1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Bad news for SMAC fans (EA Trademarks Alpha Centauri)

Discussion in 'Alpha Centauri' started by MoonFlare, Aug 10, 2011.

1. MoonFlare

MoonFlare Prince

2. Herfelt

Herfelt Chieftain

I hope they can keep the same style, but I dont count on it... At least they cant take away the original game even if the sequel sucks.

3. Darsnan

Darsnan Emperor

Why does the article author automatically assume a sequel? Considering how long SMAC(X) has been out of circulation (and considering this is EA we are talking about here) EA could probably get away with just updating the graphics (because it was generally agreed the in-game graphics were atrocious), "improving" the AI, allowing more than 7 Factions in a game (which is actually more involved than just changing a line of code), and calling it a day.

If it was a sequel then I wonder which avenue EA would take? More Mindworms/ Fungus/ Planet-Mind, or something different for the 8th Faction?

D

4. Strategist83

Strategist83 King

Silly pessimist.

5. Petek

Petek Alpha Centaurian Administrator Supporter

This article, contains more information. EA's original trademark expired in 2009. The new trademarks are for "Computer game software; Downloadable computer game software" and "electronic computer games provided via the Internet." Possibly EA renewed the trademark simply to prevent "cyber-squatting." Another possibility is that EA intends to create an Alpha Centauri Facebook app. It's all speculation until EA makes an official announcement.

6. Darsnan

Darsnan Emperor

Nooooo!!!! :thumbsdown:

Probably the likely reason.

btw thanx for the heads-up on that spambot at that other site: its dead now.

D

7. Petek

Petek Alpha Centaurian Administrator Supporter

Agreed!!!

You're welcome.

8. Drakan

Drakan Voluntas Omnia Vincit

http://uk.gamespot.com/news/6328448/ea-seeking-alpha-centauri-trademark

EA seeking Alpha Centauri trademark

By Tom Magrino, GameSpot
    Posted Aug 11, 2011 12:17 am GMT

Publisher indicates continued interest in Sid Meier's classic turn-based strategy series with new USPTO filing.

Over the past couple of years, Electronic Arts has teased gamers with trademark application filings for some of its more beloved classic franchises, ranging from Syndicate to Road Rash, Populous, Theme Park, and Wing Commander. Now, one more filing can be added to that list, as this month the publisher asserted its claim on the Alpha Centauri name.

Alpha Centauri doesn't fall too far from the Civilization tree.

EA's most recent filings with the US Patent and Trademark Office came on August 1. Two applications were submitted, both for the Alpha Centauri name. The first lists "entertainment services, namely, providing an on-line computer game" as its primary use. The other explicitly states that the name will be used for "computer game software."

The mark is presumably in reference to EA's classic turn-based strategy franchise Alpha Centauri, which was developed by Firaxis Games before being purchased by Take-Two Interactive. A collaboration between Sid Meier and Brian Reynolds, Alpha Centauri received critical acclaim upon its release for the PC in January 1999. The franchise has lain dormant since Alpha Centauri's first and only expansion, Alien Crossfire, shipped in October 1999.

EA has thus far made little use of its trademarked classics. The Darkness developer Starbreeze has been attached to EA's Syndicate revival, though that project has yet to be formally announced. Reports emerged earlier this week that EA will be releasing a Theme Park title for iOS later this year.

Moderator Action: Threads merged.

9. White Elk

White Elk 99 > 1

So they've trademarked the name Alpha Centauri independent of the "Sid Meier's". Does seem like they consider releasing another game. Perhaps the large volume of recent sales at GOG.com, has motivated them to consider a remake. The game has been available at GOG for just a couple months, and already it's ranked high in the Best Seller list.

I would like a remake, but have lost faith in publishers like EA. I'm just glad they signed the deal with GOG so that I was able to buy a DRM free digital copy of the original game. That was cool! I hope GOG will soon get the rights to release the expansion.

10. Bllasae

Bllasae Prince

They'd better not, that's a terrible idea.

11. Acronym2

Acronym2 'Cedo Alteram'

I don't know if I'd get all excited speculating over these little "scraps" of information about EA renewing their copyright. One of those articles suggests that this was done because EA was re-releasing the original game as a digital download, which makes sense. I think it's more likely that EA is simply just retaining the rights to sell and distribute the original game with an eye on giving it a run through the DLC's rather than any desire to create a sequel. Although that doesn't completely rule out the possibility of a SMAC II. The PC game world is going through a bit of a schism, with some game companies moving towards mass media marketing, while others are continuing to embrace the fanbase niches with new emphasis on attracting disenfranchised fans from game titles that went "mass media".

So, that could possibly spark some interest at EA to make a SMAC II. Personally, I feel SMAC is by far the most interesting and unique game of the entire Civilization Series. SMAC II would be a pretty slick way to tempt Firaxis/2k fans who are disappointed with CivV and Steam into giving EA a closer look.

12. Chibiabos

Chibiabos Prince

EA probably will kick around some ideas for an Alpha Centauri II, but I doubt they'd do it with Firaxis since Firaxis seems married to 2k.

13. GoodGame

GoodGame Red, White, & Blue, baby!

Hmmmm..... Spore 2: Alpha Centauri?

:lol:

14. Pikestaff

Pikestaff Chieftain

I'd love to see a SMAC sequel or remake if done properly-- keep all the interesting quotes and factions, re-outfit the graphics, tweak the gameplay so it's a bit more Civ IV-ish, maybe.

So long as we don't get the aforementioned Facebook SMAC, Spore SMAC, or FPS "X-Com" SMAC... :p

15. IdaGno

IdaGno Chieftain

strongly disagree

16. Core Imposter

Core Imposter Deity

Oh, SMAC was the ultimate turn based game.

17. MoonFlare

MoonFlare Prince

Chess:borg: