[NFP] Babylon First Look

Does that mean we can skip technologies or do you still need the to have the previous ones researched ?

Also, I didn't really understand the envoy thing, is it for every specialty district except the first one of its kind ?

I believe you get a free envoy when you build a Non-speciality district for the first time. Like A Dam, aqueduct, etc.

Does that mean we can skip technologies or do you still need the to have the previous ones researched ?

If this is true, then they could potentially be early/mid game insane production - one of the easiest eurekas is apprenticeship, which is just make 3 mines, and it gets you the industrial zone and +1 production on mines. If they can match the gauls on that ooooh boi thats impressive.

They didn't really talk about the UU at all, did they? The only reference I caught was on the leader screen.

Nope, I just missed it the first three times :crazyeye:

Also, I didn't really understand the envoy thing, is it for every specialty district except the first one of its kind ?
So when you construct the first copy of any specialty district, you'll get the first building, except for the Gov Plaza. And you'll get an envoy whenever you construct the first copy of any district, not just specialty district. That is how I read it.

This is just unfair. Who cares about decreased Science per turn, do you know how easy it is to get Eurekas?
It's very powerful in the early game, but loses a lot of its steam in the late game as Eurekas start to require Great Scientists to boost. Given how expensive late game techs are from a science perspective, the reduced science per turn will actually really hurt at that point, and allow other civs to catch up some ground.

Plus, a good number of Eurekas throughout require some out-of-the-norm builds or activities, so you may not be able to play completely optimally in other areas of the game to take full advantage of the 100% Eurekas.

They didn't really talk about the UU at all, did they? The only reference I caught was on the leader screen.

She talked about it and there was a scene in which it won a battle.

I guess we don't know the production cost, yet, but the UU looks like a good unit for scouting since it has 3 movement and vision. No need to build Scouts that become useless later.

She talked about it and there was a scene in which it won a battle.

I guess we don't know the production cost, yet, but the UU looks like a good unit for scouting since it has 3 movement and vision. No need to build Scouts that become useless later.
Thank you, I watched it three times and must have glazed over it. Fourth time worked after reading your comment.

Interesting... an incredible early game civ for sure. If that doesn’t make you a monster snowball, I wonder if other civs will catch up to you later on as science per turn gets more important?

The Great Library just seems crazy here.

Yeah, as predicted. It's certainly a unique setup for sure. No more do you half-research a tech waiting for the eureka, you now have to completely avoid a tech you're likely to get the eureka for.

My guess is that they're going to be a very bad science victory civ, since those late techs are expensive and hard to gain, a lot of them needing spies to steal. Not quite sure what VC actually they'll be best for - probably snowballing off a crossbow rush, trying to end the game by industrial or modern times. Ideally for them they need Bologna nearby, and then load up on great people to bulb through the ages.

Loving the look of this civ. (Of course, Babylon has always been a favorite.)

Looks like they could be really powerful. Excited to try them out next week!

“Thou, O king, art a king of kings: for the God of heaven hath given thee a kingdom, power, and strength, and glory. And wheresoever the children of men dwell, the beasts of the field and the fowls of the heaven hath he given into thine hand, and hath made thee ruler over them all. Thou art this head of gold.” - Daniel 2: 37-38

Sounds fun! Even with 50% loss of science, if you have a few campuses, the techs you can't eureka should get researched fast enough for this to be a good civ for a science win, I think. Not to speak of conquest! Imagine getting some (very few due to production cost so early) powerful units an era or two early and just waltz through the AI. :D

Another note, I think Babylon is going to be insanely fun with Tech Shuffle mode on...
Are they even affected by it? They seem able to skip technologies if the eureka auto-grant.

You can unlock techs fast, but Pottery, Animal Husbandry and Mining will be a pain to research. Wheel, Iron working, Masonry and Horseback Riding depends on two of these early techs, so it's better to leave Pottery to research later. Early exploration is crucial, hunting barbarians is crucial, getting certain resources is crucial.

By the way, I don’t think Babylon wants to skip campus districts, just because their yield is reduced.
Great scientist points are still very valuable to get those super potent great researchers.

It might even be a good idea to build a campus early, to get Mining and Animal Husbandry faster.

So when you construct the first copy of any specialty district, you'll get the first building, except for the Gov Plaza. And you'll get an envoy whenever you construct the first copy of any district, not just specialty district. That is how I read it.
I interpreted it as that you only get an envoy for building a type of non-specialty district for the first time, but you get no envoy from building specialty districts for the first time.

Basically you get a reward for building ANY district type for the first time, and the reward changes based on whether it's a specialty (free 1st tier building) or a non-specialty (free envoy, since non-specialty districts like aqueducts tend to not have 1st tier buildings)

Top Bottom