1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Azimuthal Earth with TSL 122x100 0.5 ---> Steam Workshop

An Equal-Area Projection of the Earth with TSL

1. Skyrex

Skyrex Chieftain

Skyrex submitted a new resource:

Azimuthal Earth with TSL 122x100 - An Equal-Area Projection of the Earth with TSL

Read more about this resource...

2. Skyrex

Skyrex Chieftain

Skyrex updated Azimuthal Earth with TSL 122x100 with a new update entry:

TSL Update

Read the rest of this update entry...

3. GabrielFM07

GabrielFM07 Chieftain

Uh dude, Brazil's Capital isn't São paulo. Brazil has a Federal District, as does the United States. And our capital is in the federal district, just as in the United States, Sao Paulo is not a capital, it is just an economic pole in South America, to say that São Paulo is the capital of Brazil is the same as calling New York Capital of the United States only because it is an economic center in North America. :nono:
    ̶S̶o̶r̶r̶y̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶m̶y̶ ̶b̶a̶d̶ ̶e̶n̶g̶l̶i̶s̶h̶

4. Skyrex

Skyrex Chieftain

I know that Brasilia is your capital. I will probably change it, and I never thought Sao Paulo is your capital (Although it was before Brasilia became it). I just chose Sao Paulo as it is the Bigger City and economically and strategically more important, so I thought it would fit the purpose for civ better.

GabrielFM07 likes this.
  5. lafittejean

lafittejean Chieftain

I've been enjoying playing your world map, I've never tried an azimuthal projection style before but it does a good job of making continents like Europe not feel tiny and cramped even with the high density of TSL neighbors. However, and I know this is a limitation of the projection but have you looked into the extreme condition of the Southern tip of the continents like the Cape of Good Hope region seems a bit smashed with how the arctic is reduced to a one tile wide channel. I realize that it's a limitation of the projection type but is it possible to alter the African continent's shore to make the Southern point a little more like a continuation of an ocean?

6. Skyrex

Skyrex Chieftain

That would result in a way too large red sea or in an afrika with not the right amount of space, so no.
    You simply can't project a sphere-surface into a rectangle and retain all proportions. For me azimuthal is the best compromise.
    The main distortion areas on my map are on the southern hemisphere, which is mostly water anyways and we only have two civs from there. And it's also just the shape, it's still the right amount of area. (Except australia and antarctica, since I cut off most of the pacific side as it's mostly water)

I included antarctica, it's just at the bottom between africa and south-america, if that is the important thing in your question.

And you meant ant-arctic-a. The arctic is only in the north.

7. Agent327

Agent327 Observer

Nice job! :goodjob: (Although I'm a bit confused about the Great Reef being near Jakarta instead of east of Australia.)

8. Skyrex

Skyrex Chieftain

It's because there is no east of australia. All you see is the western end of australia and I even shifted that more west than real to even get some australia in

9. Agent327

Agent327 Observer

OK. So I guess no Maoris either then. ;)

10. DOmar1990

DOmar1990 Chieftain

I love this map!!!! There's only one thing bothering me so far: scarce resources. It seems like the map is settled up in ''scarce resources'' setting even if I choose the map to be with abundant resources. Choosing abundant resources does nothing to have the same map but with more resources. Can this be fixed somehow? Or can I edit the map to add resources myself?

11. Skyrex

Skyrex Chieftain

The resource selection does nothing. It doesn't work with custom made maps currently (at least those made with WorldBuilder) so you only see what I have placed manually. And that is a fair point, hence why it is still classified as alpha-state. I just completed my first real long game on the map and will soon start to do a refinement regarding the placement of resources and hills and stuff

12. Skyrex

Skyrex Chieftain

13. DOmar1990

DOmar1990 Chieftain

Thanks for the information and the updates. Will continue to follow the development in this amazing map. :)

14. Skyrex

Skyrex Chieftain

15. blackbutterfly

blackbutterfly Chieftain

Help!

I downloaded and extracted the .rar and checked AZIMUTHAL_EARTH in the Additional Content but the map doesn't show up.

16. Skyrex

Skyrex Chieftain

As clearly stated in the OP , you have to select the RULESET azimuthal earth. It won't show up under maps as Civ currently doesn't support it. If you select the Ruleset, you'll see the map lock into place and grey out.
    The Ruleset only adds the map, no other rules.

17. blackbutterfly

blackbutterfly Chieftain

D'oh!

I totally didn't notice that. Thanks! :)

Super frickin' awesome map BTW :goodjob:
    Once the mod tools come out you're gonna have to add the rest of Australia ;)

Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
  18. Skyrex

Skyrex Chieftain

Skyrex updated Azimuthal Earth with TSL 122x100 with a new update entry:

moved to Workshop

Read the rest of this update entry...