Aztec city names

spod

Warlord
Does anyone else struggle to remember the unpronounceable Aztec city names in Civ1?

To help me with this I tend to rename captured Aztec cities in a certain way, keeping their names close to the original Aztec but making them a little easier to remember.

Coatepec, for example, becomes Coatpeg. Chapultapec ends up as Clothespeg. Tucubaya (perhaps obviously) becomes Chewbacca and Tecamac is renamed as MegaMac. Zumpanco (a more difficult one) is inevitably renamed as Zumpancake.

I'm still struggling with the others so any suggestions for Chiauhtia, Ayontzinco, Itzapalapa, Itzapam, Mitxcoac and the rest would be very welcome!

Thank you in advance, O kind and helpful ones!

Does anyone else struggle to remember the unpronounceable Aztec city names in Civ1?

To help me with this I tend to rename captured Aztec cities in a certain way, keeping their names close to the original Aztec but making them a little easier to remember.

Coatepec, for example, becomes Coatpeg. Chapultapec ends up as Clothespeg. Tucubaya (perhaps obviously) becomes Chewbacca and Tecamac is renamed as MegaMac. Zumpanco (a more difficult one) is inevitably renamed as Zumpancake.

I'm still struggling with the others so any suggestions for Chiauhtia, Ayontzinco, Itzapalapa, Itzapam, Mitxcoac and the rest would be very welcome!

Thank you in advance, O kind and helpful ones!
Spoof names are fun.

Coatpeg works. Here are a few other suggestions I've used or just thought of:

Chapultepec: Catapult a peg

Tecubaya: Tech you buy, eh

Zumpanco: Some pancake

Ayotzinco is one I spoofed: I Don't Think So (the lolcat version is Ai Nawt Fink So)

Do you still use the Aztec leader's name? I usually spoofed them, so my Aztec leader was Monty Zooma.

(I'm sure any historians reading this are shaking their heads by now, and I actually did study Aztec history in college and the prof did teach us something of how to pronounce Nahuatl words).

> Tucubaya (perhaps obviously) becomes Chewbacca

Never going to be able to unthink this now...

The others (Coatpec -> Coatpeg, for sure!) I have had the though for though!

Top Bottom