B06 - Bella gets jealous, Team B

Beorn-eL-Feared

Idiot riding pedals
Isabella, after seeing that her will was enough for 2 handfuls of contenders (and she knows the meaning of "2 handfuls"), decided that some of the contenders had to be put to the test. At one point, enough is enough, and getting rid of one of them sounded like a brilliant idea. Namely, Whomp and Tubs. But to please the lady, there had to be some sort of challenge to test their virtue ...

Winning conditions TBD for the teams, although it's pretty obvious it'll be some sort of fastest conquest or 20K.

C3C 1.22 Patch
Level: Emp
Variant: Always War :hammer:
Map Type: 'Pelago 70%
Size: Small

Civilization: Spain
Temperature: Med
Climate: Med
Barbarians: Restless
Rivals: Random
AI Aggression: Medium

Victory Condition:All enabled
Culturally linked starts: Off
Respawn: Off
Preserve Random Seed: On
Cultural Conversion: On

It will be a relaxed OCC, ie: if the opportunity presents itself, we may hold 3 cities for a turn and build an army.

Please be a DG+ player to sign in. I will honor my invitations and former partners first, but otherwise the roster is re-opened. Please take a minute to read the rules; if you're unsure about any exploit, ask, or better even, refrain.

Roster, Team B:
Beorner
Smarter
Soul Warrier
Whomper

Stolen from Handy, with some shame but great reverence:
Spoiler AW generalities :
handy900 said:
No looking at techs, cities, resources, etc in deals unless we have a spy planted with that civ.

Always War Boilerplate as we play it.
You may only trade when you first meet a civilization, and must declare war on the same turn after trading is complete. If you see a new AI unit, you must make contact & declare war that turn. Absolutely no GPT trades allowed. If you see a new face on F4, you are obligated to declare war that turn (after trading). Players must declare war if they are exploring and see AI units, but are not required to actually attack the units they come in contact with. No peace treaties, ever. You may check F4 as often as you like to spy on the AI's tech, resources, luxuries & city count.

Discuss any move that seems exploitive before doing it with the team. Although there are not too many exploits available in AW, we’ll follow the forbidden blatant exploits banned by GOTM and RBCiv such as no "Free Wealth". Other normal game exploits such as "Baiting the AI" with an empty city to create a kill zone are an AW tradition and are allowed. Also, you ARE allowed to initially keep a city, move a settler to the same spot as the city, and then abandon and immediately resettle. This is considered an exploit in RBCiv rules, but is okay in our AW games. In addition if you need to build a city one square deeper into enemy territory just to move borders to steal a resource, go for it. We may keep or raze cities, and can keep slaves. You may whip at will, including captured cities or cities where all citizens are unhappy.

SG Stuff
You have 24 hours for an "I got it" and 72 to play. If you need a one day extension, then mention this before the 72 hours are up. Players can work out skips between themselves, just post a message to the thread. If you can't play within 72 total, switch places or ask for a skip. [10 turns each always.]

Lucky candle to light the way.

Link to the starts

And the castle was built, and warriors were called forth. More cattle and spices for the lady's kitchen. She shall be pleased.

First thing up in the morning of 3650 BC, Bella sees an ugly stormcrow.

"Look at me" it said, "look and learn about bronze and pots". Bella also learned that there were worst fates than to be a beatiful woman leading a country. Not being a beautiful woman and leading a country was one of them.

However, she figured that teaching the ugly faced woman to read and to pray wouldn't help her to face Spain in battle, so the trade was in. And spears were built in the castle.

Insulted by Bella's reaction, Catherine sent her men towards the castle - some of them which weren't even her own soldiers. What kind of a leader sends conscripts barbarians to besiege a castle?!

And the spears which made the pride of Russia were the sole survivors to the spears which now make the pride of Spain.

IW is close-by, and Bella now wonders: Can my doomguards hold the fort while the merer workers build me a giant bronze figure to honor my new hair color ? Or should they erect a temple to worship my divine smile ?

At any rate, I suggest not to build a barrack right away. The gpt cost is just not worth it for now. A temple's gpt can be offset by the happy face, and it puts us one step closer to 20K, if thus is our wish. There are no chops in, so we can start building the colossus right now.

My personnal choice would be temple-worker-spear(1 or 2)-colossus, with a chop for the spear.

Roster, Team B:
Beorner - Started the ballgame
Smarter - UP
Soul Warrier - On Deck
Whomper - Gloves off !!

Nice story :)
Are we going to 20k victory? I think it's impossible or very hard without prebuild and trading (AW).
Conquest is the best variant in AW game :rolleyes:

Good stuff Beorn. The Colossus is pretty gigantic in any OCC but AW in combo I am not experienced with. I'd learn towards conquest as well but tiny 1 tile islands on archs could be a problem. Could 20K be faster?

I've done OCC AWM continents and the colossus was worth every shield. I thought I'd leave 20K open because it was possible, but I strongly lean towards conquest as well. That being said, I'd go for an early happy gas chamber, a worker, a spear, and then I see nothing that'd prevent us from going colossus then.

Mathias pointed out a problem: AI respawn on. I've re-generated the starts and will replay my set. Please hold it for 15 minutes Smart ...

Ok, save is re-played, re-posted, everything should go normally now. I've had a slightly different outcome: Russia contacted me on the same turn, but from another location, and had (apperently) gotten WC from a hut. I lost a spear during her attack, rather than gotten one promoted, but one was re-built. All in all it's still on square 1.

Smart has that hot potatoe in his hands, let's hope he wears oven gloves when he plays. Irrigation finishes next turn so you can switch from BG to river plain next turn and we gain a commerce point :)

We have 2 chops ahead of us, so what's everyone's stand on the order: granary (yes/no), worker, spears (how many), colossus ? IMHO colossus is invaluable and we must have it. Wether we build a granary before or after can tilt the cards though, and 2 chops could also be used later/elsewhere. Also, one forest is over grasslands, so that's another point for a granary: perhaps we have a 2nd BG.

Should SW or I grab it so we keep things moving? I can probably play this afternnoon.

Sure, Whomp.

Roster:
Beorner -
Whomper - UP
Smarter - On Deck
Soul Warrier -

OK I decided to go the gran route. Getting big is important.

2950 zzz

2900 Move to chop the grassland. Switch the tiles for commerce.

2850 Start the chop as the temple finishes. Turn off lux and science upped to 100%.

2800 zzz

2750 A French warrior appears. The best Joannie offers is masonry and 10g for Pot and CB. OK done. Declare.

2710 Warrior fortifies.

2670 Chop finishes. No bg but start a mine. Turn down science to 60% for IW next.

2630 IW finishes and start writing in 25 since we won't be adding any new military techs with Colossus coming soon.

2590 Gran finishes and start a worker.

2550 Two Russian archer appear. The good news is they'll be attacking over a river. With 3 spears in I don't think we need to do anything. When the worker finishes we should start the Colossus and move the worker to the BG for a mine.

I wasn't sure if we should go writing vs. WC but since we'll be going Colossus I didn't see a lot of archers or cats being built.

With 2 civs met atm, I think it'd be far from an overkill to go and build an extra spear after this one. 1 warrior 4 spears will obviously hold one assault, very probably 2, but we might get a 3rd or 4th during a colossus build.

On the way to 20k victory most important Wonder is GL, because of 6cpt (12 after 1000 years!). If we will build now the Colossus, we may lose the city to stacks of free AI's units, or fail to build the GL if we will build spears for defence. Much better is build military now, and then start on GLib.
My suggestion on research order:
Writing => WC => Philo => Lit (free tech) => Math
Build order:
Spear=> rax => spears (until we got WC) => Archers (we may raze few AI cities before GL) => GLib.

The power of the Colossus, underestimate it you must not. AI free units on EMP are accessory, no more than a handful of warriors, perhaps an archer or 2. This being a small archipelago, we are very unlikely to meet any more fellows in our royal court. I wholely disagree with doing anything but going straight for the colossus after a spear or 2, and no barracks. A granary is a gamble that will be likely pay off, but it doesn't even start to compare to the colossus. We can start a barrack when we're about to make military units, but we're in no position to increase our unit cost now.

We've finished the gran so growth is unlimited for Colossus. The only question is whether to make another spear after the worker or go straight to the Colossus after the worker. We do have the benefit of 3 spears, the river and eventually size of our city getting to 6 for defense.

Why not see what happens with the archers then switch to a spear if we lose a spear? I'm inclined to go straight to Colossus but I'd understand if Smart wants another spear for protection.

Turn 1
Worker>spear
Move new worker to BG.
MM in Castle. Lux to zero.

IT
2 Archers were died [2-0]

Turn 2
Castle grows, lux to 10% again
Worker mines BG

IT
Spear>Colossus

Turn 5
Castle grows, lux to 20%

Turn 6
Move worker to build road on irrigated plain.

IT
Kill 2 french warriors, got elite spear [4-0]

Turn 8
Castle grows, lux to 30%
First worker builds road on mined BG.

Turn 10
Move 2nd worker to plain for irrigation.

BO6 SW

0- MM the castle to finish the BBG (Big Black Guy) in 9 instead of 11, slowing growth a bit.
IBT - superman kill 2 french warrior with mild scratches. the russkies are moving in. (2-0)
1- workers move to road forests.
IBT - russia wants to give us peace, if we give her a PIECE. i decline, and will give her a piece soon.
2- nada
IBT - superman kills off 2 russian archers, the spears runs for mommy.(4-0)
3- nada.
IBT-
4- nada.
IBT -
5- still nada.
IBT - a french warrior appears from the north.
6- we expanded, so worker stops his pavement bashing and goes out to the corner to by some :smoke:
IBT- more bogies coming in.
7- BBG is in da house.

we throw a wild party, and as a consequence all are sent to the brig. (start a rax)
as a result we all feel much happier. lux down and sci up. we get some change (+1gpt) and shave a turn of writing.
IBT-
8- lose a couple of turns (nothing happened)

rax and growth in 2.
we have a single russian archer waiting to die on the castle gates.
a french warrior is only slightly smarter and is fortified of a hill to the north.
writing is due in 3, or 2 if you want to lose some m,oney (we have a huge bank of 2 gp.

Top Bottom