Balseraph History and Culture

That was really cool KC!

That was really cool KC!

A really, really nice fragment KC.

Thank you. I feel like the little guy in this smiley: :pat:

But, anyways. What do you make of Perpentach's inner court? I imagine many of his court members would be quick-thinking but stable hedonists, seeking not power (such aspirations would be lethal with a telepathic, murderous jester) but merely hoping to enjoy the pleasures of this world by serving their king well enough to be rewarded. But they might be truly loyal to him in a perverse way. After all, Perpentach knows their darkest desires, and he can deliver them. Who wouldn't be loyal to a man who, despite his instability, has the power to make your wildest dreams come true, if you make it worth his time? I've always seen the Balseraphs as a nation of hedonism as much as of madness.

Oh I have no doubt hedonism is the national pastime for the Balseraph. Even slaves born and raised in [Balseria?] must have their own festivals to celebrate the pleasures of the flesh before their short lives are wasted.

I need some ideas for Balseraph holidays or festivals for my own D&D game I plan to run when 4th Ed finally comes out.

Perpentach's birthday (clebrated haphazardly, sometimes twice a month)

The Forum (An annual festival where the major playwrites present their latest tales for the stage, Perpy chooses a winner who then may choose a single actor from each of the other production companies to join their company. Entertainment being the major driving force in this society having more of the most popular actors under your control is a huge deal.)

Fool's Day- (the first day of spring, much like our own April Fools Day except much more mean spirited and the pranks tend to go way too far.)

ÆNEAS;6824850 said:
It has been shown with humans too that getting a certain amount of good sleep is vital for the brain and that human lifespans are also affected by sleep patterns.

So the question is, do you want to be awake for 20% longer now, when you are young. Or do you want to spend more years as a senile old lump of meat?

That was a cool entry KillerClowns, if I had a place for it Id definitly put it in (with a name changed, Koun is actually a Grigori minister). If you feel inspired to do any more FfH inspired writing you should definitly post it.

KillerClowns, that entry was awesome! there are a lot of blank pedia entries that im sure you could bring to life also. i think it could be used for the domination spell. perhaps as giving some of the negative effects if used too often?

I really dig the idea of the mimic unit. It adds a cool unique touch to the martial class of the Balseraph. The best Balseraph warriors are the Gladiators who adapt to any situation and learn by studying their opponants in the arena. This helps them maintain the adoration of the crowd. I have often wished there was a way to reward units who survive several attempts at the arena with unique promotions, but it would just encourage re-loading.

In Art of War: Rome (exact title I forget) those who survive the arena have extra hit points and the ability to hide in plain sight. Might be better for D&D than civ but still interesting.

. . . also note that those gypsy wagons are basically smuggling / prostitution networks. The revelers do quite well as organized crime.

Haha! Thanks evenb, THATS who Perpentach reminded me of! Ahah!

Wondering about Keelyn's entry: it mentions that some Balseraph councilors had met together to see which of Perpentach's decrees they had to carry out and which they could subvert. Does this perhaps indicate a bunch of rational and compassionate men near the top rank of Balseraph society, trying to keep down the madness as much as they can? Or are their subversions self-serving, each trying to gain power and wealth for themselves at each opportunity?

Wondering about Keelyn's entry: it mentions that some Balseraph councilors had met together to see which of Perpentach's decrees they had to carry out and which they could subvert. Does this perhaps indicate a bunch of rational and compassionate men near the top rank of Balseraph society, trying to keep down the madness as much as they can? Or are their subversions self-serving, each trying to gain power and wealth for themselves at each opportunity?
Given the setting, the latter explanation is probably closer to the truth, I'm guessing. Not a whole lot of selflessness in Erebus...

I would be shocked if the Balseraph "nobility" were not totally self serving in their thoughts and deeds. Their culture just does not encourage altruism.

As I read it, they're just trying to avert anything particularly disasterous. For instance, if Perpentach one day decides that the advancing Bannor army should have a party thrown in their honor, and the gates of all border cities opened to let them in, they might poison the wine. If he demands an entire castle carved out of ice, they might comission a scale model of a castle and hope that the workmanship alone is enough to sate him.

Yes, that's the picture I at least want to get. Balseraphia might be depraved, but Perpentach, as far as I can tell, is the only one actually insane. So were there need I could see a few upper-level courtiers trying as best they can behind the scenes to rig the country out for their, and hence everybody else's, survival and even comfort. Keelyn of course throws a wrench in all this, so I doubt it happens as often as they would like, but even then, the society has to have some way to keep running. Witness also the comments of the advisors when Perpentach releases B. Bawl.

While Perpy's advisers may not be insane by Balseraph standards, that isn't to say that if removed from that circumstance and placed within the social clime of our society they wouldn't be mad as a hatter. Almost everything in life is determined by perspective.

Exactly. Rational, more or less; compassionate? Very very rarely. (But every civ has it's exceptions.)

Well, I'm sure there are a lot of compassionate Elohim. Ethne strikes me as the kind of girl who wouldn't ever sacrifice a life even if it served the greater good.

Also, I would assume some days Perpy might just pardon everyone in his dungeon just for a laugh. Or maybe punish someone by taking their life one day, but someone else commits the same crime tommorrow and he may just get a slap on the wrist.

Or he might randomly change punishments for crime, say, for instance, five people steal loves of bread on the same day. The first gets his hand cut off, the second is painted blue and green and made to plant corn on roofs and let go, the third is made a governor of a new colony, the fourth is pardoned, and the fifth is mauled by wild lepers.

Top Bottom