Babylon UHV: Cultural Condition

mrjepson

Warlord
I just finished a game as the Babylonians but did not get credit for the win.

I got credit for having the largest city but not the one for the largest culture even though my city is on top of the top 5 list and has been for several turns (possibly as many as 10 turns prior to turn 87).

I am running a fresh install of BTS with 3.13 update.

I got credit for having the largest city but not the one for the largest culture even though my city is on top of the top 5 list and has been for several turns (possibly as many as 10 turns prior to turn 87).

If you captured a rival city with more culture, or that civilization collapsed, that culture is still there. Ie, if Delhi is no longer Indian but still around, Delhi's Indian culture still is. This will prevent you from achieving the UHV. However, it will not show up on the Top 5 cities list because that culture is not active. You need to raze Delhi and probably Nst-rwt (or however that's spelled) in all likelihood.

I have won a Babylonian UHV in the latest patch. (See the UHV update for Babylon on teh wiki)

I thought that if you capture a new city, all of the culture that had been produced will be lost and you will have to start all over again.

For example:

You capture Delhi that has 1000 culture. After you capture that, the culture returns to 0.

Maybe to achieve this, you must capture delhi yourself and keep it or even raze it.

BE A WARMONGER!!!

I thought that if you capture a new city, all of the culture that had been produced will be lost and you will have to start all over again.

For example:

You capture Delhi that has 1000 culture. After you capture that, the culture returns to 0.

Maybe to achieve this, you must capture delhi yourself and keep it or even raze it.

BE A WARMONGER!!!

Its more complicated than that. Delhi has lets say 500 *Indian* culture, and 0 of your culture. When you capture it, it still has 500 Indian culture and 0 of your culture, the Indian culture is just inactive. Its still there, and will return if India ever takes control of Delhi again. Also consider the spread culture spy mission, which puts a number of culture in the city that belongs to you.

Now, the Top 5 Cities only displays the top 5 active culture cities, because that's the culture that belongs to the owner. But the other culture apparently counts for Babylon's UHV condition (I tested this with the map editor to be sure), so you *must raze the city* to make it go away. Since you won't be beating Delhi outright in culture, even if you capture it, burn baby burn. Similarly, Nwt-rst.

I did burn Dehli when I took it. I took it very early in the game (with the first warrior) so I should have easily surpassed the level of culture they hit at their peak.

I didn't capture any other towns so I would think that leading the top 5 cities before and after turn 87 should mean I have the most culture. Is it possible that another city bumped higher on their turn and thats when the victory calc was done? I'll check tonight with the world builder how close the other cities were (I think thats possible to do).

I did burn Dehli when I took it. I took it very early in the game (with the first warrior) so I should have easily surpassed the level of culture they hit at their peak.

I didn't capture any other towns so I would think that leading the top 5 cities before and after turn 87 should mean I have the most culture. Is it possible that another city bumped higher on their turn and thats when the victory calc was done? I'll check tonight with the world builder how close the other cities were (I think thats possible to do).

You're always first in the turn, so yes, that's possible. I check the Egyptian capitol - they probably built stonehenge really early, and could therefore have some scary culture.

The city on the top of the top5 list is not necessarily the most cultural one I think. I noticed other factors are also taken into consideration (such as population). The F8 screen would probably be a better place to look at this (cultural victory).

You were right about the top 5 city list. An egyptian city had me beat in culture, they had founded Judaism while I wasn't looking. Back to the drawing board.

On a nother note I have found that it I am regularily beating the Chinese to writing now.

Yes, the top 5 list is not measuring just culture, it measure population, and IIRC happiness, etc. too - just like in Civ 3, Civ 2, etc.

F8 is where you need to be. In my current game, I am playing France for a change of pace. Until a few turns ago, Hamburg had the most culture (I guess the Germans must jave settled a GA there to stop it flipping to the Dutch), even though Paris was "number 1".

Cheers, Luke

Top Bottom