1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Bad Brazil voice acting

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Skull_, Jul 30, 2013.

1. Skull_

Skull_ Chieftain

One bad thing does not turn another bad thing good because it's worst. Honestly, I don't know how bad is Atila or Montezuma, since I have no idea which language they speak(atila looks like russian, but it does not make any sense anyway).

2. tomtom5858

tomtom5858 Prince

I just told you what languages they speak. Chuvash and Nahuatl, respectively. My point was, compared to them, you have absolutely nothing to complain about.

3. Qbone

Qbone Chieftain

As a French speaker, hearing Napeoleon speaking to me so informally makes me cringe somehow. Also, having him boast as the greatest military mind of History feels meta for me. Then again, Ramesses claims he's a God.

4. Tinker

Tinker Prince

Ramesses WAS, for all intents and purposes, a god though, as were all pharaohs. He would've known that in his own lifetime.

Then again, Napoleon wasn't exactly known to be humble, either.

5. sterrius

sterrius Chieftain

Pedro was know to be a pacifist, he hated war. He was also very ahead of its time in human rights etc (his thinking not that he was able to do everything he wanted). He is no Ghandi, but he is also far far away from a warmonger. He is also one of the most intellectual leaders of that time. (did constant letters or even talked with Nietzsche, Emerson, Lewis Carrol, Júlio Verne and Victor Hugo, was the first to finance Louis Pasteur, he also talked with archaeologists Schliemann and Mariette in his visit to egypt and troy, and to finish he was a protector of Jean Charco who influenced freud).

So when i see a leader with so much intellectual baggage, i can only see someone very rational and that at least try to hide his emotions. (and he was also very introvert).

About the age of the portuguese, he use mostly modern portuguese, but i don´t blame 2k on that, its not that easy to find people that talk old brazilian portuguese today.

About napoleon i just can´t see him outside of that total war: Napoleon introduction video.

6. Skull_

Skull_ Chieftain

Guy why are you saying that he speaks "old brazilian portuguese"?

That is wrong, there's nothing old on his portuguese. I mean NOTHING. One word can be considered old, but honestly? I still know people that talk this word anyway.

7. HerrDoktor

HerrDoktor Mad Scientist

All leaders speak the modern version of their languages if it's still alive. However, modern Rio de Janeiro accent was formed by the presence of the Royal Court in 1808, so it's likely it was very similar to what's spoken today during the 19th century, differently from São Paulo, which had the typical countryside accent, changed by Italian immigrants in late 19th century and changed again by Northeastern migrants in the 60s to 80s.

8. anewone

anewone Chieftain

Why does Napoelon boasting feel meta to you? He is regarded as a brilliant tactician who managed to win against armies that many thought were unbeatable and created a massive empire.

9. ombak

ombak Warlord

Well, I have to admit, having mostly played Brazil so far I have hardly heard Pedro at all. I should probably do this since I'm Brazilian and working in this same field (localizing games).

I like some of the ideas or concepts that people have used to defend his sound here - that he wouldn't get too excited about war and instead sound like a rationalist. I like the idea of having his characterization be along those lines since it fits the persona.

As for Rio de Janeiro accents, it would be more surprising if he didn't have one. Rio is still the center of Brazil's TV and dubbing industry (while São Paulo is the economy and Brasilia the official capital). A lot of dubbing work is done in Rio. The Rio accent today of course isn't the same as in Pedro's time but it's hard to capture old accents, that's usually done by changing a person's vocabulary a little.

I do think Elizabeth is a caricatured accent so I'm really curious to see Pedro II now and will play against him and try to provoke him a little!

10. Skull_

Skull_ Chieftain

Pedro has no emotions. Empty in his voice acts.

11. Melo-Franco

Melo-Franco Warlord

The Magnanimous is just sure he's going to smite his opponents; he feels a kind of a Schadenfreude about it already. He was friends with Victor Hugo and other humanists, after all. The French poet called him the "grandson of Marc Aurelius" (another great humanist).
    Occasionally, he met Nietzsche in Vienna as well and the deepness of the Emperor's scholarship (and the command of several languages) caused quite an impression on the German philosopher. Nietzsche's harshness was not his cup of tea, however: Pedro II was all about a more inclusive approach to culture.
    There's a famous compliment Hugo addressed him: he told Pedro that it was a good thing not to have an Emperor like him in Europe. The Magnanimous asked why and the answer was: "otherwise there would be no Republicans in this continent."

12. Arachnofiend

Arachnofiend Perturbed Pugilist

Speaking as an American with more than a few British friends, Elizabeth sounds like what Americans who only know English accents from BBC dramas think English accents sound like. :lol:

Surprised nobody's talked about Washington and his Clinton accent yet. First time I heard that I couldn't help but laugh.

13. True_Candyman

True_Candyman Emperor

I've learned to accept the many fake accents you americans export across the atlantic. I then learned to passive aggressively comment on american understandings of accents.

Elizabeth isn't the worst, but no-one speaks like that. Frankly i'm just grateful we didn't get Churchill instead. :goodjob:

14. Goldkoron

Goldkoron Chieftain

Brazil needs Morocco's colors, if you guys know what I mean.

15. Murrica

Murrica Chieftain

Monte basically speaks Mexican Spanish. I sometimes do a double take to make sure he isn't. Or maybe I'm just used to hearing that language from all those history lectures I attend.

16. Melo-Franco

Melo-Franco Warlord

I don't know what you mean, is it some kind of racist gibberish?

Moderator Action: If you think the comment has racist overtones or is insensitive in some way, please report it and explain why so we can understand it (where we are from sometimes limits our understanding of what others may find offensive). Making a discussion of it will result in trolling or worse. Please help us to understand so we can correct the situation.
    Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

17. Skull_

Skull_ Chieftain

18. ombak

ombak Warlord

I sort of did too I suppose - I grew up in Brazil but in a very international group, going to school in English, haring British teachers, then some Americans. At the same time I would hear all the fake accents on TV or in the movies.

Now I can't stand some of them - the American idea of a Scottish accent for example, or the Dwarf that's based on Scottish. It's so grating! (Say that with a "Scottish accent").

At any rate, I haven't started a new game just to hear Pedro because I found a video on youtube with most (all?) of his lines. I get the "he has no emotion" complaint but would you want to misrepresent his character? I mean, what if he was always very level in these situations?

I do still feel like there's something lacking in the performance but I don't necessarily think that bein enraged at war would make any sense for someone who is portrayed as composed.

19. Arachnofiend

Arachnofiend Perturbed Pugilist

Yeah, I personally find Pedro's character refreshing. The calm, composed diplomat is pretty unique among the leaderheads in this game; the only one I'd consider to be similar is Augustus, who also happens to be among my favorite leaderheads.

20. Skull_

Skull_ Chieftain

Well I think you understand. Finally.

Yeah I rly think he is just to calm and everything. But well I guess this is very hard to judge since each person has an opinion about it. What I would like to know is if you think that his voice acting is good in terms of "not looking as a soup opera actor dobbing an american movie".