1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Aztec - Montezuma I Thread

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by bite, Jul 21, 2016.

1. OnceAKing

OnceAKing Chieftain

What's also interesting is that defeating non barbarians is the way to get builders, that means you may want to keep some civs in perpetual war, just so you can keep enslaving their people.

This looks like the plan....
    Spam Eagle Warriors
    War with a neighbor and city states perpetually
    Keep gaining builders to help early cities
    Once the Eagle warrior is obsolete, conquer the weakened civs for their luxuries
    Your army becomes stronger and stronger and you have more and more citizens who need more amenities
    You conquer until you roll into a win or until your destroyed by a modern coalition.

I love the synergy although the side effect is, they're not very good at any other victory. Although you could argue that they conquer to an early advantage and then calm down for a science win. I doubt the AI would ever play that way

2. rastak

rastak Chieftain

Depends on his two agendas, right?

3. ehecatzin

ehecatzin Chieftain

That's exactly what I'm thinking, however I don't think it limits the Aztec options that much, sure early game you better be at perpetual war to take advantage of the Eagle warriors. But the rest of the bonus can also be used peace time as well, extra ammenities, rushing districts and faith from the UB are useful no matter what.

4. BornInTheLoo

BornInTheLoo Chieftain

Well spotted. The whole of Tenochtitlan was, so it makes sense.

5. Socrates99

Socrates99 Bottoms up!

They share similar facial hair patterns with East Asians. I don't have enough Cherokee in me to really talk about but just enough to screw up my beard. :sad:

I'm digging the Aztecs. Even the Eagle Warrior UA appeals to a strategy I liked in 5. I used to DoW my nearest neighbor with no intention of taking cities, just stealing workers and enslaving settlers. You get very little backlash and the only Civ that hates you is severely crippled by your actions. Works out quite well.

6. winddysphere

winddysphere Chieftain

Wait what about luxury resources she mentions during the 0:24-0:37?
    I am sure that she mentions about Montezuma 1, eagle warrior, and the wonder.

7. Ikael

Ikael Chieftain

Wow, this came out from the left field! I really was expecting either Rome or Spain. Still, this is a quite interesting take on the Aztecs, so time for random musings:

- Aztecs gaining extra happiness and combat thanks to luxury resources seems like a really powerful ability that might very well be overpowered since it would be prone to snowballing: Acuire new territory => get more luxyury resources => get a more powerful army thanks to said resources => Acquire new territory via conquest, rinse & repeat. We might see how well balanced it is.

- One's gotta love how synergistic each civ is. Eagle warriors providing you with free workers is awesome and realistic, and then, huh, "spending" these extra workers in upgrading districts seems like a really powerful early game strategy, not to mention historically realistic (wage wars in order to get manpower to improve your wondrous capital!)

- The Unique building is extremely synergistic as well, further providing you with faith and great generals thanks to your extra resources. However, I really liked better the Aztec representation as an uber tall militaristic civ (Aztec religion wasn't as influential as say, the Mayan's)

- No floating garden district is a truthy missing opportunity for expanding the "play with the map" concept. Lakes and water tiles in general needs far more love in this saga :(

Well, luxury resources not only bring extra strenght to their units, but also extra amenities. That united to their UB, which provides extra faith, might allow the Aztecs to focus into tall / religious gameplay once they finish their early conquests.

8. kaspergm

kaspergm Warlord

That's NOT AT ALL what I was implying! You said that two of the four DLC's would likely just be maps. What I say is that I think (and most certainly HOPE) that each of the 4 DLC's will come with a Civ. Not a civ that's exclusive to those who have the deluxe edition. Those who have the regular edition can purchase each of these DLCs separately. My guess is this:
    - Each DLC will have a civ.
    - Of the four, only one (Aztec) will be available for Deluxe Edition owners at time of release, the other three will only be available at the time the DLC is released for everybody.
    - The price of the 4 DLCs bought individually will be more than the extra price of the deluxe edition (that's what they write on Steam).

9. anandus

anandus Errorist

Aw, I had hoped that the floating gardens would be a tile improvement (a bit like the Inca's terrace farm)

10. Liex

Liex Chieftain

This is probably my favorite civ so far, and I usually dislike militaristic civs.

11. ehecatzin

ehecatzin Chieftain

Haha, can't believe I missed the screenshot, yes, most of Tenochtitlan was built on top of a lake, oddly enough, the Huey Teocalli was some of the only areas that weren't built using the chinampa system, it was built on a small island on the lake, that's where the city was founded and grew from there.

that said:

It look really cool!, I can forgive the lack of chinampas if the Huey Teocalli has to be built on water, ok now the pros outweight the cons...I can't hate this civ,(despite Monty's design) I'm an Aztec fan.

12. TheMarshmallowBear

TheMarshmallowBear Benelovent Chieftain of the BearKingdom

But the deluxe clearly states, maps, scenarios, leaders and civilizations. So it implies in the description that at least SOME of it is maps.

In the past, where my speculation is, is that we've gotten Map Scripts as seperate DLCs.

You implied (or someone did) that it would be very low of them to include Map Packs in Deluxe.

Where I think it isn't bad because that Map Packs aren't exlusive to to the Deluxe edition.

Like Nebby, it eventually became a seperate DLC.

My point is that I expect Map Packs to be their own DLC and that said DLC is included in the Deluxe Edition.

I speculate that the Deluxe eidtion is simply a Season Pass to the early game.

The Aztecs are NOT part of Deluxe, because it clearly states that it comes to anybody who pre-orders it. Aztecs DLC thingy does NOT mention Deluxe Edition, therefore it is NOT part of the Deluxe pre-order, it is part of general game pre-order.

13. Uberfrog

Uberfrog Warlord

Same! It would've been so beautiful! Ah well, the Aztecs still look good fun, and they have a different tool for promoting growth in their Luxuries bonus.

14. Socrates99

Socrates99 Bottoms up!

If combat str scales similar to V it might actually get weaker over time or scale with the eras. +3 to a 25 str unit would be about the same as +9 to a 75str unit. It actually looks like you'd be forced to continue expansion or have your bonus weaken over time.

15. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Warlord

I see them as an early empire building through conquest of a nearby civ followed by infrastructure building and consolidation of your new land. That's how I'd probably play them, anyhow.

16. Nixalo

Nixalo Chieftain

It does.

The Aztecs didn't even mess with conquered landd as long as they got their tribute.

But if tribute wasn't paid....

17. kaspergm

kaspergm Warlord

Well I guess it's a question of whether they group the content horizontally or vertically, so to speak. I.e. if one DLC will have a civ (only), another DLC have maps (only), another have a scenario (only), etc., other whether each DLC will have a civ AND a map AND a scenario.

My point about it being low if they make one of the DLCs be maps (only) is not that I'm woried the maps will be exclusive to the DE - quite the opposite, really. My point is that maps generally have very little interest for players compared to the other content. Thus, if they anounce the Deluxe Edition as being "take this great offer and get FOUR DLCs", and then it turns out that two of the DLCs includes stuff that most players wouldn't want to buy anyway, then they are basically selling us the cat in the bag.

18. Nick31

Nick31 Chieftain

Another exciting UA reveal.

Very, very curious about this one. Especially for us playing on higher difficulties, it remains to be seen how early warfare vs. early cooperation will fare... or if it will be truly game-to-game as Beach says, depending on neighbors, agendas, etc.

The builder/district combo seems like a possible trinity, though. Particularly if you have to really go quickly to claim the best land (as in BNW), you this may be a fascinating thing where you're pumping out builders, warriors, and settles and frankly not much else in a territorial grab. Or, maybe you get a Tall-playing neighbor you can trade with and expand more slowly.

Fun thing about the Eagle Warrior, though, is that (I assume) even if you're not ready to do much builder farming early on (as you're setting up wide), as long as you build and upgrade, you should be able to do some mid-game prize-hunting. That's handy in its own right. If you go wide early on, but build few districts, then you go prize-hunting with upgraded Eagle Warriors and suddenly your wide empire gets an influx of builders to catch up on districts. Particularly if your wide empire yields a massive bonus to your units... at the moment it seems a +25% combat increase through a collection of amenities seems quite plausible.

Looking forward to seeing game balance, but the thought-provoking play options continue to pour in.

19. shyPiano

shyPiano Chieftain

Oh wow, I wasn't expecting a new civilization so soon - much less the Aztecs! :)

Here's a GIF of Montezuma, for those who want it:
    Spoiler :

Starting... today? So only pre-orders after today count?
    I pre-ordered a few days back, seriously that I won't get The Aztecs because I bought the game too soon? :crazyeye::cry: Probably just weird phrasing on their part...

20. CivCube

CivCube Resist.

This would be pretty cool if this were the case. I understand the need for Firaxis to keep Civ VI visible on the Steam front page, so long as the base game doesn't feel unnecessarily fragmented.

Possibly 3 civs will become pre-order bonuses, judging by the video pattern. So 15 civs in the base game on release, one less than Civ 3's 16.