Balanced Units

Balanced Units 1.04

rian222

Chieftain
Balanced Units - Balances cavalry, heavy cavalry, and air units by tweaking combat strength and production costs.

The purpose of this mod is very simple: To nerf units that are overpowered and overused and buff units that are underpowered and underused. The chief culprits are cavalry and heavy-cavalry units(too strong), and all air units(too weak for the time they take to build). Changes are posted below. Please make sure to post here or at least PM me any feedback that you have, I would love to make it better. This is also the first version of this mod, I plan to release regular updates based on the feedback I receive. Thanks for downloading!

Instructions
1. Unzip the file to C://Users/Username/Documents/My Games/Sid Meier's Civilization VI/Mods
2. Startup the game, click on 'Additional Content' at the main menu, and ensure that 'Balanced Units' is enabled.
3. Enjoy!

Changes

Land Unit Changes:

Heavy Chariot combat strength lowered to 25 from 28, production cost raised to 70 from 65.
Horseman combat strength lowered to 30 from 35, production cost raised to 90 from 80.
Knight combat strength lowered to 40 from 48, production cost raised to 200 from 180.
Calvary combat strength lowered to 60 from 62, production cost raised to 350 from 330.
Tank combat strength lowered to 70 from 80, production cost raised to 500 from 480.
Helicopter combat strength lowered to 75 from 82, production cost raised to 620 from 600.
Modern Armor combat strength lowered to 85 from 90, production cost raised to 700 from 680.

Air Unit and District Changes:
Aerodrome district no longer scales in production cost with techs/civics researched. Now is a flat cost of 500.
Aerodrome district Air Slots raised to 5 from 4.
Aircraft Carrier air slots raised to 4 from 2.
Biplane combat strength raised to 65 from 60, production cost lowered to 400 from 430.
Bomber combat strength raised to 75 from 65, production cost lowered to 500 from 540.
Jet Bomber combat strength increased to 85 from 78, range increased to 20 from 15, and production cost lowered to 620 from 680.
Using a WMD now gives double the amount of war weariness.

Unique Unit Changes:
War-Cart base movement lowered to 2 from 3, production cost raised to 60 from 55.
Mamluk combat strength lowered to 40 from 48, production cost raised to 200 from 180.
Cossack combat strength lowered to 60 from 67, production cost raised to 350 from 340.
Conquistadors can now found cities.

Leader Abilities:
Tomyris's units now can only heal for a maximum of 25 hit points instead of 50 when they eliminate a unit.

***THE FOLLOWING IS NOT IMPLEMENTED YET***
If anyone has any suggestions on how to implement the following changes, that would be greatly appreciated. These currently have me stumped.

Future Changes Planned

Leader Abilities:
All of Phillip II's units now convert cities to his religion upon capture.

Land Unit Changes:
Anti-Cavalry units now apply zone-of-control to cavalry units.
Killing religious units with military units now contributes significant amounts of war weariness.
If you do not posses the required strategic resource(i.e. Niter, Iron) to produce a unit after researching the required tech, the production menu allows you to build the older unit.

Unique Unit Changes:
Berzerker units now gain the same combat strength they would normally lose when wounded. Gain an extra movement point when under 50% health. Other bonuses erased.

Unique Unit Upgrade Paths:
Heavy Chariot->WInged Hussar(replaces Knight)->Tank
Knight->RoughRider->Tank
Swordsman->Samurai->Musketman
Swordsman->Berzerker->Musketman
Musketman->Redocat->Infantry
Musketman->GardeImperiale->Infantry

Last edited:
These are some useful changes!

So how do you want to realize the Unique Upgrade Paths?

These are some useful changes!

So how do you want to realize the Unique Upgrade Paths?

I'm still experimenting with some ideas and asking others who have done similar things. Released a small update that puts Polish Hussars in the upgrade path and buffs conquistadors. Still working on the other UUs.

Does anyone know how to make a simple XML edit included itself in a downloadable mod? Within Leaders_Text.xml in the game folder I find the line:

Code:
<Row Tag="LOC_TRAIT_LEADER_KILLER_OF_CYRUS_DESCRIPTION">
            <Text>All units receive +5 [ICON_Strength] Combat Strength when attacking wounded units. When they eliminate a unit, they heal up to 50 hit points.</Text>
        </Row>

What I want to do is change the description on Tomyris's Killer of Cyrus ability in-game to say that they heal up to 25 hit points. I have already made the changes to them within the game using SQL, but the description still says '50'. It's insanely easy to do on my own computer, all I have to do is change that number to 25 instead of 50 and save it. The solution I have tried that doesn't work is changing the .modinfo file to read:

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<Mod id="a8634fd4-62e4-4789-bbff-e094b46603c1" version="1">
    <Properties>
        <Name>Balanced Units</Name>
        <Teaser>Balances cavalry, anti-cavalry, and air units.</Teaser>
        <Description>Lowers the combat strength of all cavalry and anti-cavalry units while raising production costs.  Raises combat strength of air units, decreases production costs, and raises air slots in Aerodrome district and carriers.  Various adjustments to some unique units.</Description>
        <Authors>Cerkoryn</Authors>
    </Properties>

<!-- Files included -->
    <Files>
        <File>BalancedUnitsCode.sql</File>
        <File>BalancedUnitsText.xml</File>
    </Files>

<!-- Different parts of the mod -->
    <Components>
        <UpdateDatabase id="UnitBalanceChanges">
            <Items>
                <File>BalancedUnitsCode.sql</File>
                <File>BalancedUnitsText.xml</File>
            </Items>
        </UpdateDatabase>
    </Components>
</Mod>

The .sql file makes the changes that work fine. The .xml file I made says this:

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<!-- edited by Cerkoryn as part of the Balanced Units mod. -->
<GameData>
    <BaseGameText>
        <Row>
            <Update>
                <Where Tag="LOC_TRAIT_LEADER_KILLER_OF_CYRUS_DESCRIPTION"/>
                <Set Text="All units receive +5 [ICON_Strength] Combat Strength when attacking wounded units. When they eliminate a unit, they heal up to 25 hit points."/>
            </Update>
        </Row>
    </BaseGameText>
</GameData>

But it still says 50 in game. What am I doing wrong?

I see in your Future Updates section you are looking for help.

In GlobalParameters.xml, there is this:

<Row Name="WAR_WEARINESS_PER_WMD_LAUNCHED" Value="10" />

That should be what you are looking for as far as increased War Weariness when you use a Nuke/Thermonuke.

I see in your Future Updates section you are looking for help.

In GlobalParameters.xml, there is this:

<Row Name="WAR_WEARINESS_PER_WMD_LAUNCHED" Value="10" />

That should be what you are looking for as far as increased War Weariness when you use a Nuke/Thermonuke.
Thanks a bunch! Just implemented it in the latest release :)

Top Bottom