1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Baking Cakes and Discrimination: Or, "What Would Jesus Do?"

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Cutlass, Aug 14, 2018.

1. Hygro

Hygro soundcloud.com/hygro/

It only took me 15ish years before I realized how much people are misunderstanding and underestimating Berzerker. Tim wants to punch so that's his role, and Berzerker can take a punch so it sums out there, but what Berzerker is really doing in all is much more valuable and insightful.

Don't read between Berzerker's lines, don't attach him to a side, don't assume all the commonly correlating "Therefore's" to his position. Don't add self-affirming premises to the argument.

Sometimes it's easier to go to 100 or stay at zero. Berzerker's gonna ask you to ride at an uncomfortable 25 but if you can't hang there what business does anyone have when they can't ride their own spectrum?

Azem.Ocram and yung.carl.jung like this.
  2. miaasma

miaasma Prince

now that's deep

3. JollyRoger

JollyRoger Slippin' Jimmy Supporter

It is not an end run to choose between bigotry and limited liability anymore than it is an end run to allow businesses to insist that a Christian employee work on Sunday. The Christian can always choose another job if it offends his faith.

4. Hygro

You got at least a decade. Hang in there kiddo

5. miaasma

miaasma Prince

didn't read your post because i was too busy sniffing glue

Synsensa likes this.
  6. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Deity

The fool can sit at the foot of the wisest man and hear no wisdom in his words, while the wise man can find enlightenment even in the sound of a turd splashing into the bowl.

But the turd is still just a turd.

Lexicus and miaasma like this.
  7. miaasma

miaasma Prince

i stopped reading his posts pages ago

there isn't anything revolutionary there, much as he thinks there is

any twitter troll types the same sort of tripe

8. FriendlyFire

FriendlyFire Codex WMDicanious

One mans freedom fighter is another mans terrorist.
    (Or in the US case its is the same man)

Next you will be telling me how unfair it is that AlQeda was banned in the US and how no fly list are unconsitutional. The horse left the stable a long time ago.

9. Hygro

Get well

10. Berzerker

Berzerker Deity

Thanks for the kind words... they will be met with unkind words :(

The end run is not the baker's doing, its the state coercing him to stop practicing his religion in exchange for protection. How about police protection? Can the state afford this liability protection only to those who speak well of the politicians and deny it to critics? Can a baker be coerced into authoring a blessing for a gay marriage? So its bigotry to believe marriage is between a man and a woman, damn you Jesus. Maybe the baker is a bigot, but you've just indicted more than half the world for a tradition that has nothing to do with gay people.

When Congress was considering Utah for statehood they told the Mormons polygamy would not be allowed, so they banned it in exchange for statehood. Now here's my problem with that, Congress didn't have the power to define marriage for us - that was not one of their powers. So they used one power they did have - admitting new states - to create a new power violating the 1st Amendment. They established religion (theirs) and violated the Mormon's religious freedom, thats doing an end run around the Constitution.

And Congress does that on other issues, like their drug war. They threatened to with hold infrastructure funds if the locals went soft on pot, even 'conservatives' like drug czar Bill Bennett (or was it Paul Weyrich) were trumpeting how they got Alaskans to reverse course on pot legalization. This was a small time baker and not an employee of a company, I doubt he was incorporated but it wouldn't matter.

Oh, you're not a fool... Maybe you've stumbled upon the true insight for gravity, Newton sitting on the can.

Who else is on your list of Americans who cant protest?

Azem.Ocram likes this.
  11. timtofly

timtofly One Day

Jesus would have provided the cake for free, but would have provided his own decorations, instead of what they asked for.

12. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Deity

Thanks for trying, but I don't value your opinion enough to take the compliment. I was actually complimenting Hygro and not talking to you with that post.

13. Patine

Patine Deity

Now there's a good childish, uninformed, immature, sheep-chorus, Bill O'Reilly, Rush Limbaugh, Glen Beck, or Ann Coulter-chant-led comment. A great contribution to a reasonably heady conversation.:crazyeye:

14. Synsensa

Synsensa Deity Retired Moderator

Thanks!

El_Machinae likes this.
  15. Farm Boy

Farm Boy You gave me my own tail?

The best preacher I've ever known, retired in obsurity in the middle of nowhere, would have, and literally did say "be kind anyways." I wish I could remember more of his his last regular sermon, delivered in the wake of the massacre of fellow Methodists in Charlottesville in a podunk in Northwestern IL, attended by 50 souls. I was too busy crying at how woke I was not to retain it well. He didn't even come off as anything special unless you sat down with him for a good long while.

It's really hard to do. I'm embarassingly bad at it for closing in on 40, myself. I can, in hindsight, give myself more leeway when I was 25. I was literally so much stupider, so much more enamored with The Rut.

16. Broken_Erika

Broken_Erika Nothing

I prefer random words. Pickles doorhinge goat extruder!

Azem.Ocram likes this.
  17. Farm Boy

Farm Boy You gave me my own tail?

18. Hygro

Tickles orange vulcan scooter

Azem.Ocram likes this.
  19. Berzerker

Berzerker Deity

If Hygro is the wise man and my words the enlightening sound of splashing water what does that leave you?

zxcvbob likes this.
  20. Hygro

an overdeveloped metaphor :p