bal's QoL&UI mods and stuff (assign all to project, commander borders, military log etc.)

I tried it some more today and after having flipped PerTurnOnLeft on it seems in large as it was previous; just the way I liked it. The GEM icon previously is the City-connection icon now (showing import, export, luxuries).

Yeah faith buildings is a hard one. I went with one icon for all buildings, mainly because making an icon for each building wasn't something I can do. The old way of showing the atlas icons seems worse because of clipped/cropped textures, and I don't think they are easy to distinguish.
Keeping the 50% to 60% range in orange made sense as a way to warn the player the happiness may drop into dangerous territories, but I might have been biased. I play on king/emperor, so I don't have much problem with keeping it over 60%, but players accustomed to harder difficulties may feel safe enough when it's 50%.
Some changes seem a bit weird at first since they go against years of habits, but when you take an outside look, the default top panel just seems poorly made. The order of icons seems random, GP icons always get cropped, turn counters are very hard to see etc. etc. The changes to resource icons isn't actually done by this mod, they were taken from the latest EUI and integrated to VP-EUI. I agree that red is a bit hard to see, and I'll work on making the icons full circle, they somehow get cropped at sides.
The new luxury icon is actually "trade" icon, but yeah it's almost the same as the city connection one, that's one thing I want to change if I find anything better. The old icon was the one used for Great Merchant and I had to use that for Great Person counters.

Thanks for all the feedback and thoughts!

I didn't use it for very long today I mostly just put it on and tried it out to see if it would work so I didn't really play around with the options. I just had a look of what options were available. But my overall impression was positive. There was I guess just some things that had changed that you sort of get stuck on. So Iguess all that you see is what is different and the thing that I noticed I kept looking at it over and over again cause the gold counter seemed off as the order was reversed. But at the same time perhaps it makes sense since the gold then is displayed as the science and culture with the yield infront of the icon. Perhaps it will just take some getting used to.

I was perhaps even more confused about the colors of the condensed happiness and wondering why it didn't turn green when it went over 50.

I'm not sure about the building really. But it might just be that I'm not used to it, I can't really even say what that building is supposed to be. Are there different buildings for the different "buildings"? Or is it one and the same for all of them and in which case does it become weird if your religion have multiple buildings? But then this probably really comes down to that I never use the autobuild/purchase feature as I prefer to build mine manually. So perhaps someone else should take that question.

But in some regard I think I prefer my faith like my gold just with the income and the icon and the total amount I have. But perhaps mostly cause that is how I'm used to having it now. I only really ever see the icon for the first part of the game as there are still religions to be founded as you can't really turn the prophet icon off as far as I can recall. But after that I just see the numbers.

That said in general I think I'm fine with just the icon and don't need the image; sort of like showing the note for great musician or beaker for scientist etc. They also seem to scale somewhat better then the larger rounder icons.

I did noticed the thing with the strat resources. I like that the number you had was in the icon, it saved some space on the line which was nice. I didn't even notice it on the images above until now that you had a red 1 in the coal. But I saw the green once in my iron and horses. I can't really tell but perhaps the red is a little dark there and was somewhat hard to see. The green was very bright and clear. While the red here seems a bit dim. Perhaps a more bright red is in order as having negative strat resources is a massive issue for your empire and something that you should attend to asap.

Right the * (star) and (gem) icons. I sometimes just forget about them. I don't think I ever really use the * one but I do look at the gem icon that shows all the luxuries quite a lot normally. I didn't think about when I had the game running today but looking at the images above is the gem icon gone or is that now the city-connection icon? Or where do you get the quick overview of what luxuries you have/import/export and who has what?

But overall I liked it I think. I might just be so used to the old one that I never really thought about how the game (or bar) even looks without it anymore. Sort of like how I feel lost now if I can't run with improved city-view. In some regards I think I might have to play around with the options for a bit. I'll take a look and see about that PerTurnOnLeft and see how I like that. I guess it should feel more familiar.

Yeah faith buildings is a hard one. I went with one icon for all buildings, mainly because making an icon for each building wasn't something I can do. The old way of showing the atlas icons seems worse because of clipped/cropped textures, and I don't think they are easy to distinguish.
Keeping the 50% to 60% range in orange made sense as a way to warn the player the happiness may drop into dangerous territories, but I might have been biased. I play on king/emperor, so I don't have much problem with keeping it over 60%, but players accustomed to harder difficulties may feel safe enough when it's 50%.
Some changes seem a bit weird at first since they go against years of habits, but when you take an outside look, the default top panel just seems poorly made. The order of icons seems random, GP icons always get cropped, turn counters are very hard to see etc. etc. The changes to resource icons isn't actually done by this mod, they were taken from the latest EUI and integrated to VP-EUI. I agree that red is a bit hard to see, and I'll work on making the icons full circle, they somehow get cropped at sides.
The new luxury icon is actually "trade" icon, but yeah it's almost the same as the city connection one, that's one thing I want to change if I find anything better. The old icon was the one used for Great Merchant and I had to use that for Great Person counters.

Thanks for all the feedback and thoughts!

Yes. The more you consider it really the more it becomes clear that the default top panel is kind of odd and how it has more or less just tossed all the icons up there and the order might not make a lot of sense. But I guess you just got used to it. Now then corrections or changes to it make it feel odd since you are so used to it after thousands of hours of playing the game.

I looked at the old panel replacement I used ("TopPanel Replace (eui only) (v4)") and for the strat resources it used the same icons, I think, as in the monopoly screen; small square boxes. Perhaps use those instead of the bigger square once if they get cut and mangled (it seems to be flat bottom, flat on the right side but beveled on the top and left sides -- it might be a style or design feature I don't know) but if possible then move the numbers down into the corner inside of the icon as an overlay as that saved about half the space instead of having number and icon next to each other.

WHOWARD'S MILITARY LOG! (all caps because I'm hyped for this)
Spoiler WH Military Log :
View attachment 617107
Last but not least, this modmod introduces a late gem from WHoward, the Military Log, to VP. Any combat event (attack, defense, capture, bombard, intercept etc. etc.) can be viewed through the Military Log screen and clicking on an event will move the map to the event location. Basically, this allows you to replay the lightning-fast on-screen combat notifications that you get with quick combat. I think its psychological impact may even be greater than the practical one, I feel much more at ease with using quick combat since I don't worry about losing information. I made two minor improvements on WHoward's version by making the log screen transparent to get a better view of the map and adding a crossed-swords icon for the pop-up. Big thanks to WHoward for allowing me to repackage his mod with these insignificant changes, and of course for making the mod. Requires VP 1.3 or later.

Limitations:
Currently, the military log data does not persist between saves, i.e. your log will be refreshed with each re-load. Keeping the log intact would require getting into an area of modding (storing data/serialization) which I'm not comfortable with yet, and a poor implementation would carry the risk of save-bloat. I can prioritize this if there's significant demand, but it works just fine this way.
Possible issues:
This was mostly a late-night copy-paste job. There are dozens of combat events, some of which are named differently in WH's DLL and VP's DLL, so it's very possible that I overlooked some of them, in fact, I'm pretty sure I passed over at least one and didn't return, IIRC it was late-game stuff about air warfare or paratroopers. So let me know if you see any event not-logged or logged improperly.
Also, currently, a maximum of 50 events are logged, then the oldest ones are discarded to make room for new events. I think 50 is a pretty safe number, it could even be too much, but I don't play on large maps. I can increase or decrease this depending on feedback.
Special thanks to ilteroi for making sure I didn't break anything
would it be possible to disable the ugly popup that appears when mousing over the notification log icon when using this mod? because between the military log and the notification log this popup is redundant ...

Yeah that's a good idea. I'll probably work towards integrating military log as a tab within the notification log if I have the time.
Big announcement to anyone using Local Generals & Admirals Spawn at the Nearest City - IT HAS BEEN CAUSING CRASHES&FREEZES IN RECENT VERSIONS DO NOT USE IT, REMOVE IF YOU HAVE IT!

Hey, I updated Reworked Top Panel to be compatible with VP 3.0.
The last version has some hidden issues, one of them is you can't hover over Gold info since one of the functions is removed.

Minor Update: Fixed some accidental addition to Resized Icons, it shouldn't include the font icon.

Attachments

• Reworked Top Panel (v 3).zip
    91.4 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
Hey, I updated Reworked Top Panel to be compatible with VP 3.0.
The last version has some hidden issues, one of them is you can't hover over Gold info since one of the functions is removed.

Did the option to flip the income/yield get removed? I kind of liked it when total sum of something was first and then the icon and then the income came afterwards; which was FALSE at the below option. I can live without it but I did like the option. Still the new version appears to be working and not crashing the game horrifically or anything like that.

local PerTurnOnLeft = true -- moves GoldPernTurn and FaithPerTurn to the left of their respective icons, to be consistent with other yields

Last edited:
Did the option to flip the income/yield get removed? I kind of liked it when total sum of something was first and then the icon and then the income came afterwards; which was FALSE at the below option. I can live without it but I did like the option. Still the new version appears to be working and not crashing the game horrifically or anything like that.

local PerTurnOnLeft = true -- moves GoldPernTurn and FaithPerTurn to the left of their respective icons, to be consistent with other yields
I didn't change any options IIRC, just fixed some errors and happiness stuff (which got reworked).
In fact, there isn't any local PerTurnOnLeft = true option on Version 2, and I only updated it based on that version.

I didn't change any options IIRC, just fixed some errors and happiness stuff (which got reworked).
In fact, there isn't any local PerTurnOnLeft = true option on Version 2, and I only updated it based on that version.
My bad. I thought it was the same toppanel as the one that Balp made/fixed and was talked about previously in the thread. Anyhow. This one works to.

A new updated version of Reworked Top Panel added some parts that were added to VP in the last few major updates.

Attachments

• Reworked Top Panel (v 4).zip
    91.6 KB · Views: 23
Another update, now compatible with the VP 3.6, also includes the top panel hotfix.

Attachments

• Reworked Top Panel (v 5).zip
    92.1 KB · Views: 40
Does this need to be updated for 3.9.1?
Yes. But I currently don't have time to go back to modding. So, some of my mods (and those I touched) are not updated. Sorry.

Top Bottom