[NFP] Babylon's Soundtrack

Duke William of Normandy

King of England & Unofficial Welcoming Committee
Babylon's soundtrack just released, and it is amazing. What are your thoughts on the soundtrack?

As with all other soundtracks I won't listen to it until I've heard it in game. There is nothing better than advancing to a new era and suddenly hearing that shift : )

Mr Knorr just goes from strength to strength.
He is the Christopher Tin of Civ 6. Maybe better, depending on your opinion. :)

He is the Christopher Tin of Civ 6. Maybe better, depending on your opinion. :)

Tin made the main menu theme song, but didn't do the other music in Civ VI. That was Knorr, right? Or did Tin stop by to do Babylon?

Edit:
Or did I misread your message? I think you mean to say Knorr is the to Civ VI what Tin was to previous installments?
Personally, I think the Civ VI soundtrack is the best -by far-.

Tin made the main menu theme song, but didn't do the other music in Civ VI. That was Knorr, right? Or did Tin stop by to do Babylon?

Edit:
Or did I misread your message? I think you mean to say Knorr is the to Civ VI what Tin was to previous installments?
Personally, I think the Civ VI soundtrack is the best -by far-.
I meant that Knorr is to Civ 6 what Tin is to 4 and 5. Sorry if there was any misunderstanding. :)

I meant that Knorr is to Civ 6 what Tin is to 4 and 5. Sorry if there was any misunderstanding. :)
Geoff Knorr composed (most of) the music for both Civ5 and Civ6 (along with Roland Rizzo, Grant Kirkhope, and, in Civ5, Michael Curran); Tin only composed the main themes of Civ4 and Civ6, "Baba Yetu" and "Sogno di Volare." To my knowledge, the only game he composed the entire soundtrack for is Offworld Trading Company, which was good but wasn't really playing to Tin's strength, which is firmly rooted in choral music.

Geoff Knorr composed (most of) the music for both Civ5 and Civ6 (along with Roland Rizzo, Grant Kirkhope, and, in Civ5, Michael Curran); Tin only composed the main themes of Civ4 and Civ6, "Baba Yetu" and "Sogno di Volare." To my knowledge, the only game he composed the entire soundtrack for is Offworld Trading Company, which was good but wasn't really playing to Tin's strength, which is firmly rooted in choral music.
You are right. I think we all know Tin because of those two amazing pieces.

Sogno di Volare however, is beautiful, but makes me want to scratch my eardrums out after hearing it for the 90th time trying to load a civ game. So there's that.
Yes. It's the most beautiful song I never want to hear again. :p

Sogno di Volare however, is beautiful, but makes me want to scratch my eardrums out after hearing it for the 90th time trying to load a civ game.

I always mute the game until I found my first city. Sogno di Volare is beautiful indeed, though.

Babylon's theme is another great song from Geoff Knorr. Can't wait to play Babylon next Thursday.

Of the NFP soundtracks Babylon's is the least impressive to my ears so far (and it might be an original theme, and if so, it's not nearly as impressive as the Scythian theme, which is a lot more epic). I've really liked Gaul's theme and Ethiopia's theme from NFP though.

Yes. It's the most beautiful song I never want to hear again. :p
This is why there need to be multiple main menu themes (i.e. themes from the expansions one could switch with the primary game). Both Civ IV and Civ V had multiple menu themes to choose from, which made it less monotonous to load up the main menu later on.

Savor the Ancient theme in game because it won't last long. :mischief:

Fantastic game. Is it bad if I prefer the soundtrack it too his choral pieces?

Last edited:
Sogno di Volare however, is beautiful, but makes me want to scratch my eardrums out after hearing it for the 90th time trying to load a civ game. So there's that.

I thinkt he issue is that they never changed the tune. Even Civ 4 changed it for the expansion packs, but Civ 6 has kept the same theme song for the years to come .

Also, low key, I think Baba Yetu is miles better than Sogno. It's a nice song but it's doesn't take my breath away like Baba Yetu does.

Back to the topic of Babylon's song

It is absolutely beautiful and I love it. Especially the Middle Ages version. It just makes me excited to play with them so much more.

Savor the Ancient theme in game because it won't last long. :mischief:
I wonder if I could somehow replace all the other themes with the Ancient one? :p

It's a great soundtrack; I especially love "Red Planet Nocturne." To me, though, it just didn't stand out from the vast ocean of sci-fi soundtracks that are out there. He definitely seems more comfortable composing choral music.

I'm with you on that. Some of the tracks are marvels of compositional construction, like "Allegro for Hydroponic Systems", which sounds like movie music for a busy inventor making marvels to me. :)

You know what would be rad? If Tin made sci-fi esque tracks for some of the Civ VII tracks. We would get less repetition if a different composer took over the Atomic Era tracks I think (if they go with era-specific music in Civ VII that is).

I thinkt he issue is that they never changed the tune. Even Civ 4 changed it for the expansion packs, but Civ 6 has kept the same theme song for the years to come .

Also, low key, I think Baba Yetu is miles better than Sogno. It's a nice song but it's doesn't take my breath away like Baba Yetu does.

Back to the topic of Babylon's song

It is absolutely beautiful and I love it. Especially the Middle Ages version. It just makes me excited to play with them so much more.
Agreed re: Baba Yetu; that song is literally everywhere now, and I found dozens of variations on YouTube with many, many views. Chris Tin himself seems to quite like that judging by his newsletters where he posted some links to some especially wonderful renditions.

I must be one of the only ones in this thread who likes Babylon's Atomic theme better than all the other versions. I find it just more complete than the others (less bland for one), and more epic.

You know what would be rad? If Tin made sci-fi esque tracks for some of the Civ VII tracks. We would get less repetition if a different composer took over the Atomic Era tracks I think (if they go with era-specific music in Civ VII that is).
I'm pretty sure that Phill Boucher is composing atomic themes whereas Knorr and Rizzo compose other music, unless I misunderstood what you ment by "if a different composer took over the Atomic Era tracks."

Top Bottom