Backup Server Helpdesk

SpoiledFruit

Chieftain
This thread is for any questions or comments about the backup (or primary, if SourceForge doesn't work well) FTP/CSV server.

One thing to note:
I WILL NOT post the IP address of the server on the forums. If you need the IP address, I will PM it to you.

Password resets will also be handeled via PM or email.

Other than that any post is welcome (except spam of course)

I'm getting a error:

error said:
An error occured opening that folder on the FTP Server. Make sure you have permission to access that folder.

Details:
A connection with the server could not be established.
This is after I log on using the username and password you sent me.

I can't connect at all. I can successfully ping the IP, but I don't get a login dialog. I tested it with several browsers. Windwos firewall is off, router is configured for port 21 passthrough.

Any idea?

12m

The FTP program says that SimCutie connected. Let me go through the logs and see what is wrong. I just got done with work so I can check the server finally.

-------

It seems that someone is trying to log in as Administrator about 300 times. Whoever is doing this stop or I will ban your IP from the server. I set a very different strong password for that account. The password guesses were way off.

TGA- I'm seeing that you loged on and the server accepted it. (see note below)

12Monkeys - I can't see any sort of connection attempt to the FTP program but I see your ping to the server itself. What is your network and OS setup?

I think the problem was from the person trying to log in as Administrator. It was overloading the program cause it was trying to block the connection every time. I think yours got lost in the mess. I really think it is childish to try and hack a server I have set up for everyone to benifit from. I am not running the IIS FTP service so it's not nearly as vurnerable. There is nothing on this server right now except the FTP program, and an AntiVirus, so whatever you hope to find you will be dissapointed.

At first I was getting that same 503 error that I reported earlier, but now I am just getting "operation timed out". In both cases I never saw anything ut white screen.

This is atempt to hack into the Server is rather desturbing, do we have some kind of saboture in out mists? Could it be from someone outside the forum?

That is indeed quite strange that somebody would try to hack the server - surely there's nothing to gain :confused:. As Impagler suggested; is there any chance it could be somebody from outside the forum?

I'll try logging on again later today. Can't at the moment.

There are people doing wide IP range pings in the internet. If they got response, they try to hack it. I'm quite sure, that there is software available, to automize those admin connect retries with a bunch of common passwords.

IMO thim is more likely than that there is anybody from our project trying to do it.

@SpoiledFruit : in any case, you shoud remove the IP adress of your server from your post in the other thread. Once the forum get public, everybody can see the IP.

12m

Still getting the same error, however it's no longer promting me to enter my username and password - it might because silly IE has saved the info and it attempting to use it automatically.

The failure may be because I'm trying to connect using the uni connection. I don't know.

Using IE, the user comes up in the bottom right as User: Annoymous after it fails to access the folder. Is this bad?

SpoiledFruit said:
12Monkeys - I can't see any sort of connection attempt to the FTP program but I see your ping to the server itself. What is your network and OS setup?

Still the same problem, there is no response.

My OS is XP-PROF SP2, all newest patches installed.

Network is a TCP/IP LAN, connected to Internet via DSL Router.

XP Firewall is on, Router firewall is on, but port 21 is open on both. I can connect to other FTP sources without any problem.

I did try it with Firefox, IE and Opera, allways no response. Ping to your server is OK.

12m

The FTP server is back up and I made a few changes to the user files. I would like everyone to try to at least attempt to log in and upload and download a text file in there folders so I know everyone can connect.

With luck I will have the CVS implemented on the project files in the civ4 directory soon.

Had problems with IE and Firefox, but was able to connect and upload through the command line. Of course, not gonna' want to do that for future files, so I'll see if I can get my sftp client to work.

Edit: Filezilla works quite nicely with it. I can upload and download fine.

FTP server seems to have problem with listing directory in passive mode.
We need passive mode because we normally use XDSL lines in home.
Workd with comamnd line ftp. But IE failed to display or browse the folder contents. My FTP-capable text editor won't work too. It says that directory listing is refused by server. Need to fix it to work smoothly.
Comamnd line only ftp would be not much useful for our job.

Getting this again:
Error said:
An error occured opening that folder on the FTP Server. Make sure you have permission to access that folder.

Details:
A connection with the server could not be established.

Could log on fine last night.

I'm at home currently and I can connect with FTP Commander Pro. I also can upload /download stuff and list directories.

Great! Finally it works.

Thx Spoiledfruit. I will try to upload my stuff tonight.

The FTP server I'm using is set to not accept connections via browsers due to the hacking attempt earlier. Also FXP clients can't connect either. Sorry for not mentioning this earlier.

I have placed some usefull programs in my personal folder that you can check out. This includes VisualPython that is a plugin for VS 2003 that allows python projects and is free. Also there is XMLSpy that Firaxis used in either the Pro or free edition. The CVS service I plan to use is also in the folder for you to check out.

SpoiledFruit said:
The FTP server I'm using is set to not accept connections via browsers due to the hacking attempt earlier. Also FXP clients can't connect either. Sorry for not mentioning this earlier.
That would explain it. Good idea ;)

A suggestion - each user should have two directories; a work in progress directory, and a submission direcotory.

The WiP directory would be used to showcase what they are currently doing so that suggestions can be made. The submission directory would be the one which is used to combine & compile for each release.

This means that incomplete work can be uploaded for review, and we don't have to go through everybody making sure that the version is complete before it is combined & compiled.

I'm able to connect now but I belive I am getting the same "Could not retrive directory listing" that SimCutie had. As I have no idea how to do it command line and am totaly dependent on GUI I am at an impass. :confused:

I'm using XP, FileZilla, port 21 (what it defaulted too when I pressed connect)

Top Bottom