should be to the east and south.

20. Orion071

I don't leave until tomorrow, so I could either start or go second and then I should be back before it goes around again. Otherwise I'll be back on Thursday.