[RD] Backpacking Việt Nam (2019)

I have not but now that seems obvious! I just need to figure out where to hang it. Thanks for the suggestion!

There's this thing which is called, sarcastically, an "I love me wall". Which is normally about people who try to impress people who come into their offices with all the awards, diplomas, and pictures of important people that they have met.

A less egotistical variant on the theme is places you've been and things that you've done. Like find a wall in your house you can devote to mementos of all your travels.

I've always thought of having a sort of "travel room", where I could store gear, souvenirs, and related belongings.. But at first that was never really needed and now all the rooms in my house have a solid claim for some other purpose. Over time I've accumulated enough stuff from these trips to warrant revisiting this idea, but it will have to wait for now. I probably eventually also want to have photos from my trips in various parts of the house, but I just never got around printing and framing any

You've given me some ideas though.. such as.. a love me wall in the bathroom so that guests can be impressed while they poop. I would probably feel too embarrassed setting up such a wall elsewhere in the house, but at least in the bathroom it's kind of funny and unexpected. It would probably also get old fast, so it's probably not going to happen, but nevertheless there's something to that idea.

Rotate pics and objects on display every 6 months.

I prefer a sort of minimalist house with the least possible amount of maintenance. That's basically my excuse for never putting anything up. I don't think that rotating objects is in the cards, unfortunately
Buy a Swiffer duster.

Honestly, having my grandmother's paintings around is an immense comfort, as most of them are of places where we've either been on holidays or where my dad has been during his hunting trips. All of them are places in either Alberta or British Columbia.

Which means the BC ones are doubly precious, now that at least one of those places is in very real danger of burning to the ground. My dad's woodcarving of a snowy owl that he made from one of the fallen trees on that mountain is even more precious.

If you do put a few things out, don't worry about what other people will think of them. You're the one who lives there. And you never know what might spark an interesting conversation with a visitor.

Pub Street in Hanoi
Tạ Hiện Street

I tracked down this live facebook video clip from the 2nd day of the trip that did not make it into the thread. It shows off a part of Hanoi you did not get to see, so it seems worth posting.

Pub Street is a pedestrian street in Hanoi that gets packed with people in the evenings. There's lots of bars, clubs, and restaurants here that have seating out in the street. I came here to unwind after a long day and ended up finding a seat at a table near one of the bars. It's so packed with people that you are basically forced to mingle. I ended up chatting with two gentlemen from somewhere in North America who were here on a business trip, the next day flying to China. I think we spent a half an hour just talking about their business, of which I remember absolutely nothing. I also met a group of Israeli travelers who sat down at the table later.

I remember a festive and upbeat atmosphere here. Even as an introvert I was tempted to stay a bit longer and meet more people, but I don't really like to drink too much when I travel, as that tends to screw up your plans the next day a bit..

Here's a similar video from another day, most likely from somewhere nearby

Last edited:
Phở Sướng

This was the third best phở I had in Vietnam and the best in Hanoi. The restaurant occupies two properties on the opposite sides of a narrow street and looks quite run down from both the outside and inside. Prices are quite cheap and the dining room is furnished by cheap communal tables and small plastic chairs. You put in your order on the opposite side of the street and sit down on the other side on one of the small plastic chairs, where you wait for your order to arrive.

I have to admit I was a bit intimidated by this restaurant at first, as it very much doesn't seem to care to cater to tourists, although it is somewhat popular with foreigners. The standards are the same you'd expect at any other local eatery and the quality of the food seems to be the main focus of the owners. It seems to work as this phở was really good and the restaurant is quite popular.

I've been going through my trip again to see if there's anything I missed and this restaurant definitely deserves a mention.

That seems to be a lot of Scallions. Normally they only give you a small sprinkle of them because of the strong taste
But scallions are cheap vegetable and you will find them in many traditional dishes. They grow very fast, harvest them multiple times, and are hardy plant.

I feel like PHO but my favorite restaurant is in lockdown and takeaway just isnt the same as freshly made bowel indoor

Top Bottom