(Balance) ideas: Please comment

Sure it's more limited in scope and use compared to Fealty & Statecraft which have widely useful bonuses, but I'm not sure that's a bad thing. Authority also limits you to a very specific playstyle: you're going to lose if you aren't constantly fighting. I'd even argue it's more limiting than Artistry.

I'm not saying we shouldn't touch artistry, but I don't think it's as limited in scope as you think it is. Even if it is more limiting compared to the other medieval trees, I'm also not sure that's necessarily a bad thing. To me, it has its clear use, and it's powerful but not broken. Having its drawbacks is probably a good thing too, otherwise civs it synergizes well with would get overpowered.
I think that Artistry has a wider scope of usefulness than Fealty does. Golden Ages give a great boost to culture and production. Culture and production are less niche that food and faith are.

Culture and production are less niche that food and faith

In a vacuum this makes sense.

Artistry has a wider scope of usefulness than Fealty does

I don't believe this follows from your observation about the general usefulness of yields. :c5culture: and :c5production: are very powerful, but as Artistry lacks any infrastructure support whatsoever it needs your empire to have crossed a certain threshold of :c5production: and :c5greatperson: generation combined with civ choice and/or a powerful religion to become useful at all, otherwise it guarantees you will fall behind. So it is a win more tree for (in most cases) a culture heavy civ to ensure the CV. It can't help you catch up, it does not add new mechanics or freedom it's just prioritizing :c5culture: to get more :c5culture:.

@CrazyG How often do you see yourself picking Artistry, and what is your reasoning when you do?

@CrazyG How often do you see yourself picking Artistry, and what is your reasoning when you do?
I pick roughly Artistry 40% of the time, Statecraft 40%, Fealty 20%

I did an analysis for a specific game here, the fourth post down. Fealty has been buffed since then, but a lot of it holds true still.
https://forums.civfanatics.com/thre...i-the-celts-new-players-welcome.636685/page-6

It depends on your exact situation, but Artistry can have great production. It will almost always have the strongest culture, it has great science.

After the Golden Age change, I think Artistry is much stronger if you play a Golden Age strategy. Before, I can get really consistent perma GA without Artistry, but now it will be impossible without Artistry.

Top Bottom