1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[NFP] Babylon First Look

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by bite, Nov 12, 2020.

1. Equilin

Equilin Prince

imagine getting full eurekas for future era techs

2. qhash

qhash Chieftain

glad to know I am not the only one who thinks they did not test Babylon properly before releasing the update ;) I am an immortal player who rarely wins on diety, only when the land and civ are right for the given VC. Now I won three times in a row in three different ways.

3. TreVor_ish

TreVor_ish Warlord

Has anyone thought of a possibility - OP Civ is easier to play - Civ easier to play is easier to sell...nerfs can be done later ;p

4. Abaxial

Abaxial King

One problem is that some eurekas become unachievable, for instance, when certain units become obsolete. Also, I always play with the Warfare Expanded mod, in which certain units don't appear in their standard form.

5. almughavar

almughavar Political commissar

It’s called “power creep”.

6. Duke William of Normandy

Duke William of Normandy King of England & Unofficial Welcoming Committee

Byzantium, Gran Colombia, and Ethiopia are all proof of this.

almughavar likes this.
  7. Siddharth Venkatesh

Siddharth Venkatesh Warlord

And Babylon, they are probably the most OP civ in the game.

8. Tech Osen

Tech Osen Emperor

I haven't read all 30 pages so I don't know if it's already been discussed but... I just can't get myself to play Babylon. I never had this issue with any of the other civs. Sure, some I liked better than others but I played them all. This whole concept of being both good and bad at science just irks me. It feels too gimmicky, too gamey. There is zero connection between that and what Babylon (or any other civilization) was. That can of course be said of a lot of things in the game but this one just rubs me the wrong way.

That was my 2 cents, carry on.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2020
    Leucarum, 8housesofelixir and Zaarin like this.
  9. TreVor_ish

TreVor_ish Warlord

Yup, that's why I did a little tweaking after winning Diplo and Cultural waaaay to early.

10. Virdrago

Virdrago Wandering

Playing with Babylon in the game weirdly seems like FXS loosely took the story of Atlantis and remade it into a Civ. Maybe it's all the fantasy game modes that have shown up in NFP, but that's what this civ reminds me of.

11. Pfeffersack

Pfeffersack Deity

I have no doubt that Babylon is a powerful tool in that hands of a good player, but just playing the Eureka game and optimizing everything around isn't enough - I managed to get so carried away with it and by the offered possibilities like grabbing wonders that I forgot to watch my back. It is nice to suddenly have the option to build Rangers way before their usual appearence, but it doesn't help you if you lack Gold or Production to make use of it and Matthias Corvinus surprises you with some levied Musketmen (another caveat of Babylon: Barbs and CSs show up with better units) . Especially production as the constant bottleneck in Civ6 is something to watch out for Babylon: You basically already convert production into science by heureka-ing everything left and right, so you have to be extra careful with what you do with the sparse hammers you have left. Building some extra military units probably doesn't hurt...

12. King William I

King William I Prince

Thus the reason Babylon made it past playtesting. There are a lot of traps to fall in that can ruin your game.

It's like a maginot line of game mechanics

13. Tech Osen

Tech Osen Emperor

Quoting myself here. Tried them out. Still don't like the theme but gameplay wise they are actually quite fun. Can't remember the last time building two forts felt worthwhile.