1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Balseraph History and Culture

Discussion in 'Fall from Heaven Lore' started by thewyrm, Mar 9, 2008.

1. Fenboy

Fenboy Chieftain

"Oops sorry daddy, was that a knife?"

"Oops sorry daddy, was that a banishing spell?"

"Looks like I'm in charge now huh? Yaay!"

2. Mewtarthio

Mewtarthio Chieftain

You don't just stab the most powerful telepath in the world. You convince him that life is boring, and maybe he should let Mister Giggles take him back to his house for a different kind of fun.

3. Nikis-Knight

Nikis-Knight Chieftain

Convince Perpentach of the Balseraphs that his life is... boring?

4. Rex rgis of Ter

Rex rgis of Ter Me I'm a Creator

He is insane.....

"Daddy, life is so dull at the paace. If only you would do something drastic. Maybe you could kil yourself?"

"Child, Pretty Child,
    I love your eloquent words,
    Methinks life is boring
    Mabye I should do something new,
    I wonder how that last dwarf I killed felt,
    Let's find out"

5. Tyrs

Tyrs Chieftain

Hey, crazy doesn't mean stupid you know...or heck even gullible. This is a smart persons, just nuts

6. thewyrm

thewyrm Ambassador to Real Life

Rest assured, Perpentach already knows who is planning to kill him, when, where, what they will be wearing at the time, and if he remembered to feed his goldfish.

No one will ever "get the drop" on Perpentach. Also, and this is my own personal opinion, I don't think Keelyn wants to kill her father. I think she really wants him to love her and tries to make herself interesting and useful to him to be sure she gets his attention. I also think Perp loves her in his own way, but more in the way an owner loves his pet, or a really nice sports car. He would be sad for a little while if she disapeared, but get over it pretty quickly.

For all we know, Perp knew he was going to get the spy pregnant in the first place. I'm sure he has his own crazy plans for his daughter.

7. thewyrm

Rex- I think his response would be more like

Child of mine what an interesting query,
    But some lessons I've already learned.
    Remember my dear that I'm always so weary
    of those I've left broken and spurned.

This gamble you've taken, it's weight you must carry.
    Let us hope that you havn't been burned.
    Some day on my ashes you may dance and be merry,
    But that must be carefully earned.

8. thewyrm

I am going to switch gears a bit and start talking about some of the unique Balseraph units. We should start with the Freak.

Are freaks made or born? Are "freaks" an actual ethnicity who have genetic maladies they pass on to their offspring? Random unwanted genetic mistakes abonded by their mothers for their lack of beauty. Byproducts of selective and twisted genetic experiments on slaves?

I can't imagine the life of a freak is a pleasant one. You get to spend your entire life in chains performing for the fickle delight of others, unless you seem unusually strong or usefull in which case you get to go forth and die for the greater glory of the Balseraph people.

9. xienwolf

xienwolf Chieftain

Well, a Freak has more opportunities than most any other unit in the game though. It has 2 choices for upgrading, and in each path it can upgrade about 3 times to UNIQUE units for the Civ. Pretty nifty actually that all the UUs tie together so well. But for the purposes of this thread, it definitely shows motivation to become a freak for the recognition and upward Mobility. It is like making a good first impression for the Balseraph almost.

10. TheJopa

TheJopa Šumar

I think 'freak' babies would be killed or wouldn't survive long anywhere on Erebus, but in Blaseraphs they are used as attractions and for combat. It's not that they exist ONLY in Balseraphs. Also they'd probably buy freak babies from other civs (illegal trade) and freak pedia entry explains that freaks can be made too :p

11. WhitewolfIV

WhitewolfIV Chieftain

Maybe thats why Perpentach has a weird civilization. To give all the baby "Freaks" in the world a chance to be something, because he himself is a freak. A freak of nature with the ability to read minds and switch bodys and stuff.

He isn't crazy, just misunderstood. . .

12. thewyrm

While I think it is rather cool, what exactly is it that leads an acrobat to give up his job to roam around the countryside scouting and hunting? Acrobats and Harlequins seem more at home in the city, I guess I just don't really understand how they came to be recon units.

I go with the theory that they are just Bards with a different name. Traveling from town to town to learn new tales and secrets. On a totally different tangent, WOTC will not get any money from me as far as D&D 4.0 goes until they re-institute the Bard. My favorite class.

Anyway, anyone else have any ideas about the Balseraph recon line?

13. evanb

evanb Chieftain

Yes -- I think they were only given that name to sound flavourful and civ-appropriate. Though I'm sure one could come up with some sort of in-game coherent explanation :)

14. Mewtarthio

Mewtarthio Chieftain

I've always pictured the Acrobats swinging through the trees and doing dramatic Parkour across the landscape. Which still doesn't explain why they can run through the desert, but meh.

15. thewyrm

Yeah, the Balseraphs have a lot of strengths but subtlety sure aint one of 'em. Thus why they have no Assasins or Shadows. Although, a Courtesan uses a certain type of subtlety for sure.

I can picture a Balseraph Assassin trailing his intended victim now.

16. thewyrm

Curious to get an opinion here. What do y'all percieve the overall personality of Keelyn to be? Some go with spoiled brat, some with cold and calculating. All we know from her 'pedia entry is that she is somewhat clingy to her puppets, but with her childhood I think that would be understandable. Also, is she to blame for her wickedness, or simply a victim of her environment? Sort of the nature vs. nurture debate.

This goes back to previous discussion, but I have decided in my own little version of FFH that Giggles has an actual and genuine affection for Keelyn and serves her not just to fulfil his own agenda, but out of a sense of loyalty and even friendship. Yes, even someone who is evil can understand love and friendship.

Oddly, the longest running and most successful D&D campaign I have ever been a part of is one where I play a Chaotic Evil Bard and my companions are a Nuetral Evil Cleric of Orcus and a Nuetral Evil Necromancer. The three have a genuine affection for each other and have even risked their lives for each other. Go figure.

ps- evil bards are crazy. I have actually turned my own stomach with some of the things my bard has done. Great character though, one of the reasons I took an immediate liking to the Balseraphs.

17. Sofista

Sofista card-carrying

My 2 pences on Balseraph recon units:

Perpentach is perhaps making a parody of everyone else's concept of exploration, sending out oddly-dressed, very very noticeable buffoons to do the job. Imagine a world leader switching his army uniforms from camo to Harlequin's garb.

18. thewyrm

Of course Perpy then gets the last laugh because those buffoons are actually quite good at their jobs. I like it.

19. KillerClowns

KillerClowns Chieftain

I've always imagined her as a bit of both: a brat who wants everything she can get her hands on, but also a genius capable of immense brilliance when it comes to acquiring that which she seeks. She might want a Lanun city just so she can play pirate on a real, live pirate ship, but rest assured that her methods of obtaining that city will be meticulously planned and terrifyingly sane. And it will concern balors. Lots and lots of balors.
    I can see Keelyn being genuine friends with her summons. She's likely a powerful sorceress in mind magic as well as summoning magic, and would probably taint those she summoned with her own childish insanity, slowly converting once-fierce balors into quaint teddy bears willing to play tea party... until, that is, something needed to be killed.

20. thewyrm

Reading that line actually made me grin ear to ear. LOL! What a great way to describe her!