Aztec Glory

kingfire87

Warlord
Hi, all. This story is (obviously) called Aztec Glory. It is a story about the Mesoamerican scenario in Conquests. I modded it a bit, so now the years that pass are a bit shorter, the start is 50 years earlier, and there is no time limit. Plus, each Civ starts with 3 cities. This is in narrative form, but I will first post the start location, then I'll start updating!

Since I don't have an account on Imageshack or Photobucket, all images will be at my website, at http://www.freewebs.com/worldofciv/pictures.htm

Those websites are free, y'know. It will help your story immensely if the readers can see the pictures here.

*Aztec Glory*

Prologue:
Etax walked to the wooden podium. His fine shoes made a clop-clopping sound and his small bronze knife jingled hauntingly.
This podium was at the public gathering place at the city of Texcoco. But, it was not just the people of Texcoco gathered at this venue. Citizens from the land of Texpan were also gathered here, listening to Etax. This man was a prominent leader, the greatest orator in all of Mesoamerica, the greatest Emperor of the Double Alliance. He, the leader, spoke in an important and convincing voice as he addressed the crowd.
“Gentlemen!” he said. “We are all gathered here today to discuss the treacherous city of Tenochtitlan. Although Tenochtitlan is a powerful city, greater in power than both other cities in the Aztec brotherhood, it has abused this great power! The Emperor, Atakna, can override any man and have anyone executed at the snap of his fingers! We must stop this treachery! We must end the treachery and make justice! If I am made Emperor, I will allow each city to have an influential governor and a senate with representatives from each of the three cities shall be made. There will be peace and justice in the Aztec Empire!
The crowd went wild. The Aztec people of Texcoco and Texpan all wanted to attack Tenochtitlan. They chanted their famous motto in a way that would haunt their enemies for ages: “Aztec glory! Aztec glory! Aztec glory!
The attack on Tenochtitlan was highly successful. The Emperor was sacrificed to the gods during the battle by the famed eagle warriors of Texpan and the fearsome jaguar warriors of Texcoco. The troops panicked when their leader was killed. The majority either fled or surrendered. Very few had the will to fight on. As Tenochtitlan fell that night, it was thought that the Aztec nation would live on in justice forever.
But nay, this could not happen. Years later, after the Aztecs had grown mightier than ever before, Etax tragically died of a disease. The man Etax named as his successor, Moctezuma, ascended to the throne. But, Moctezuma did not like the system of justice that Etax had instated. He wished for all power to be centered on the Emperor. He explained to the crowds how Etax’s disease must be a sign that the gods disapproved of Etax’s government system. So, all power was restored to the Grand Emperor, Moctezuma.
This was how the Aztecs became the fierce and militaristic power they are known as. Grand Emperor Moctezuma mobilized great numbers of archers, ax warriors, spear fighters, eagle warriors, and sacred jaguar warriors. They crushed the pitiful ‘barbarians’ that lived near them and rose as a powerful nation. The true Aztecs were born. The true Aztec Glory was born.

This looks like it could be interesting. :)
I've never played the mesoamerican scenario so I don't know what to expect, but I'll be following this.

[Suggestion]
Smaller scale (just bit) images or spoiler tagged images, so users would not have to scroll back and fourth to read text (atleast I have to). [/suggestion]

Otherwise I, like few people more on these boards, like these kind of a "story" game threads :)

When you post a large picture, you can resize it to fit on screen. Also, use spoiler tags to hide oversized pictures.

Chapter One: Battling the Barbarians

Moctezuma looked upon the great city of Tenochtitlan and smiled. The capital of the great Aztec Empire was prospering well. Outside his palace, jaguar warriors trained; practicing their skills in melee combat, footwork, endurance, and sometimes even archery. The Aztec army already had 1,000 men and was growing by the day. Moctezuma knew that the cities of Texcoco and Texpan had a small army of only 300 each, and were trying hard to keep up with the Tenochtitlan power.

Further away from Moctezuma’s great palace, men were being trained to build and construct. Tenochtitlan had plans to build a new city for the Aztec Empire, and Tenochtitlan was preparing men to do this job. 2,000 men were almost ready to leave Tenochtitlan and form a new city. It would be called Tlateleco.

Meanwhile, Moctezuma’s top advisors were working on a plan to build a great sacrificial altar, to appease the gods.

Moctezuma’s smile widened. “Tenochtitlan must be the greatest city in the world,” he thought. “Soon, it will be so great that any other peoples that may exist will bow down to it.

By sheer coincidence, that statement would soon be put to the test.

General Five Jaguars looked out upon his troops. The great Aztec warriors were ready to fight. An invasion by the hated Northern Barbarians was imminent. Although these barbarians weren’t very civilized, they had 1,500 men, outnumbering the 1,000 Aztec fighting men.

The small band of 100 archers was poised to fire. The moment the evil barbarians were within range, they would fire.

Shields bristled within the ranks. Bloodlust and hatred for the northern neighbors ran through these men.

It was at that moment when the huge invasion force of barbarians broke through the trees 100 feet away from the Aztecs.

Just as the archers were about to fire, General Five Jaguars yelled “Wait!”

The archers kept their arms prepared, but did not shoot.

The barbarians drew nearer. 90 feet… 80… 65…50… “FIRE!!!”

A deadly volley of arrows penetrated the barbarian ranks. 3 fell, never to rise again. 5 others were painfully wounded in the volley.

“Nock arrow,” came the command from Five Jaguars.

FIRE!!!

Several volleys of furious fire coursed into the ranks of the enemies. 40 men fell in 4 volleys. Now, it was time for the infantry to begin their fight…

Nakil readied his shield and stone ax. The barbarian now charging him was a medium-sized man who was ferociously waving around his ax. His sights were clearly set on Nakil. So, he took quick action to prevent a painful blow from his enemy…

Nakil took the offensive, striking with his ax. The enemy’s blade meeting his own made a resounding clang. Since, the opposing man had no shield, Nakil used his own shield to shove his enemy.

The ploy worked perfectly. The fearsome uncivilized brute was knocked to the ground, ax on the ground a foot away. It was simple for Nakil to strike a death blow with his carefully chiseled stone weapon.

At the moment when he struck the death blow to his enemy, another raider rushed Nakil, slashing his blade in a deadly arc that would have killed Nakil had he not held up his shield at that exact moment. As the enemy vibrated with the force pushed back upon him with the blocking of his blade, Nakil lashed out with his legs, kicking the enemy to the same position as him; on the ground.

The stunned enemy could do nothing as Nakil struck his neck Blood spilling from the wound as yet another barbarian was killed by the great warrior Nakil.

Since Nakil had scared off anyone who might oppose him with his mighty kills, he had an oppurtunity to look around. His comrades were having similar luck. The trained, ferocious, and well-equipped Aztecs easily defeated most of the unruly, unready, and unequipped barbarians.

This, combined with the fact that arrows were raining in on them, had a profound effect the invading troops’ morale. Instead of bloodlust, all that the invaders felt was fear. Fear that they would be chopped up by the fearsome Aztecs. Fear that they would never see their wives and children. Fear that the seemingly unbeatable Aztecs would swallow them up whole.

That was when the retreat began. With the marauding Aztecs close behind, the attackers who were now being attacked abandoned their weapons and anything not essential to marching.

After battering the back ranks of the retreating lines, the Aztecs stopped their pursuit, chanting the haunting cry of “Aztec glory, Aztec glory!” all the while.

More sacrifices to gods or the sun won't rise! (I know some tribes sacrificed to god, don't remember which one, too lazy to wiki/google it :) ).

Top Bottom