1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Bad luck or bad planning?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Equisilus, Feb 28, 2008.

1. Equisilus

Equisilus Unlikely

Sorry that this'll be vague on details, but I didn't expect it to happen so didn't keep a running tally.

Thing is, I lost a game on lowly Warlord within 6 minutes because of a Barbarian uprising. A six-archer stack stormed my borders while I had a single worker, my capital had a population of 3 or 4, my warrior was too far north to make it back, I had a single archer guarding my capital, and another archer being built (not in time to do any defending). I don't recall ever having an uprising that quickly; I hadn't even met any of the other eight civs yet!

Is this kind of result simple bad luck or do most of you (even on those low difficulty levels) pump up on warriors/archers to protect you from barbarians? Most of my games I seem to get by quite well with standard protection for quite some time. I'm not a war-mongerer and prefer the building over battle, but I don't like turning off the barbarians or war because they do add some interesting dynamics to the game (like this event).

2. dayhjawk

dayhjawk Chieftain

I assume you are playing BTS, and that stack of archers means u got the random event or like I have seen, someone near you got the random event killed them and came your direction or totally skipped them and came for you.

I had in one game the same thing happen but it happened to Saladin who I had down to his last town. Because of the placement of the town, it placed the stack on the other side of the lake, and because my city was in the stacks way, killed my stack then headed to kill saladin.

Personally, I hate that event, there is like 2-4 events like that, archers, axemen, spearmen, dont' remember them all. I took the liberty looking them up on the forums reading the requirements and now I dont' see them anymore. That and I always build Great Wall. Get the Great Wall, then get the event, then let that stack take out everyone else while you follow behind to take the cities as they go. In one game, I managed to get 3 other civs cities before there was no one else on the continent but me and the stack. Not bad considering I had the Great wall and could hide in my cities from the stack. Founded 4 cities, and took over 9 more from them.

3. Cutlass

Cutlass The Man Who Wasn't There.

I think bad luck. I've seen enough people complain about this to assume that the programmers made certain that a certain percentage of games were going to end this way.

4. DigitalBoy

DigitalBoy Emperor

It's just rotten luck really. If it's archers, you may be able to pop-rush archers in time to save your capital but if not, it can't really be helped. I've had barbarian uprisings spawn f'ing horse archers while the game was still in the quadruple digit BC years.

Interesting note, I think the barbarians only attack the civ with the highest score, even after they've already spawned. So they may spawn on your borders and then decide to spend a thousand years traversing the continent to fight your neighbor. At least, that's what I think; I don't know for sure how the barbs' reasoning works.

5. Equisilus

Equisilus Unlikely

Yeah, come to think of it, this happened to Kubla Kahn in another game I was playing (he was leading) and the stack of swordsmen walked right by one of my cities, within my border, and made a bee-line for him. This was likely the same thing, since I'm almost always leading in points early on (I'm an aggressive builder of culture and tech). I had forgotten about it perhaps being a random event (yes, I'm playing BtS) so that decides between bad luck or bad planning. Hard to cover an event like that that early.

6. cronullasharks

cronullasharks Warlord

I once had 6 units arrive at my door too....but they were spearmen and I had one babylonian bowman on a hill city eat them all

But generally its my one and only "restart" event

7. Refar

Refar Deity

I got lucky yesterday, and survived a super early 4 Archers Barb uprising with just 1 Warrior fortified in the capital... :woohoo: Was on the hill cross the river... Still a regular warrior killing 4 archers :crazyeye:

But generally those events are bad luck - if its comes early and close - like before slavery, there is nothing that can be done - short of praying of course.

8. Thrasybulus

Thrasybulus Chieftain

Bad luck - and I've had it in spades. 3 straight times as Hannibal. The first was a generic barb uprising which wiped me out before 2000 bc, the next my warrior popped 4 barb warriors from a hut just outside my borders and i was dead at 3700bc!, the last one I at least was in slavery and was able to survive a spearman assualt (and go on to win the game).

9. AmazonQueen

AmazonQueen Virago

Bad Luck
    The presence of that event is another argument for going BW asap I supose as with slavery you can rush extra warriors/archers even if you haven't linked up copper

10. szemek77

szemek77 Prince

It is a bad luck indeed. It happened to me once (5 or 6 spearmen) I tried
    to defend (put all my available warriors in one city) but I was "blown" by
    the "wind of history".

I was kind of angry, because due to starting location (no tundra, no ice, little
    bit of desert on my continent) I was hoping for a nice game.

As I see from your comments, it happens usually to early to set up
    a proper defense against it. I suppose that that was the idea of game creators
    to end certain percentage of games this way.

It can be a consolation that it probably happened many times in history.

I personally think that the idea of devastating barbarian ride is not used properly in CIV BTS. It would be more interesting to create such event later in the game (let's say - around 1 AD - 1000 AD), but more powerful. You would have opportunity to survive, but your development would be put on hold for some time. Such event happened for example to Central Eastern Europe in 1241. Poland and Hungary were invaded by hords of Mongols. Both countries (Poland was divided into small pieces at that time) survived but suffered from this event for many years.

Or you will not survive :( like Western Roman Empire in 476 after long time
    of barbarian pillage actions.

11. Pir Lan Tota

Pir Lan Tota Warlord

Bad luck...though I do like this random event. Several times I had an uprising right after building the GW (how I do love this wonder now a-days). Nothing nicer then to see them turn around and start exterminating some poor neighbour :D

12. dubrown

dubrown Prince

I must've been lucky with this event. I seldom focus on the GW but maybe I would if I started to get this event at the wrong time. So far I've got it a few times and all times I've been so far in the process so I had appropriate counter units so the only thing it gave me was some extra XP for my units... The most scary one was likely when 6 Swords appeard outside my capital and I had just managed to hook up bronze and no horses ( no iron either for that matter...) around (bad starting location...). What saved me that time was that the AI splitt that nice stack of 6 and only sent two towards my capital, and those two my newly whipped Axe could handle with ease.