1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[NFP] Babylon First Look

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by bite, Nov 12, 2020.

1. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

I think one of the big advantages of Babylon is you do not need campi beyond their eureka requirements so you could say Babylon can concentrate on theaters and a CV while still racing ahead with science.
    I mean, I just need to kill a unit with a slinger then get 3 archers and I am at xbows and pretty defensive.

bbbt, Zaarin, 8housesofelixir and 5 others like this.
  2. Oberinspektor Derrick

Oberinspektor Derrick Warlord

Exactly, they are kind of a "reverse Gaul" in this regard.
    Focusing on mass campuses as Gaul seems like the less than ideal way to go, simply because the ROI is so low for each raw science point gained.
    Spamming TS, CH and IZ seem like far better options to smooth out any bottlenecks.

slavaskii and Knightfall like this.
  3. almughavar

almughavar Political commissar

I can even just simply levy units from city state I'm suzerain of to complete the eureka which requiring you to possess a certain amount of a certain type of troop.

4. Victoria

agreed, you have to accept that Gaul will never get lots of great adjacencies although using hills to expand borders to good adjacencies rather than spamming campi is how I play them

Exactly, who wants to get 2 galleys early and as Babylon you can get settlers on the waves early with this approach

slavaskii and Knightfall like this.
  5. Deadly Dog

Deadly Dog Warlord

Especially if you are building Harbors for trade routes. If you can't build galleys anymore because you unlocked Cartography early you will have to levy a pair of Galleys from a CS, to avoid hard research shipbuilding.

Works as Gaul in regular mode too. research Horseback Riding and build 3 mines and you can start researching Stirrups. I'm not the only one that knew this am I?

Edit: mixing up civ abilities. As gaul you need to get free Apprenticeship by building the UD and also have horseback riding. You don't need to research pottery, writing, and currency is the point.

Knightfall and Victoria like this.
  6. Hakan-i Cihan

Hakan-i Cihan Emperor

I am aware of that option. I mean playing as Babylon need additional consideration for some strategies, because some untimed/unplanned eurekas can work against you. With close barbarian camps or (an) aggressive close neighbour(s) rushing towards you does not give the player much choice. If you have to use your slinger(s) to defend, it is likely your getting the eureka for archery.

Knightfall likes this.
  7. Sostratus

Sostratus Deity

The good news is that scaling district cost goes up with the actual number of techs you’ve researched, rather than how deep into the tree you are.

The bad news is that chops follow the same scaling, so you’re a bit left out to dry should you actually need to hard build an advanced unit or something.

Knightfall and Hakan-i Cihan like this.
  8. Victoria

This is the yin and yang of civ VI. Tech/civic progression has positive and negative affects.
    One could argue that Babylon will push civics harder because of the lack of need for campus but equally you can get an awful lot of districts placed cheaply if you hold back on culture.... as opposed to district discounts which you get from hard building. I guess to a degree, while you are holding back on placing districts due to district discounts, when you do place them, they are cheaper... until it’s time to chop anyway.

9. Vincent_lacruz

Vincent_lacruz Chieftain

I think Babylon WILL need campus, since you can have difficulty getting some of the eureka. For example, if you end up with no iron, or iron only under cities/districts, it will be hard enough getting the technology with campus, so imagine what would happen without... Since their -50% science malus will apply to all sources of science, every bit of it will count.

In the same way the great scientist are primoridial, and those campuses will be of great use. The great library will also be a must have.

10. lotrmith

lotrmith King

Coastal city gives sailing. 2nd settler also coastal. Builder on two ocean tiles gives celestial. 2 galleys gives shipbuilding (you can skip this). 2 harbors gives Cartography.

Kjimmet, Knightfall, MrRadar and 2 others like this.
  11. Onii-chan

Onii-chan King

So is the release in ~43 minutes or what? Can't find any official timer

12. Laurana Kanan

Laurana Kanan Don’t underestimate who I am. Moderator

Yes, 12pm EST

13. Onii-chan

Onii-chan King

Aight cool

14. sonicmyst

sonicmyst Emperor

Achievements are up in Steam.

15. PhilBowles

PhilBowles Deity

Just started my first game and found Crater Lake on turn 1.

Religion here I come...

EDIT: Aargh, when saving I noticed I hadn't changed the default difficulty so can't keep the session. Why, after all this time, have they not implemented a sensible way to save default settings?

bbbt, Kjimmet, Knightfall and 2 others like this.
  16. Oberinspektor Derrick

Try to extract the seed number, and you can change the difficulty beforehand the next time you set it up.
    As long as you still have a save (or autosave) from that game, you can replay it on a different difficulty.

17. PhilBowles

PhilBowles Deity

Thanks - that's good advice. Do you know how to extract the seed number? I made sure not to overwrite the save.

Played through the Ancient Era on a different start at lunchtime - it really is a very interestingly different way to play, and will vary heavily based on the map. Started with some aggressive city-state neighbours that made getting Bronze Working early hard since they kept killing all the barbarians! Also facing fairly unsubtle opening aggression from Persia, and in an area with no quarriable resources Masonry will be difficult to get.

Also, getting Mining, Pottery and Animal Husbandry is a slog since they have no eurekas.

18. Oberinspektor Derrick

Yeah, you can locate your saved games-folder for civ 6, and move the save from "single player" (or whatever its named) to "multiplayer", then load the game up in multiplayer mode and check the seed number.
    Either play it in multiplayer mode right away (just make it a private game), or take the seed number and type it in manually in your single player game.
    Do note that you mostly have to have the same settings as your last game though, so no changing of map type, number of civs or natural wonders etc. (I think you can change the modes like SS, tech shuffle etc. though).

19. DWilson

DWilson Where am I? What turn is it?

Are there enough multi-player ban worthy civs yet that none need to be banned?

20. Victoria

Any -50% science you have is more than compensated for by pillaging a campus with so many techs already.
    playing the game there is a natural jump with 2 xbows to get pike and shot very early..... it is just so powerful.
    The only thing you need to do it to get Magnus so you can chop in enough gold to upgrade a spearman.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2020