1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Balance Feedback

Discussion in 'Rise from Erebus Modmod' started by Valkrionn, Jul 31, 2010.

1. Sjru

Sjru Dragon

But this time I suggest to not let them do any kind of terraform.

2. Cromagnum P.I.

Cromagnum P.I. Chieftain

@Torugu: thanks that worked perfectly, they show up in the modules list now. I'll try to actually read the first post of any modules I download from now on to get the proper install methods.

3. Nero-Angelo

Nero-Angelo Chieftain

I recently thought about the impact of changing the palaces benefits.
    Some Civ's would profit very nicely from a lil' bit of :food:, :health: and extra :) (Archos f.e.)
    But even without these special cases, it seems to fit the role of THE city of the empire this way (since the AI won't change it at all).
    This should also help the AI for a slightly earlier spreading.

edit: Aw, wrong thread ._.

4. dunedainjedi

dunedainjedi Warlord

Are Austrian Tracker supposed to not be able to upgrade into Beastmasters? Because the fact that they can't is pretty dumb. It's a recon civ with little incentive to get the last recon tech. Seems wrong.

5. isthmus

isthmus Warlord

Think this was deliberate... apparently the austrin recon isn't the animal-capturing type - more like explorers instead, so their recon line..and most of the other ones, actually.. have a different upgrade path.
    I believe that trackers can upgrade into their longbowman UU, and their melee line can upgrade into the recon line too. Rogues (scout UU) can upgrade into the mounted line as well.

It's all a bit mixed up compared to what's usual in other civs, and does mean you have to do a lot of dipping into lots of different tech lines. At least it's not as bad as the scions have it with regards to that. :)

Still, I don't think the austrin have any tier 4 unit they can upgrade to, it seems they all have to be built. Is this intended? Would've thought the trackers/recurve archers could at least upgrade to the windsword UU or some new UU that's a archer/recon hybrid.

6. Valkrionn

Valkrionn The Hamster King

Could possibly be added; Hybrids may be easier to add soon. ;)

7. dunedainjedi

dunedainjedi Warlord

Alright, since I brought it up, I'll toss out some thoughts on it.

First a Beastmaster UU that more geared towards grabbing cities would be cool. It gives me a reason to grab Subdue Beasts other than wanting my own personal giant apes. Second, since the Austrian upgrade is a cluster f--k of crossings between archery, melee, and recon, why not let trackers upgrade into windswords and then immortals? I don't see any real reason to not let the recon units go melee considering that most of the non recon UUs are in the melee line.

Also, I'm not sure if the RIFE team has any religions planned, but one for follows of Tali would be pretty cool. I ended up not adopting a religion in my last game because in the first 100 turns the only one founded was FOL, and I felt like non of the religions fight the Austrian vibe.

And finally, amphibious champion pegasus rushes are the greatest thing ever. Amurites: He's massing troops on the other side of the channel, but he doesn't have sailing, we should be fine. Two turns later that war was over. :D

One last note, why exactly does the AI never found new cities. 150 turns into my lastest game(on quick) the Bannor is the only AI that has more than one city.

8. Torugu

Torugu Prince

The Followers of Tali are to restless to do more than build small shrines in the most remote edges of the world, they don't even have priest much less a formal religion.

9. azzedar

azzedar Warlord

nevertheless there are surely followers. and besides, ffh needs another neutral religion.
    remote edges of the world? did someone just say austrin?
    small shrines? theres a building called 'well', i dont think thats such a big problem! just dont make it as massive as the other temples in bonus and production costs.
    creating a concept that reflects that desorganization and a lack of a priesthood - would be a design challenge. anyone interested? :D
    i would do my best to help with ideas.

10. Torugu

Torugu Prince

Remote as in at the peak of the highest mountains, not inside a settlement. Even the most distant Austrin settlement is still a very lively place. So no temples.
    No normal religion so no adopting as state religion either.
    No priests as in no disciple units so no actively spreading the religion.
    Tali is an extremely fickle god, even more so then Camulos whose mana is chaos, so I can't really see him sending any religious units to his supporters either.
    Even introducing "Taliism" as a cult (similar to the Cult of Dragons) would be quite a stretch and I don't think that'd serve our purpose.

I agree that there is a need for another neutral religion and just like you Tali was the first god who came to mind, that's why I looked up his lore. Turned out there's no god who'd be less fitting for a new religion.

11. Valkrionn

Wait for Airandamar.

12. azzedar

azzedar Warlord

sometimes lore has to bend for the better of gameplay, although
    i dont know enough of ffh lore to judge if any other god was better or not for this purpose. but as i said - it would of course be a difficult thing and a challenge of design.
    can u post the specific parts that made you think hes absolutely not suited for it? id like to follow that thought.

btw, if not for a religion something with tali would definitly do a nice background for an austrin unique unit.

according to your hints airandamar is religion that adopts to your actions. what i think ffh could use next is a mostly ostensibly normal and neutral religion. not everyone one on erebus can be a demonologist, an order-loving pedant, a crazed waterborn wierdo, a treehugger or a cheap dwarflover. there must be something in the mid. not even to mention the white hand either.

13. Fluesterwitz

Fluesterwitz Chieftain

Just an idea, shrines of Tali as fort replacements:
    - Buildable by the last Austrin unit to survive a fight in neutral territory.
    - Culture limited to one tile.
    - No fort commander, but
    - when the shrine is razed, the desecrating unit recieves a "haunted" promotion.
    - If the tile is culture-flipped or enveloped by Austrin culture, the shrine will improve the tile with +1 :food: or such, but will render the tile illegible for other improvements.

"Careful Commandant, those Damnaustrins put wards on these ... oops, I tried to warn you!"
    Corporal Higgs on the occasion of his unceremonious field promotion.

14. Torugu

Torugu Prince

Fairly sure I read it in the FFHLoreCompendium, trying to dig it up now.

For the moment have this post MC made in the Patria thread:

The "daredevil feats and adventures" part sounds like something which could be used as a mechanic for a cult, but it still wouldn't work as a state religion.

15. dunedainjedi

dunedainjedi Warlord

Tali obviously isn't a candidate for an religion structured like Order, AV, FOL, ROK, or OO. But Tali makes way more sense than Esus does. Afterall a true follower of Esus won't admit they follow Esus. Yet you can have it as a state religion. Tali just means not building temples and no priests. There is no reason why it can't be adoptable like Esus and units that follow Tali can get access to certain promos or benefits.

All that said, Esus needs a major buff to be worthwhile.

16. Valkrionn

Also, keep in mind that when guilds are redone we'll likely have a lot of cults.

17. Torugu

Torugu Prince

But Esus has a structure, it's an organization with leaders and subordinates, goals, ambitions etc. It's perfectly plausible for Esus to be a state religion, it just doesn't make any sense for Esus followers to admit that they are doing so. I really like what WM has done with Esus btw.

Definitely looking forward to the guilds.

18. isthmus

isthmus Warlord

It makes sense as an organisation - possibly enhanced by some divine power, but not really as a religion. To be honest I think the only merit it has for being a religion is that there needs to be one to oppose empyrean and the overcouncil.
    I'd rather we had a different evil religion to take esus' place and CoE gets moved to a cult or guild - allowing it to run alongside other religions, although I wouldn't be opposed to it stepping on their toes a bit like they've done in wildmana.

19. Sjru

Sjru Dragon

Not like WM please. Esus on WM had too many drawbacks than pros to tolerate.

20. Swinkscalibur

Swinkscalibur Prince

I believe that Esus will also get looked at and possibly tweaked when guilds are redone. There is a plan for how to handle it.