[NFP] Babylon First Look

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by bite, Nov 12, 2020.

1. Uberfrog

Uberfrog Deity

40%
    50% if you are China
    100% if you are Babylon

raen, Starina and 8housesofelixir like this.
  2. thecrazyscot

thecrazyscot Spiffy

3. 679x

679x Warlord

It doesn't apply to city centres. See 1:08 in the video: a holy site begins construction in the capital Babylon, and a monument is still available to build on the production screen. I'm glad it doesn't, because it would totally invalidate & outclass Trajan's ability.

nzcamel and hhhhhh like this.
  4. The Highwayman

The Highwayman Prince

It's the first time you build a specialty district. So only one workshop. Still good though, as building the obnoxious arena is no longer slowing the Colosseum construction.

Bosque, WillowBrook, Meluhhan and 6 others like this.
  5. UWHabs

UWHabs Deity

Free building bonus I think is going to be most useful to slingshot you to the requirements for wonders. So you only need an entertainment zone which grants the free arena, so you can immediate start work on the Colosseum. Or make sure that first campus is in a spot to get the Great Library next to it.

Another curious one will be late in the game, running the policy card that "spies who steal a tech get a second boost". Especially since they're going to be able to jump around the tree, you can probably hold back on some techs and then slingshot through the information era with spies if you are at all not running away with it.

Bosque, borad, Meluhhan and 9 others like this.
  6. The Highwayman

The Highwayman Prince

So many possibilities. Are the Pyramids consistently back in play for Babylon?

7. leandrombraz

leandrombraz Emperor

• Produce 3 Slingers;
    • Kill a barbarian;
    • Upgrade your slingers to archers to unlock Machinery;
    • upgrade your archers to Crossbowman (you gonna need to get some gold, but it's doable);
    • Give the AI their own medicine, way earlier than they can.

Edit: That will also give you Metal Casting and allow you to build Pike and Shot in the Ancient era. Build an ancient wall, then an aqueduct and you can get Niter, then build Bombards.

Edit 2: Buy an Armory and you can get Musketman.

If you just focus on gold and production, you can keep getting units waaay earlier than you should.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2020
    Bosque, TheSpaceCowboy, raen and 4 others like this.
  8. Kwami

Kwami Deity

Researching military units from later eras is neat, but you still need to find the production to build them. Also, many of the space race techs don't have eureka bonuses and those techs will be slow for Babylon. Same for the first few techs, actually. And a lot of science will be wasted on partial researches.

Babylon probably isn't too overpowered.

9. conorbebe

conorbebe King

Wait, so your science production is cut in half after getting 1 Eureka?? Am I understanding that right? Because that sounds terrible.

10. 679x

679x Warlord

Given the slow teching of Mining with halved science and no available eureka for Pyramids tech without Mining, I don't know if it'd be consistent on higher difficulties.

11. Palo

Palo Chieftain

There should be a Steam Achievement for stealing Pottery and getting an Information age technology boost as a bonus.

12. Equilin

Equilin King

Babylon having reversed mind on Great Scientists: target ones that give Eurekas over ones that gives raw science boosts

Caprikel, raen, Vargas1 and 7 others like this.
  13. 679x

679x Warlord

The tooltip is very poorly worded - you suffer a 50% reduction to science output for the entire game, regardless of whether you get eurekas or not.

14. thecrazyscot

thecrazyscot Spiffy

@Andrew Johnson [FXS] - Does the City Center count as a generic or specialty district in regards to the unique ability? i.e. does founding your first city grant a free monument, free envoy, or neither?

WillowBrook, Equilin and conorbebe like this.
  15. conorbebe

conorbebe King

Ohhh, okay, that makes much more sense! Thank you!

679x likes this.
  16. Duomo1334

Duomo1334 Chieftain

Babylonians Lives Matter

borad likes this.
  17. iammaxhailme

iammaxhailme Emperor

I wonder if their water mill still enhances maize, wheat, and rice.

I'll be glad to get that Shrine for free! Less hassle to attain a religion

conorbebe likes this.
  18. bbbt

bbbt Deity

I'm thinking Babylon will want to get a scout up and running, try and get those goody hut bonus techs.

Possibly a little annoying to avoid killing any barbs with your slingers until you've produced 3-4 already, avoid the upgrades.

I agree being able to skip tech prereqs via the unlock is way too strong. Maybe it unlocks the tech but doesn't actually let you use it until the prereqs are done? That's not how the Goths work with apprenticeship though.

Starina likes this.
  19. thecrazyscot

thecrazyscot Spiffy

It does not:
    upload_2020-11-12_11-42-46.png

Instead, all tiles next to a freshwater source (river, lake, oasis) get +1 food.

20. The Highwayman

The Highwayman Prince

While that's true, Mining taking 20 turns instead of 10 is still usually faster than Mining + Masonry. Technically 50 science requirement (25x2) instead of 25 +48 (80 for Masonry science minus the assumed eureka needed for the boost in both scenarios).

679x likes this.