[NFP] Babylon First Look

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by bite, Nov 12, 2020.

1. tedhebert

tedhebert Emperor

totally get what your saying. They're just too squishy VS normal melee. But still, almost same price as a scout, and then upgrades to swordsman, so they won't be only useful in the first 100 turns. I like them

2. Zaarin

Zaarin Diplomatic Attaché to Londo Mollari

Enuma Anu Enlil was an astrological text (with the caveat that there is no meaningful difference between what we call astronomy and astrology in this context) so it feels somewhat appropriate that it's about "predicting the future" (by filling in Eurekas). (The science malus is less thematic and clearly just there for balance--observational astronomy is still firmly rooted in Babylonian astronomy even down to our own times.)

3. Datgingah

Datgingah Warlord

Right, I agree it fits the idea of being future predicting, I just thought it was also vaguely religious in how the Kings would be favored by the gods - which is why I though an extra malus for that might fit in the flavor, while also bringing some balance.

4. Vincent_lacruz

Vincent_lacruz Chieftain

If you want to nerf them a bit, make a malus for building district/unit related to the number of prerequise tech you lack. For example -10% production per missing prerequise. That way you can still use the leapfrog tech, but can't exploit a lucky eureka that grant you a far advance tech.

5. pjotroos

pjotroos Chieftain

Sorry if this was mentioned already - but you can jump ahead in the tech tree using their ability. The only requirement appears to be unlocking all direct pre-requisites. Found that out with Rifling last night:
    https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd....688/70C0181A2EA4267F0DAB9B3C75CDFD5769F07628/
    Once I discovered it via eureka, I had an option to research both Steel and Refining, even though I was yet to complete Ballistics and Military Science.

Knightfall and Banazir864 like this.
  6. borad

borad Warlord

Ha, my first game my settler is two tiles from Pamukkale (which is bad for Holy Sites, oh well).

EDIT: oh wait, the minor bonus is IN ADDITION to the natural wonder’s bonus. Plus 6!

Last edited: Nov 20, 2020
  7. Weraptor

Weraptor King

The increased Sight stat as well being spammable (technically cheaper than the Scout with its policy card) makes them great at finding Goody Huts, Natural Wonders and other places of interest, while holding their own ground versus Barbarians. I like thier UU a lot.

8. BackseatTyrant

BackseatTyrant Queer Anarchotranshumanist

So, uhh... the insta-eurekas are utterly broken, and I absolutely love it, unironically. It's basically the video game equivalent of this:

9. Fluphen Azine

Fluphen Azine What is Fluphen Azine?

Turn 276
    Very Late Science Victory with Babylon but I had 37 cities that were Ecstatic.
    Probably nothing new but unusual for me since I never concentrate on Happiness.
    Anyways, I found it unusual or surprising as I am usually at -1 Happiness in every city.
    Another 12 hours wasted with my life playing this stupid game :)

37 Ecstatic.jpg

10. Oberinspektor Derrick

Oberinspektor Derrick Warlord

I might not be created yet if you haven't done any saving in multiplayer games.
    It should create one if you set up a random multiplayer game and save it, and then you can just use that folder (instead of guessing what it's supposed to be called for the game to properly recognize it).

Knightfall likes this.
  11. MrRadar

MrRadar Emperor

To find out the seed, you only need to hit "Esc" while in-game and mouse over the version number at the bottom of the dialog window. The seed numbers will be shown in the tooltip.

Meluhhan, Pfeffersack and Knightfall like this.
  12. kryat

kryat King

Playing a peaceful game with Babylon and I am really feeling their science (turns/tech) hit a snag when things start costing oil and there’s no oil around. No tanks, no infantry, no planes, no oil wells. Ouch. Playing with shuffled techs probably isn’t helping either. After briefly leading Seondeok, she eclipsed me in total tech count by brute forcing through the tech tree.

I am really liking the “mission” feeling to the eurekas though.

13. Navelgazer

Navelgazer King

My initial thoughts on Babylon is that they are indeed very distinct, and crazy fun to play, but as Zaarin warned, do not feel even a little bit flavorful.

8housesofelixir and Zaarin like this.
  14. Fluphen Azine

lol... this happened to me in my second run with Babylon.
    I couldn't figure out why my Horses wouldn't upgrade to Calvary???
    Oh right... I don't have Coursers yet... duh!!

I was able to buy them or build them though but I opted to buy the cheaper Pike and Shot instead.
    Probably should of built Calvary earlier.
    Those Pikes with a GG and Himko were kind of ridiculous anyways.

15. OmegaDestroyer

OmegaDestroyer King

I find playing with random techs and civics to be a challenge with Babylon. Since I cannot remember all the eurekas for the various techs, I mostly just try to do a little of everything in hopes I trigger one.

I have noticed I run into a lot of situations where I just cannot meet eureka requirements, so I'm very, very slowly teching into them.

Overall, I find it to be pretty balanced. Yeah, you might have early riflemen but good luck upgrading anything soon. It gets really pricey.

16. PhilBowles

PhilBowles Deity

Thanks - this is much more straightforward. After my current game I'll go back to that one - though does having the same seed guarantee the same starting position?

I had the same (or, rather, the point I've reached is one where I haven't yet unlocked oil - I neglected building shipyards so don't yet have Ironclads). Worse, I had almost no niter - which I hadn't previously recognised as being very important - for a couple of key eurekas (also no iron early enough to be of any relevance for getting Iron Working). I was able to grab one from the borders of Granada, but it increases very slowly - and there are eurekas that require two bombards (40 niter) and three musketmen (60 niter). The Siege Tactics unlocked by the bombards are themselves needed to create forts for Ballistics. I ended up getting Replaceable Parts through stealing instead.

They don't feel like Babylon at all, to be sure, but I don't think they're so egregiously bad a fit for this ability that I have any objection to using them this way. It's nothing like the dissonance of calling the Polynesian civ which plays like the maritime Civ V version the Maori.

17. UWHabs

UWHabs Deity

I played a little bit of saves, and still haven't fully figured out the optimal path for Babylon - do you aim for production or for gold? There's a strong part of me that wants a huge enough production focus that I literally build the Venetian Arsenal in order to get my free galley to unlock that eureka because it seems so insane, but then again, the whole archery->crossbow line feels like it's much more suited to gold upgrades. And because there's a decent eureka setups for having aqueduct/encampment/IZ and how they work with unlocking niter and coal and those later units, it definitely feels like trying to set your cities up for that route will lead to more chances.

18. PhilBowles

PhilBowles Deity

I went with production, which is helped by the early water mill and so is probably intended - you want to get the early districts up to maximise the benefit from the free building, if nothing else. I got strangled somewhat by having too few city spots available in areas with good production but poor food output. I've found culture a limiting factor, though, which probably indicates that I haven't invested enough in that. Also, you're going to be getting access to early tier 2 buildings and the like that are usually much easier to accelerate with good production than good gold. Also, although no Wonders are linked to eurekas I suspect Babylon benefits from Wonders quite a lot and - because civic progression is a limitation - I think you want to try and hit as many inspirations as you can.

For the galleys I just built one and bought the other - you don't need a gold rush to have 260 gold available. I got to it late, but not so late that I had the Venetian Arsenal available - which I'm pretty sure costs more than two galleys anyway.

19. Fluphen Azine

I really think it matters on how much you abuse the game.
    My last game I was messing around with selling Diplo.
    I bought 200 Diplo Favor for about 70-80 Gold.
    I sold it 10 turns or so later for 400 Gold + 20 GPT.

Are you playing Secret Societies?
    Because I always have way more FPT when I play that.

Now with the Heroes Mode it gets even more crazy depending on which Hero you use.
    So its tough to give anyone a general or optimal strategy anymore.
    Not to mention it depends on the settings you are playing as well.
    Let's not forget if you are playing specific rules like no trade or no chop.

The whole thing is endless but once you get the hang of the game it appears winning before turn 300 should be doable no matter what restrictions you have placed on yourself.

20. Duke William of Normandy

Duke William of Normandy King of England & Unofficial Welcoming Committee

You have to build an Industrial Era Wonder to get the Eureka for Flight, and to get Buttress you have to build a Classical Era Wonder.

Fluphen Azine likes this.