1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Baking Cakes and Discrimination: Or, "What Would Jesus Do?"

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Cutlass, Aug 14, 2018.

1. Berzerker

Berzerker Deity

Freemen always had more political clout, the 3/5ths compromise served to close part of the gap. I didn't know a slave owner got to vote for every slave they owned, are you sure about that? The compromise counted slaves 3/5ths of free people in the census which translated into less clout than if they counted like everyone else, but Freemen were the majority from the start. Thats another thread though, this one already got branched off for being OT once.

You follow me around with your Trump-like obsession to post insults and now you're lecturing me about good faith. Where's the puke emoji?

Where did I say Jesus talked about gay marriage? I cant read your mind, just what you've posted - you requested a quote of Jesus talking about marriage between a man and a woman and I posted the quote.

They dont need the OT God for their interpretation of Jesus' words regarding marriage. Before gay marriage was an issue Christians were quoting Jesus to ban polygamy and that practice had a long established history in the OT.

Why is it stupid? The 3/5ths compromise didn't preserve slavery, correct? Slavery was abolished, right?

Thats the quote Kenobi used at Poly against me when I argued for gay marriage, I had to concede the point to him on that matter. The quote appears earlier in the thread, Jesus refers back to Adam and Eve to argue against hypocritical and unjust divorce law, he cites them as the proper marriage. He's silent on gay marriage because it wasn't an issue, but polygamy was and Christians used Jesus' words against it.

2. rah

rah Deity Supporter

So Jesus never said directly that marriage was ONLY between a man and a woman? You have to kind of read between the lines?

Lexicus likes this.
  3. Hrothbern

Hrothbern Deity

Jesus did say directly that a male can be born differently than most males

Born !

4. Patine

Patine Deity

Strangely, in terms of the marriage issue, Jesus only directly and personally addressed divorce.
    And yes, that oblique and unclear, "eunuch parable" that theologians even today are unclear by what He meant there.

5. civvver

civvver Deity

?? I don't follow. Why would the pizza shop still be around? They had to close it initially because of so many protesters and threats, then it reopened later, but couldn't do enough business and shuttered again. I mean I only read one article on it but that's what I gathered. So people basically boycotted it.

Same stuff with papa johns, he say some racial slurs, it got out, everyone's boycotting it. I don't know how much actual sales have taken a hit but the stock dropped a lot.

Anyway if the government wants to stop all this stuff in its tracks just expand the civil rights act to say sexual orientation/martial status. Right now you can refuse service for pretty much any reason except those explicitly listed as color, race, national origin, religion.

6. Hrothbern

Hrothbern Deity

He is very precise in his phrasing
    To avoid the word born to be unclear he adds born from their mothers wombs

Do mind that Jesus said many provocative things.
    This is much more visible if you put the gospels besides each other
    In some gospels the sharp edges are gone.
    But I think you may fairly assume for those cases that is more likely that the sharp edges were polished away in some gospels, than added in other gospels.

That leaves us indeed with some provocative statements that can keep theologians busy.... my guess is because it is so convenient.... not because it is so unclear.

7. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Deity

If the pizza shop hadn't been sued there would have been no media circus, so no protests and threats. So without the government intervention, at least to a level that allowed for them to be sued, they would still be in business. Sure, it would be great if instead of filing suit one could just call 'the department of anti-discrimination enforcement' and get some sort of immediate relief, but that isn't happening and will certainly NEVER happen under an AG like Jeff Sessions.

The civil rights act does explicitly cover discrimination based on gender, BTW. A case could be made that refusing service based on "it's a gay wedding" is in fact discrimination based on the gender of the spouse so is a direct violation.

8. Cutlass

Cutlass The Man Who Wasn't There.

:dunno: Don't care. He's a bigot. He's chosen to worship satan and burn in hell for all eternity. But his conscious and deliberate choice of eternal damnation is besides the point: The point is that in addition to being a foaming at the mouth rabid satanist, he's also a criminal. The law really doesn't care about the fact that he's choosing to spend eternity being raped by demons. The law cares about the fact that he is choosing to harm real people in a real way here.

9. Azem.Ocram

Azem.Ocram King

This is a simple 1st Amendment violation that resulted in legal action forcing involuntary labor. Involuntary labor is slavery, whether resulting from chattel, imprisonment, or law suit. Chattel slavery is illegal but slavery is more commonplace in the north than it used to be.

10. miaasma

miaasma Prince

is this ironic

11. Azem.Ocram

Azem.Ocram King

To clarify: freedom of expression and freedom of religion means that the government cannot force an artist to do work he does not want to do, nor can the government force a religious person to break their vows/go against their religious belief. Therefore forcing a baker to bake a cake in support of something against his beliefs is unconstitutional.

12. miaasma

miaasma Prince

the amount of people (most of whom seem to live in the US) who truly believe that nonsense is quite astounding

Lexicus likes this.
  13. Cutlass

Can't force action, no. But can force monetary penalties to the people he harmed with his satanism.

14. red_elk

red_elk Deity

This year there was a lawsuit in Moscow against owner of private bakery, who kicked a gay out of his shop.
    May be there's something in baking ingredients, which makes these people homophobic?

15. Azem.Ocram

Azem.Ocram King

FYI, I know of several bakeries that sell cakes off the rack. They are less expensive than customized cakes. Selling cakes previously made should not be controversial. However, most expert artistic bakers don’t sell any cakes like that.

Did I miss something about Satanism? I really don’t care what religion one has but deliberately mislabelling the teachings of Yeshua, Buddha, Mohammed or Moses as “Satanic” is offfensive.

16. Synsensa

Synsensa Deity Retired Moderator

Treating people as lesser, discriminating against them, and wishing them misfortune seems to fall under the purview of Satan and not All-Loving God & Jesus.

17. Hygro

Hygro soundcloud.com/hygro/

Man I dunno, I'm not really a fan of obliging people their labor but if you're a premier cakemaker in town and others are opting not to compete because the position is filled it's pretty evil to be hatin' like that. Why should the democratic state grant you corporate charter?

18. zxcvbob

zxcvbob Emperor

It's amazing how many people refuse to see that, and then they even get all self-righteous about it.

19. Cutlass

Bigots are not followers of the teachings of Yeshua, Buddha, Mohammed or Moses. They're followers of the teachings of satan.

20. miaasma

miaasma Prince

satan doesn't seem like such a bad guy, i doubt he'd house bigots
    being self-righteous in the face of brazen homophobia just kind of comes naturally i guess