[NFP] Babylon Pack (November 2020) - Patch Notes Discussion

Scotland is going to be ecstatic to recruit Ibn Khaldun, which they probably will due to hoarding all the great scientists. 40% increase to a 10% production and science boost is going to push Scotland to almost a 15% boost. That’s nuts. (Assuming multiplicative). Even if it’s additive, This synergies really well with Scotland’s default play.

edit: fixed numbers. Scotland’s boost is 5%,10%; not 10%,20%. Still good though

Last edited:
That Firaxis shade implying Japan was a city state compared to Matthew Perry.
Did not mean to imply that! But the idea was, I think, to have a kind of "forced opening", a simulation of gunboat diplomacy. And the mechanic wouldn't quite work on another civ, so city-states had to be the target... If we've got Aztec nukes, I think we can have Perry picking on Zanzibar, rather than Edo...

Did not mean to imply that! But the idea was, I think, to have a kind of "forced opening", a simulation of gunboat diplomacy. And the mechanic wouldn't quite work on another civ, so city-states had to be the target... If we've got Aztec nukes, I think we can have Perry picking on Zanzibar, rather than Edo...
Haha, I was jesting, all is well!

Scotland is going to be ecstatic to recruit Ibn Khaldun, which they probably will due to hoarding all the great scientists. 40% increase to a 20% production and science boost is going to push Scotland to almost a 30% boost. That’s nuts. (Assuming multiplicative). Even if it’s additive, This synergies really well with Scotland’s default play.

It’s great synergy with Scotland, but unfortunately that amenity change awhile back really hurt them. +5 amenities to get to ecstatic basically made that part of their kit useless. Hopefully some love gets thrown their way, they were fun!

Maybe someday in the future, you people can implement a Yamato or Sakai City-State as Perry's "Japan".

Selected Sumeria as one of my opponents and noticed their ability got tweaked to get bonuses for heroes.
Yes - as per the 2nd post in this thread!!

Gilgamesh will have his Unique Ability, Legacy of Enkidu, tweaked:
  • With Heroes and Legends disabled: When at war with a common foe, they and their allies share pillage rewards and share combat experience gains if within 5 tiles. Their Alliances gain Alliance Points for being at war with a common foe.
  • With Heroes and Legends enabled: 25% Production increase when claiming Heroes, and Heroes have 20% longer Lifespans.

Fixed an issue where making a new alliance would remove all foreign spies, as opposed to just the spies from the new ally. A new notification for this event has been added.

That's the only thing I was waiting for in this patch :)

I'm impressed with the new Great People, some really interesting abilities there. And the new improvements sound powerful too.

Trung Trac was the queen of the Trung Sisters, this probably means she is being removed from the Vietnam leader choice.

This is a surprise. I had assumed Trung Trac was a shoo-in. It'll be interesting to see who the Vietnamese leader is!

This is a nice mechanic. I'd like to see it applied to some of the existing great people who grant specific Eurekas.

Agreed. It's a shame to skip a Great Scientist because their ability does nothing.

I'm impressed with the new Great People, some really interesting abilities there. And the new improvements sound powerful too.

This is a surprise. I had assumed Trung Trac was a shoo-in. It'll be interesting to see who the Vietnamese leader is!

Agreed. It's a shame to skip a Great Scientist because their ability does nothing.
I swear I get the computer eureka GE and GS in like 40% of my games . . .

Himiko is the first Hero I unlocked. Which is good because I could use another Suzerainty.

• Giant Death Robot now receives benefits from Byzantium’s Taxis ability
  • [Rise and Fall] Fixed an issue where the Ley Line bonus in Secret Societies was applying more than it should to Great People earned.
Lol they buffed Byzantium and nerfed Hermetic Order as "balance."
  • Fixed an issue where Democracy and Theocracy bonuses were not affecting districts.
This makes Democracy and allied trade routes even better for science victories, saving about 1,000 gold per spaceport purchase.

By the way, I don't know if anyone has commented on this yet, but Sinbad is really good. Does what Kupe/Vikings can do for you. But it felt really thematic to have this guy one exploring this whole knew world. I dunno how thematic any of the other heroes would feel...

Game mode looks cool. The other stuff is all good too. Some really interesting mechanics mixed into all those City States and Great People. Babylon is hilarious. Love it. Other patch stuff is all fine - no real balance changes, but that’s expected for dlc months.

FXS really need to tweak the existing Game Modes a bit though. I’d really like to play heroes with dynamic ages - seems like such a good fit - but I’m still really out off by how swingy dynamic ages. I know not everyone agrees, but it really needs a “normal” age of some sort.

Apocalypse Mode (or as I like to think of it, infinite tile repair) and secret societies would be another good combo - soothsayers and cultists, yes please. But both are just a bit wacky, particularly the surfeit of Governor bennies.

Anyway. Yup. Heroes looks good. Some really fun ideas. What a hoot.

I've played around a bit with Babylon and heroes. Hercules is nuts as expected. I want to get Sinbad because he seems amazing but didn't get him yet.

Himiko was incredibly useful in a game where I hadn't gotten Hercules or Sinbad yet. I recruited her on the last turn of Ancient and she had 8 charges; gives an envoy with each charge when next to a city state and also 50 faith if you're suzerain of it. Well, the age switched to Classical and her faith bonus was now 75. Off she went to Nazca to dump 8 envoys into it. The first two envoys were needed to get suz but after that it was 6x75 faith. The nice thing is envoys sent to a city state have a decent chance to reveal more heroes and her 8 charges revealed 5 or 6 more including Hercules (but not Sinbad boo!). Then she ran around as a super great general helping units beat up on barbs. A+, would recruit again anytime.

Also, make sure you've teched ship building or Hercules won't be able to embark to build a Harbor.

Popping a goody hut and getting a Ranger in the medieval era was pretty nice.

I think the new achievement "Let's do the time warp again" is bugged. Its condition is "As Babylon, earn 5 tech boosts for techs that are are least one era later than your current era". I just got it by settling a coastal city and getting sailing (which is ancient) in the medieval era. I'm guessing the code actually checks "is the tech current era?" rather than "is the tech LATER THAN current era?"

Top Bottom