1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Balseraph History and Culture

Discussion in 'Fall from Heaven Lore' started by thewyrm, Mar 9, 2008.

1. Nikis-Knight

Nikis-Knight Chieftain

Well... everyone he met sure seems outrageous to me, living in a city of a thriving empire, that would be some thousands before he even meets Kylorin. So I'd posit either something like I said before (which might contradict his entry, I don't remember how it is worded) or else people that he meets that aren't meaningful are there but in a background sort of way, whereas people he expects to have some contact with his mind brings regularly to the forefront of his consciousness.

2. xienwolf

xienwolf Chieftain

[ ( Power of the Individual ) * ( Contact Time ) ] ^ ( Emotional Link between the two )

There, that means that certain people are VERY prominent, because they were strong, and there were bonds of hatred, even though only around them briefly (a battle). Others are quite prominent because he spent a great deal of time with them (Parents, coupled with at least a 1 way bond of love/fear). While most people are quite a fleeting encounter, with almost no personal power, and about whom Perp couldn't care less. Thus while he might retain them, he retains it about as well as you retain the knowledge of which shirt you wore on the second Monday of last month.

3. KillerClowns

KillerClowns Chieftain

So the din of Perpentach's mind mostly consists of a handful of powerful voices giving advice, set to a background of constant chatter by untold legions of people. Like constantly being in a crowd, even when you're alone... but worse, because you're the center of attention
    I doubt Perentach gets much sleep.

4. thewyrm

thewyrm Ambassador to Real Life

Man that would be awful. So do the other voices ever "take control" or do they just offer advice? Or, does he feel a compulsion to do what the voices tell him or does he have the coherence to know what is is own thoughts and those of his echoes?

5. MagisterCultuum

MagisterCultuum Great Sage

I don't think they can take control but they can really confuse him, sometimes tricking him into doing things. He used to try to suppress them (which he was never good at without Kyorlin's help) but he has pretty much given up on that.

6. xienwolf

xienwolf Chieftain

And never forget that quite a few (probably most) of the voices do NOT like Perpentach. So it isn't like being in a party and having some friends try to advise you. It is like being in a Moshpit, strapped to the floor.

And of course, many of the voices don't like EACH OTHER, so when they get bored with pestering Perp, they pick on one another instead.

7. Mewtarthio

Mewtarthio Chieftain

I imagine that's the reason he chose the carnival theme. He'd grown up mostly isolated, either as a lonely child or studying with Kylorin, so he'd have had little to distract him from the constant chatter save for Kylorin's training. When he acquired the Momo's mind, however, he'd have learned about the circus: A constant cacophony of endless distractions, a loud noise that could even drown out the sound of his own mind. That may well have been the most distracting thing he could think of at the time (save for an all-out war, at least), and once he got his theme going, every other mind he touched merely reinforced his beliefs. That's also probably the real reason behind his apparently random actions: He wants to keep things fresh and new, because if the circus ever bores him, he'll be forced to confront the voices in his mind.

I'm not sure how he goes about sleeping. I imagine he's already used his mind magic to limit the amount of sleep he actually needs (sleep is, after all, primarily a psychological drive to conserve energy when you shouldn't be active anyway). Perhaps he just keeps himself awake for days on end, then eventually goes to a party and passes out, resting while the crowd continues to rave above him.

8. MagisterCultuum

I thought is was generally agreed that sleep has more to do with the brain organizing the information acquired during the waking hours (reinforcing some synapses and weakening other, so as to facilitate learning) than simply saving bodily energy. It sounds like something he would need a lot of, although I'm not sure how much it could help in such an extreme case.

9. thewyrm

Maybe he simply keeps his host body awake and active until it eventually gives out on him and he switches to a new host?

10. loocas

loocas Chieftain

Well put! That's a great way to describe him.

Hence the jester getup. All jesters have been the same person throughout time, so to speak, so he paints the new body and there's no difference from the last.

11. Mewtarthio

Mewtarthio Chieftain

It's a little of both, actually. Creatures that are awake for much longer than they need to be tend to wander off and get eaten, plus there's no need to be more active if you're already perfectly capable of surviving long enough to mate, so there's an evolutionary benefit to staying in bed even when you don't physically need more sleep. Hence why you can stay up late studying while drinking coffee without suffering as much as if you'd decided to skip dinner.

12. MagisterCultuum

Well, I said "more," not only.

I disagree about the last part. The effects of deprivation may be more less obvious (at first), but sleep is often more important than eating. Humans can go 40 days with no food without lasting adverse effects (once when I was quite young my dad fasted for 40 days eating nothing and drinking nothing but water, and even went jogging frequently during this period, and he is fine. He did it again about 4 years ago, but that time used had meal replacement drinks.), but the record for staying awake is 11 days. Sleep deprivation has serious health risks (both mental and physical), while near-starvation has been shown to increase longevity.

13. ÆNEAS

ÆNEAS Chieftain

I think the 'sleep as preservation' theory has too many holes in it. Top predators likes bears and large cats sleep the most, but they don't have anything higher than them on the food chain. In theory, they would sleep less than other organism. Also, a sleeping animal is unaware of its surroundings and can more easily be surprised and eaten (not so much for animals that dwell in caves or other things, but many animals just sleep in the open or in the ocean).

I remember from when I visisted the navy's dolphin training program that their dolphins had an extra 10 or so year lifespan over wild dolphins. They had determined that the dolphins were able to sleep better in captivity (dolphins have extremely abnormal sleep patterns - they sleep only half their brain at a time) and this was the primary cause of their increased lifespans, since sleep is so important to the brain and other bodily functions. Dolphins aren't humans but the affects of sleep should be similar. It has been shown with humans too that getting a certain amount of good sleep is vital for the brain and that human lifespans are also affected by sleep patterns. Of course, one could argue that this grew out of originally merely the need for preservation.

14. Mewtarthio

Mewtarthio Chieftain

Meh, on second thought, it seems I've got no clue what I'm talking about. Sorry for the derailment.

15. ÆNEAS

ÆNEAS Chieftain

Ah, I didn't mean it like that. I'm sorry if I came off sounding harsh or adversarial. The preservation theory is a legit theory, you do know what you are talking about. I just disagree with it.

16. Mewtarthio

Mewtarthio Chieftain

Well, it's still a derailment. I mean, here we are, arguing about whether or not an insane telepathic clown who learned magic from the First Mage needs as much sleep as normal people. :rolleyes:

17. thewyrm

If I wanted to play Devil's advocate and offer a contrary hypothesis I would say it could be that he loves sleep because that is the only time his brain belongs completely to himself.

18. KillerClowns

KillerClowns Chieftain

I actually have a rather interesting image of Perpentach's nights that I think I'll write down in story format.

It was always those nights Minister Koun dreaded the most. During the daylight hours, Perpentach was horrifying enough. But come these nights, and the mad king would suddenly become much more serious.
    It was rare Perpentach needed sleep; a horrfiying mixture of herbs, mind magic, and possibly worse kept Perpentach awake for weeks on end. But even he needed to sleep sometimes.
    Perpentach laid on his bed, looking more like a tragic clown then a mad jester. No words were spoken, no rhymes were exchanged. Perpentach nodded. Koun chained his king to his bed; one chain around each limb, and one around the waist. Then Perpentach closed his eyes. For a brief moment, he looked peaceful... then he screamed.
    He began gibbering. Fragments of his words were understandable... "mommy, where are you?" "I'll kill you myself, ya Agares-damned clown!" "Please, just let me die!" Most of it was nonsense, countless voices trying to have their say. And Perpentach's body thrashed about this whole time, straining the chains with the strength of one who does not feel pain. "One of his better nights," Koun thought.
    But then Perpentach's body lay still. Then the king spoke softly. "Dear Koun, my sleep is done. Let me free, let's have some fun!" But Koun did not move. He kept a careful eye on the king. "My dear Koun, do as I say. If you do not, you shall pay." Again, Koun ignored Perpentach. "Let me loose this instant," Perpentach screamed, "or you will suffer beyond all comprehension!" Koun smiled slightly. "You need to work on your poetry," Koun said to whatever mind had tried to take over Perpentach's body while he slept. And then he sighed. This was going to be a long night...

19. Sofista

Sofista card-carrying

A really, really nice fragment KC.

20. evanb

evanb Chieftain

Perpentach and his ability remind me of Alia Atreides sooo much...