AZ-04: It's the Stupid Economy

After a quick check on the save, I agree with making Toku a vassal. He has a farfaraway city ( most surely a captured barb one) and dragging the war because of a city would be not good ( make peace now and looking for the lost city to obliterate them migth be not good too )

If we don't vassalise Tok then someone else will. Diplo penalties for one faraway city is debatable however, so it may be better to let an AI have that problem. Maybe just go for peace and aim to consolidate and improve economy.

Vassalizing Toku would be foolish as we won't gain anything significant from it. I didn't notice the far off city, but that will be a big maintenance drag.

I'd take these Osaka and the one to its north then make peace.

I agree with making peace with Toku after taking osaka and to see what happens ( probably he'll vassalize to ZY ). Not worth to get a -1 in diplo for a farfaraway city and a non trader and furious vassal.

Will play and post tonight.

Turn 1 – Took Osaka without losses

Spoiler :

Turn 2 – IBT ZY made a offer ( refused by now )

Spoiler :

Turn 3 – Someone is using spies on us:

Spoiler :

Time to make some for city garrison

Turn 4 – The siege of nubian starts: 1 CGII Drill I archer down one more + 1 cat to go. Started Moai in Uxmal as discussed before

Spoiler :

Turn 5 – Toku is no more ( he was nice in giving us those workers ):

Spoiler :

It costed 1 sword ( the guy done another archer IBT )

Reassigned espionage points to ZY 12 Han 8 (2:1)

Turn 6 – IBT Edu is researched. I set Lib ASAP ( someone has built Sankore, so we have a contender to it , next player can hold it if he feels safe to do so ( Chemistry would be nice as lib tech, but we still don’t have Gunpowder ) )

Spoiler :

Turn 8 – Han is starting to spy more on us (259/272). I’m not sure that spy we caught was from toku.... and by the way he made this offer IBT ( refused too )

Spoiler :

Turn 9 – Han got a GS. No sweat... he doesn’t have paper :p

Status in 1250

Power

Spoiler :

Espionage

Spoiler :

Maps

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Top 5 cities ( notice the first one : has 2 holy shrines (hindu and jewish), henge, Haghia, Artemis and SoZ .... I believe that this guy is our contender to the win. Probably Ind with interest in religion grabbing and probably a decent techer.... I bet that is HC )

Spoiler :

Thoughs

Some missionaries are en route to the ex japanese cities for : ) and Culture.

Lib in 3 turns at 70% @ -31 gold. I believe that is somewhat safe to detour to another tech ( like gunpowder ) to a better grab, but like I said before someone has built sankore 1 turn before we finished the research of Edu ( AFAIK without GE ). This IMHO requires some team input ( in spite of my personal belief that the AI that made sankore is after the free GM from Economics )

Mutal is building wall ( for the castle espionage 25% in the future ). Our capitol will be a monster city when fully deployed ( maybe IW + Beauro ? )
We have a spy in Carthage waiting for the 5 turns discount. Feel free to do whatever you wish with him. Maybe we should send another to ZY territory ( there is a work boat avaliave to scout ZY shores

Roster

azaris (on deck)
remconius
kirbystarfan
Swiss Pauli
r_rolo1 (just played)
pigswill (UP for 10 turns)

And Save

Good luck, pigswill! :goodjob:

P.S Sorry for the spoilers.... forgot to resize images :(

Time to start making plans. Having a rampant tech whore on the other continent could spell havoc on our variant. Right now there's not much we can do about that, haven't even got Compass yet.

We could trade Paper to ZY for Aesthetics+HBR, take Nationalism from Lib, research Literature, Music, and Military Tradition. That's 19 turns and we have cuirassiers.

Got it.

Had a quick look. Hanny ain't keeping up with tech very well. ZY is doing ok.
ZY trade looks ok. Maybe get feudalism from Hanny.

Worth thinking about Forbidden Palace somewhere in Japan.

Maybe do liberalism-nationalism-taj mahal. An old trick but a good one.

I'd prefer to go compass-optics-astronomy myself. I think we need to consolidate and grow before our next war.

As far as i can see it, we have 3 big options:

-Continue with lib, get Natio, do the azaris proposed deal and get MT and cuirassers

Pros

Easiest path and don't put lib in risk
Opens the path to democracy

Cons

Han ( our next(?) target) has phants

-Delay Lib, compass -> Optics , lib astro

Pros

Give us the means of reaching the outer civs, opens new tech trades and more $ trade routes ( and give us harbours as well )

Cons

Risky
We can't use Observatories
No new land units

-Delay Lib, Gunpowder , Lib chem

Pros

Grens
2 techs to cannons ( even if nerfed, they still are awesome units )

Cons

Risky
Points us to the war path ( we need rebuilding first )

Normally, I'd go with the Cuirassers (sp?), but since Hannibal has elephants, I'd say we should go for Grenadiers. Does the AI still beeline to Rifleman?

^^But the Engineering tech that we need to grens would give us pikes to defend of Han phants.

The gren path is the more solid ( in spite of being a longer lasting bet) military aproach, the Cuirasser is the fastest and safest aproach, and the Astro path is the best eco + diplo path. I agree the best compromise would be the astro path ( even if just because of the trade routes )....

I'm in favour of optics because there's a big world out there, new 'friends' to meet and new territories to explore and occupy.

However a problem with atronomy route is that we lose Colossus with astro which is not so good. Maybe exploration will reveal territory that we could reach by galley.

Lurker's note:
Chemistry no longer gives you grenadiers!
To get them you need Military Science, which has Chemistry as its prereq.
I suppose this might change your plans :p

Ok. What about going lib (nationalism), compass, optics then beeline cuirassiers. Try to stay at peace and grab Taj.

^^I would prefer the astro route. Cuirassiers will have a not so nice day if we need to face Han's phants ( a reason to go against ZY? He's not so far away from his UU... Maybe we should get this change to at least weaken him ). Astro combined with Chem gives Privateers, a good way to cripple pre-frigates foes and friends and would open intercontinental trade routes ( far more lucrative that our current ones. By the way, the Great Lighthouse is overseas... )

I would certainly go for astronomy if we didn't have Colossus. Fair point re cuirassiers vs phants. I'm not going to get very far in ten turns. So maybe I'll play my set and head for optics by which time we may have reached a decision about where to go next.

Edit: Time to play.

Top Bottom