Aztec Leaders

CaptainReklaw

Chieftain
I have idea for rotating leaders in Civ explored in another thread.
Here are the Aztec leaders:

Huitzilihuitl Rise of the Mexica

Free builder after completing Tlachtli. +1 faith from plantations, +1 gold from plantations after __. Can build encampments on coast and lake tiles. +15% production towards encampments. +1 movement speed Eagle Warriors.

Itzcoatl Triple Alliance

Reveal the two City states nearest to your capitol. +2 envoys to each. All in the triple alliance have open boarders with each other. You gain a copy of their luxury resources and they gain a copy of your capitol’s luxury resources. Trade routes with these city states give an extra 2 Production, 1 faith, and 1 culture after ___.

Montezuma I Gifts for the Tlatoani

Improved Luxury resources provide an Amenity to 2 extra cities. +1 combat strength for all units for each different improved luxury resource in Aztec territory.

Axayacatl Great Sun Stone

+1 Great Writer point from Tlachtlis. Gain faith when military units die. +3 faith from sculptures. Have access to Sun Stone project in your capitol.

Sun Stone project: Can only be completed once. Cathedrals can store any Great work of art. Gain Great work of art (Great Sun Stone) sculpture.

Tizoc Huey Teocalli

+1 worker charge. Builders can use charge to complete 10% of a medieval wonders. Unlock a wonder in the cheapest unlocked tech/civic.

Ahuitzotl Flower Wars

All infantry units have a chance to capture workers. Eagle and Jaguar warriors are more likely to capture workers. +1 permanent combat strength every time a unit captures a worker. Workers can use all of their changes to build a fort.

Montezuma II Sacrificial Captives

Gain burst of culture for non-barbarian kills Religious units gain 5 HP per world age. Gain Atlatl UU.

Atlatl: Has one more range than the slinger which it replaces. +2 combat strength vs. ranged units.

Cuauhtemoc Jaguar Warrior

Burst of Great General points upon war declaration. +1 Culture from Barracks. Gain Jaguar Warrior UU.

Jaguar Warrior: Doesn’t require iron like the Swordsman it replaces. Heals 20 HP on kills. Faster movement in forest and jungle.

Benito Juarez Rurales

Infantry have +4 Combat Strength. Cities with an infantry garrisoned generate +1 Culture. +1 Culture from antiquity sites.

Lazaro Cardenas Indigenismo

Free railroad on oil wells. +10 tourism from conquered City-states. Culture boost from disbanding military units.

Porfirio Diaz Porfirismo

+1 gold from improved luxury resources. Great Generals and Engineers have extra charge if gained during a golden age. Gain extra gold (scales with current age) from clearing barbarian camps.

Diego de Alvarado Huanitzin Mass of St. Gregory

+3 gold from Relics. +2 Culture from Artifacts. Gain founder belief of all religions in your capitol. Have access to Featherworking project in your capitol.

Featherworking: Gain Religious great work of art.

Alvaro Obregon Mexican Muralism

+1 Great Artist Points from monuments. +20% production towards districts placed in desert. +1 tourism from seaports.

Vincente Fox Ranchos

+2 Diplomatic Favor per foreign trade route. Trade routes sent to Mexico from other civilizations provide +2 culture for them and +1 Diplomatic Favor for you. +1 production from non-hill desert tiles.

Huitzilxochtzin Cihuātlahtoāni

+1 era score from pillaging Campuses and Theater Squares. Can build Chinampa UI with State Workforce.

Chinampa: Built on lake tiles. +1 appeal, +2 food, +1 Production with ___, +1 Culture from each adjacent luxury resource, +2 faith with theology. Gain faith when pillaged.

Avila Camacho Mexican Miracle

Convert military policy slots to wild card policy slots. Airplane fighters generate 3 Diplomatic Favor each turn.

Pancho Villa Chihuahua

Light Calvary can move again after pillaging. Can buy desert cost for half cost. Can buy desert tiles with faith. Gain Chinaco UU.

Chinaco: Cheaper to produce than the Calvary which this replaces. Generates Great Artist and General points on kills.

Tenoch Eagle upon Cactus

Can settle cities on coast tiles with if three adjacent land tiles or lakes if two adjacent land tiles. Settlers can embark. +1 movement settlers. +1 faith from lake tiles.

Netzahualcoyotl Emperor Poet

+1 Great writer point from government plaza and each of its buildings. No settlers can be produced. +25% growth in capitol city. Nearby non-Aztec cities give an amenity to two Nearby Aztec cities.

Possible Shared Leaders:

Steven Austin Texas (Leads America and the Aztec)

+1 culture horse pastures, oil wells, and offshore oil rigs. +5 City defense. +1 food all non-Oasis desert tiles.

Hernan Cortez Estupendo Conquistador (Leads Spain and the Aztec)

+5 combat strength vs infantry. +3 combat strength on a different continent than your capitol. +1 Great General point from mines on Luxury resources.

Maximilian SMS Novara (Leads Austria and the Aztec)

+1 Great Admiral points per turn. Farms and Jungles yield +2 science if next to your warships. +2 movement for great admirals.

Bu Rubber People (Leads Maya and the Aztec)

Gain a Rubber Luxury resources in the nearest unimproved forest or jungle tile to your capitol. Luxury resources provide standard adjacency bonus to holy sites.

Melchor Portocarreo El Salto del Agua (Leads Inca and the Aztec)

Can buy Aqueducts at reduced cost. Non-ally religious spreads much weaker in your cities that have Aqueducts.

Thanks for reading my ideas. Note: Some ability concepts are taken from other mods. Feel free to use any of my ideas.

Benito Juarez Rurales

Infantry have +4 Combat Strength. Cities with an infantry garrisoned generate +1 Culture. +1 Culture from antiquity sites.
Hernan Cortez Estupendo Conquistador (Leads Spain and the Aztec)

+5 combat strength vs infantry. +3 combat strength on a different continent than your capitol. +1 Great General point from mines on Luxury resources.
Despite I think it's hard to have such leaders as Aztecs leaders, I would like if have it. Maybe changing the name of the civilization when it achieve the Hernan Cortez or Benito Juarez era. Or using the name Mexica over Aztecs, because Mexica cover all mexico history.

Despite I think it's hard to have such leaders as Aztecs leaders, I would like if have it. Maybe changing the name of the civilization when it achieve the Hernan Cortez or Benito Juarez era. Or using the name Mexica over Aztecs, because Mexica cover all mexico history.
Yes using the name Mexica instead of Aztec would be better. The Aztec called themselves Mexica, and the name Mexica better shows the transition and legacy of Aztec-Mexico empires. They is also a movement to use more endonym (Local names) instead of Exonyms (Foreign names) so it would fir into that movement if they used the name Mexica in Civ VII

Yes using the name Mexica instead of Aztec would be better. The Aztec called themselves Mexica, and the name Mexica better shows the transition and legacy of Aztec-Mexico empires. They is also a movement to use more endonym (Local names) instead of Exonyms (Foreign names) so it would fir into that movement if they used the name Mexica in Civ VII
The leaders listed after Cuaehtemoc are NOT Aztec leaders. This issue has been gone around and around on these forums, but the United Mexican States is NOT a direct continuation of the Aztec Triple Alliance Tributary Empire, nor a latter-day iteration of it, even by national self-identity.

Last edited:
The leaders listed after Cuaehtemoc are NOT Aztec leaders. This issue has been gone around and around on these forums, but the United Mexican States is NOT a direct continuation of the Aztec Triple Alliance Tributary Empire, nor a latter-day iteration of it, even by national self-identity.
That's true, but Gandi and Chandragupta are from completely different nations and empires. Qin Shi Huang and Kublai Khan led two completely different empires. and many other civ leaders are representing empires that wouldn't exist until long after them, or were more local leaders that were part of a nation that never formed into a nation or empire.

I wanted to have leaders from as ancient as I could go up until the modern day, so pulling from Mexico was the best idea for the more modern leaders. Mexico carries a lot of the culture of the Aztec (including their horrible location for a capitol city). I
always thought Mexico was more of cultural extension of Spain than of the Native Americans until I took a trip to Spain, and was shocked at how insanely different the two were. The main symbol of Mexico (the Golden Eagle on a Prickly Pear Cactus) shows the story story of Mexico City/Tenochtitlan.

It's true that Nationalism often makes pushes to make the current country more of a legacy of their ancestors than they actually are, which gives the false imprecation of one continuous people. Sid Meier's Civilization runs on this narrative with one Civilization with one continuing ability from ancient era to the future era.

PS. Diego de Alvarado Huanitzin was an Aztec leader after Cuaehtemoc The triple alliance collapsed before Cuaehtemoc became Tlatoani. Diego de Alvarado Huanitzin was a ruling Tlatoani during the Spanish empire, although he had little power and was more of a figurehead.

That's true, but Gandi and Chandragupta are from completely different nations and empires. Qin Shi Huang and Kublai Khan led two completely different empires. and many other civ leaders are representing empires that wouldn't exist until long after them, or were more local leaders that were part of a nation that never formed into a nation or empire.
I mean at least Gandhi and Chandragupta did have influence over most of the Indian Subcontinent, not to mention that Qin Shi Huang and Kublai Khan were both leaders of a Chinese dynasty, which is why I see that as different.
I wanted to have leaders from as ancient as I could go up until the modern day, so pulling from Mexico was the best idea for the more modern leaders. Mexico carries a lot of the culture of the Aztec (including their horrible location for a capitol city). I
always thought Mexico was more of cultural extension of Spain than of the Native Americans until I took a trip to Spain, and was shocked at how insanely different the two were. The main symbol of Mexico (the Golden Eagle on a Prickly Pear Cactus) shows the story story of Mexico City/Tenochtitlan.
Stephen F. Austin shouldn't be in the picture for either leading an Aztec, American, or even a Mexican civ.

Benito Juarez, funnily enough, is Zapotec but I still don't see him leading a potential Zapotec civ either.

Lumping together leaders of Mexico, that might not even have actual Mexica heritage, doesn't necessarily sit well with me irregardless of me not wanting this many (modern) leaders to begin with.

Last edited:
Benito Juarez, funnily enough, is Zapotec but I still don't see him leading a potential Zapotec civ either.
I would like to have Benito Juarez leading the Zapotec, since he was also governor of Oaxaca, and Oaxaca is the fusion of Zapotec and Mixtec territoy.
But I understand there is better names to Zapotecs leaders. Despite the fact I don't know the name of none of they XD
But I think is hard fireaxis remember the Zapotecs in Civ7, despite it should be an amazing addition to the game, Fireaxis looks to remember just the Aztecs and Mayas of Mesoamerica. Forgeting the Zapotecs, Mixtecs, Toltecs, Teotihuacan and Olmecs. All should be in this game.

Forgeting the Zapotecs, Mixtecs, Toltecs, Teotihuacan and Olmecs. All should be in this game.
All of them? In the same game? This seems a bit hypocritical, Henri, coming from someone who complains about too much overstacking of regions.

All of them? In the same game? This seems a bit hypocritical, Henri, coming from someone who complains about too much overstacking of regions.
It is not possible all in the same game because we don't know the language the Olmecs and Teotihuacans spoke, so they are out.

But, if we are able to put this 5 civs on Mexico I don't will be oposite of it. I'm just against the overrepresentation of Europeans, I think a place like Mexico not just could, but need to be overrepresented.

Last edited:
Is not possible all in the same game because we don't know the language the Olmecs and Teotihuacans spoke, so they are out.

But, if we are able to put this 5 civs on Mexico I don't will be oposite of it. I'm just against the overrepresentation of Europeans, I think a place like Mexico not just could, but need to be overrepresented.
So, you're ONLY against the overreprepresentation of, "Europeans," but not any other area? But that attitude is JUST AS BAD, and blatantly so. Hard demograohic defitinitionist-based thinking, especially artificial and arbitrary, "rebalancing," and, "revisionism," is the foundation of Colonialist, Appartheid/Segregationist, Stalinist, and Fascist (and often Theocratic) thinking (though, disturbibgly, it's infected Modern Social Progressivism, and is one of the biggest blows to their integrity as a movement), and nothing good comes of it. Rational and wholistic thinking are what's needed.

Is not possible all in the same game because we don't know the language the Olmecs and Teotihuacans spoke, so they are out.

As much as I'd like to see more Mesoamerican cultures in the game, I imagine it would be harder to come up with a lot distinct uniques for them. There's only so many spear throwing units, or Mesoamerican pyramids/ballcourts that you could do.

There’s a reason it’s called “overrepresented”. Mayans and Aztecs, maybe modern Mexico should be added. If we could get someone like the Zapotecs or Olmec in I’d be ecstatic, but I still want my European civs.

So, you're ONLY against the overreprepresentation of, "Europeans," but not any other area? But that attitude is JUST AS BAD, and blatantly so. Hard demograohic defitinitionist-based thinking, especially artificial and arbitrary, "rebalancing," and, "revisionism," is the foundation of Colonialist, Appartheid/Segregationist, Stalinist, and Fascist (and often Theocratic) thinking (though, disturbibgly, it's infected Modern Social Progressivism, and is one of the biggest blows to their integrity as a movement), and nothing good comes of it. Rational and wholistic thinking are what's needed.
Exactly what he said

As much as I'd like to see more Mesoamerican cultures in the game, I imagine it would be harder to come up with a lot distinct uniques for them. There's only so many spear throwing units, or Mesoamerican pyramids/ballcourts that you could do.
There are plenty of options:
- Colossal Heads is already a thing for Olmecs, it could be an unique monument. The real problem for Olmecs is the leader since Firaxis could take some liberties using Mixe or Zoque languages like they did with the Huns in CIV5 since we are not really sure what language Huns spoke.
- Observatory is also already a nice fit for Maya giving them the science focus.
- Chinampa as aunique improvement to build in water for Aztec is also a perfect option.
- Yacata for the Purepecha are semicircular temples that can get bonus from being next to wood sources, the Purepecha religion was unrelated to others mesoamerican beliefs.
- Voladores festival plaza is a nice option for the Totonac, a civ about trade and diplomacy.
- Mezcalera is a common sight in the modern Zapotec an Mixtec land, being an unique improvement to produce amenities from less atractive terrain.
- Calpulli could be used for the Teotihuacans, since Teotihucan is full of neighborhoods from people from different regions all around Mesoamerica, each one specializaed in diffrent crafts. By the way we alteast know a great Teotihuacan leader and the language could be Otomi.
So, here we have seven uniques without even use options like the Tzompantli, Tlachtli court, Calmecac college and Telpochcalli school. What about units...
- Ocelotl and Cuauhtli orders are default options for Aztec civ.
- Quangariecha warriors were armed with arch and bronze axes. In militar terms the Purepechas were more pragmatic being famous users of traps instead of the ritualized Mesoamerican warfare.
- Pochteca a unique trader that can be unlocked earlier (since dont use pack animals) plus also could have spy and explorer abilities. This unit fit nicely for Teotihuacans and Totonacs.
- Cruzob infantry armed with rifles would be a nice change for an Industrial Era Maya unique unit. Combat bonus from religious district would be part of their design.
Then any fifth Mesoamerican civ could use the regular Atlatl mesoamerican unit as unique.

Optios are many, there are no reasons beyond market recognition to not have more that the regular two mesoamerican civs on game.

There are plenty of options:
- Colossal Heads is already a thing for Olmecs, it could be an unique monument. The real problem for Olmecs is the leader since Firaxis could take some liberties using Mixe or Zoque languages like they did with the Huns in CIV5 since we are not really sure what language Huns spoke.
- Observatory is also already a nice fit for Maya giving them the science focus.
- Chinampa as aunique improvement to build in water for Aztec is also a perfect option.
- Yacata for the Purepecha are semicircular temples that can get bonus from being next to wood sources, the Purepecha religion was unrelated to others mesoamerican beliefs.
- Voladores festival plaza is a nice option for the Totonac, a civ about trade and diplomacy.
- Mezcalera is a common sight in the modern Zapotec an Mixtec land, being an unique improvement to produce amenities from less atractive terrain.
- Calpulli could be used for the Teotihuacans, since Teotihucan is full of neighborhoods from people from different regions all around Mesoamerica, each one specializaed in diffrent crafts. By the way we alteast know a great Teotihuacan leader and the language could be Otomi.
So, here we have seven uniques without even use options like the Tzompantli, Tlachtli court, Calmecac college and Telpochcalli school. What about units...
- Ocelotl and Cuauhtli orders are default options for Aztec civ.
- Quangariecha warriors were armed with arch and bronze axes. In militar terms the Purepechas were more pragmatic being famous users of traps instead of the ritualized Mesoamerican warfare.
- Pochteca a unique trader that can be unlocked earlier (since dont use pack animals) plus also could have spy and explorer abilities. This unit fit nicely for Teotihuacans and Totonacs.
- Cruzob infantry armed with rifles would be a nice change for an Industrial Era Maya unique unit. Combat bonus from religious district would be part of their design.
Then any fifth Mesoamerican civ could use the regular Atlatl mesoamerican unit as unique.

Optios are many, there are no reasons beyond market recognition to not have more that the regular two mesoamerican civs on game.
Other than, "overcrowding," one region arbitrarily over others. As I keep saying, though, a wholistic spread is what is needed.

Other than, "overcrowding," one region arbitrarily over others. As I keep saying, though, a wholistic spread is what is needed.
I said...
*Options
More than the regular two, so is three overcrowding?
And were I said the total number of civ in the game, or the list of civs from others regions to know if it is arbitrary?

Last edited:
"rebalancing," and, "revisionism," is the foundation of Colonialist, Appartheid/Segregationist, Stalinist, and Fascist
I don't understand this part, are you saying I'm in favor of that? Of course I'm not.

And I don't will mind if Mexico become overrepresented, they could be because they have unique civs enouth to do so.
There's only so many spear throwing units, or Mesoamerican pyramids/ballcourts that you could do.
We can think outside of the box, Mayans for example still living today, we can took an Maya unit of the Casta Wars (1847-1915)

I don't understand this part, are you saying I'm in favor of that? Of course I'm not.
Well, you are taking away civs in Europe just to stack them in other places. Just because India needs 3-5 civs doesn’t mean Ahmednagar joins in (maybe as a city state).
And I don't will mind if Mexico become overrepresented, they could be because they have unique civs enouth to do so.
I think you may be misusing the word “overrepresented”.
Spoiler :

1703196151243.png

Also me personally, the Olmecs, Maya, Aztec, and maybe Mixtec or Zapotec would be cool
We can think outside of the box, Mayans for example still living today, we can took an Maya unit of the Casta Wars (1847-1915)
Ok, thats basically saying Muhammad Ali Pasha could lead Ancient Egypt. That makes completely no sense.

Ok, thats basically saying Muhammad Ali Pasha could lead Ancient Egypt. That makes completely no sense.
Egypt under Muhammad Ali Pasha dynasty is closer to the hispanic Mexico and Yucatan, while Cruzob maya was closer to something like the Dervish somali.

Muhammad Ali was a foreign, raised and working for a foreign dominant power that achieved to sezie the authority of part of said empire for a group that keep the general foreign culture plus implement contemporary foreign influenced reforms. That is pretty much what the Criollo elite did in the independence of Mexico from Spain with Agustin de Iturbide, and later temporarily Yucatan itself did to Mexico. Meanwhile both Cruzob maya and Dervish somali movements were religious+ethnic militant movements with local traditionalist foundations.
So for the former kind the change was the consolidation of the foreign colonial elite and culture as a new local authority. While for the later kind the objetive was not only to get local authonomy but to shake off the foreign influence and restore their cultural roots.

Its neither fair to compare Egypt with 600 years of Greco-Roman influence, 300 years of Christianity and 1200 years of Mulism dynasties at the time of Muhammad Ali to the 300 years of Hispanic occupation at the beginning of the Caste War in Yucatan. Also would be funny to try to get approved the beliefs of the cult of "The Talking Cross" as truly Catholic of even Christian.

Now what @Henri Christophe said was...
Pointing only to the unique unit. Maya have some notable elements but militar units are not so clear as said the Aztec, that is why along not only CIV but also AoE, TW, Humankind and others historical based games they dont have a real regular unit. So look at modern maya militar history is as valid as CIV5 Danish Norwegian Sky Infantry for a civ leaded by a viking king (by the way Cruzob infantry are already in AoE3).

Top Bottom