B_01 - Cowboy Diplomacy

BigNHuge said:
lol, i just thought of something, what if in an extreme case we have 0 horses in our land?

Then we'll have to do one of those "no unit build" victories :lol: .

Seriously though if we don't, we can trade. We've already made a tough decision to keep with the variant so if push comes to shove, we'll go down with the ship.

lmao@ all of this, we'll find horses ... humm *cough* *ahem* ... oh well, we'll have to pull out a huuuuuuuuge stunt, but we can do this. I guess. God have mercy on our horses.

There are tricks we can use to get horses with settlers and workers. Don't forget the possibility of a trade either.

We've have had a lot of confusion off the bat. Nobody's fault in particular but... let's try to get this back on the road. As I understand it, this is the roster:

Beorn eL Feared
MeteorPunch <--- Just played
General Mayhem <--- UP
Abegweit <--- On deck
BigNHuge

IMO, we definitely need to use workers as scouts. You can kinda do a combination of road-building and exploring. In a way they're even better than warriors, since the AI won't give you the boot if you enter their lands.

edit: partially cross-posted with MeteorPunch.

Got it, will play sometime today/tonight.

What type of city spacing are we trying for?

I don't see any reason to make it tight. If we get horses, we can ride a long way. If we don't :eek:

Just look for good locations. CxxC or CxxxC seems about right.

I'm really really not a fan of OCP before later in the MA, so CxxC is what I'd go for.

Turn log:

Turn 0 (2550 B.C.)

Turn the game music off

Turn 1 (2510 B.C.)

ZZZZZZZ

Turn 2 (2470 B.C.)

Up lux to 10% since Far-West grew to size 3

Turn 3 (2430 B.C.)

Worker scouting along the river to the north finds the coast.

Turn 4 (2390 B.C.)

Far-West builds settler, start on worker. Decide to send him along the river to the southeast. Drop Lux back to 0.

Turn 5 (2350 B.C.)

Meet russia, they are up BW, Alpha, and CB to our Wheel, and won't trade anything.

Turn 6 (2310 B.C.)

ZZZZZZZ

Turn 7 (2270 B.C.)

Far-West builds worker, start on walls. Found sugarville on hill by river to the
southeast of Far-West

Turn 8 (2230 B.C.)

ZZZZZZZ

Turn 9 (2190 B.C.)

Golden Lands completes barracks, start on settler.

Turn 10 (2150 B.C.)

Meet Arabia, they are up BW, Alpha, CB, and HBR. Our 16 gold won't buy anything.

Notes to next player:

Russian warrior will beat us to goodie hut that I found :( We are in a SERIOUS tech hole, hopefully HBR which will be done next turn will get us something from the russians, arab's already have it. I have 1 worker following the river/hill chain to the southeast, there's some decent city locations in that direction because of the river/hills.

The save : http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads9/cowboy_2150_BC.SAV

Sugarville:

The world at the end of my turnset:

Pre-flight:

I find Sugarville is building barracks while FW is making walls. Neither of these things will be useful to us immediately. We already have two barracks, and that's two too many, given that we are not allowed to build any units. I would prefer to be building wealth than walls.

This points out one of the problems with the variant: a difficulty in finding things to build. This problem has been compounded by the food-poor start. In passing, I thought we had a grass game from the beginning -- it turns out to be plains :(

In the meantime, FW is overdeveloped while both of the other cities have hardly been improved at all. The latter is not critical yet as the fourth shield should be corrupted in both cities. I switch SV to a granary and FW to a worker. These things will at least, be useful, to us.

Far West, it appears, will have to be a four-time worker pump for a while (two turns on the game and two on a mined BG). GL should go settler-granary and SV should be the reverse. In the meantime, our explorer workers can try and find us horses. Given the serious lack of food at our start, two explorers will have to be enough for the moment.

ibt:
As predicted, the Arabs beat us to the GH
learn horseback riding, enter Big Picture, and trade to Cathy for
Alpha + BW + 22g

Both civs know iron working
Far West builds worker, starts worker.

1. 2110
rename first worker to Jake and start irrigation. Southeast explorer becomes LoneRanger and moves south. South west worker is Strider and moves south. New worker gets dubbed Slim and moves three squares to the northwest. Start writing @100%, due in 20 turns.

2. 2070
LoneRanger south, Slim mine, Strider south

3. 2030
Strider south
LR east, meet Indians.
MM FW to mined BG

Trade Masonry & TW & 5g for IW & CB; HB then goes for Mysticism and my gold back. Science guy says we're advanced! OTOH LoneRanger has also found a Kassite Conscript :cry: BTW, we have iron :rolleyes:

ibt
LoneRanger is viciously murdered by the savages

4. 1990
Jake moves south
Strider moved east

ibt
FW builds SonOfLoneRanger, starts worker,

5. 1950
SoLR move nw-nw-n, spot a cow;
Jake starts a forest chop
Strider south

I think the Injuns are at war. They only have one city and have had a worker for sale for a while. Unfortunately, I am too poor to buy it.

5. 1910
Slim west;
SoLR road
Strider south.

6. 1870
Strider east

7. 1830
Slim mine
Jake r;
Strider south
switch GL to a settler

ibt
FW builds Hoss, starts settler; MM to game
GL builds settler, starts granary

8. 1790
Hoss moves south-south
Strider south, spot Russian borders
settler east

9. 1750
Jake moves southwest-south
Hoss builds road
SoLR north
settler northeast-north
Strider east

Indians know writing and will accept a trade. I decide that it's better to come closer to finishing the tech or hoping someone else will find it, bringing down the price.

10. 1725
Strider east
Jake mine
SoL road
settler northeast

Post-game

The Indians are still willing to trade at a price of 9gpt. Too much. Self-search is only about 74g. Warning: we are about to go bankrupt. I really wish we hadn't built those two barracks. The settler should found a city on the spot.

The save

Wow! This is turning out to be quite a tough variant.

No horses. No MPs. No Luxes. Little food.

This is compounded by some early decisions which have turned out to be especially bad because of the neighbourhood. While I don't agree with the decisions to research HBR and build the barracks, they would have been much more reasonable had we had horses nearby. As it is, I am almost tempted to suggest selling the barracks for cash.

Our research priority has to be republic. Our lack of MPs and luxes make that essential. We won't be saddled with many unit costs either :p :lol: :D I doubt that we can still get the slingshot but we should certainly be able to get Philosophy first and take Code of Laws as our free tech.

Be careful when starting new cities. Since we are not allowed to follow the normal city start (warrior-worker), consider sending a worker out with the settler... or even before it. The terrain has to get improved and, if we can't use a local worker for it, he has to come from somewhere else.

Abegweit, try recopying the link to the save - it's not formatted right. Or, whoever is next can get it from uploads folder.

I agree, this is much tougher than I thought too!

:wavey: Skip me up to Tues 26th, then I'll be back and report for duties :salute:

save link problems

OK, BTW, the game i had we had already 5 cities, at 1790, with 1 civ met, with 0 horses, whats going on here?

k will have either tomorrow or saturday depending on which game i play first, this or BNH01

Sure will be lurking, though I should work more. Oh well, I'll work when I can focus on anything, that is, after I have slept a full night this week at last. I'll be back before you can blink anyways.

will have tomorrow due to real life, if thats a problem skip.

Turn 1(1700BC)- Found Dodge City. It starts a Granary.

Turn 2(1675BC)- Nothing

Turn 3(1650BC)- Nothing

Turn 4(1625BC)- Nothing, There are a lot of foreign units near our border. (3 countries, all warriors.)

Turn 5(1600BC)- They all go out of site.

Turn 6(1575BC)- Writing comes in. Start philo, comes in 14. Sell writing to Arabia for 70g, I do this because now we can go 100% philo and get it in 11. Also, theyll get it eventually as Russia and India now both have it. Russia's up Math. Ottomans down Alpha and HBR.

Turn 7(1550BC)- Nothing

Turn 8(1525BC)- Philo in 7.

Turn 9(1500BC)- Nothing.

Turn 10(1475BC)- Nothing.

Well, were getting a little bigger, and a little more weak. We just gotta get some horses. I STRONGLY SUGGEST searching that area of fog south of sugarville before anything. If there were horses east, they would have been absorbed by the English. That middle spot is just crazy enough to be there. If there not there, ill wallbash 20 times in one post. Ill bet you anything that there are horses about 2-5 tiles south of sugarville. Its just how this game goes. If its not there say gg already. But if it is there. Cowboy up plz! P.S.- Ive been playing this game for years, I know for a fact itll be there, just because of the lack of horses north and everywhere else, we MUST GO THERE NOW.

Da Save

Top Bottom