1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Balseraph History and Culture

Discussion in 'Fall from Heaven Lore' started by thewyrm, Mar 9, 2008.

1. thomas.berubeg

thomas.berubeg Wandering the World

Wilde Lepers?

2. Darksaber1

Darksaber1 Secret Emperor

Jyst a thought that Perpentach might have.

3. Nikis-Knight

Nikis-Knight Chieftain

I'm sorry, I thought we were specifically talking about Balseraph advisors.

4. MagisterCultuum

MagisterCultuum Great Sage

I'm note really sure where the Ethne/Elohim reference ca0em from either.

I'd expect that punishments for stealing bread might also include being baked into bread, being forced to eat bread until your stomach burst, having your home replaced by a giant gingerbread house, and being given a cake which you later are told you're children had been baked into (which may or may not be true. If false, you might be told before you ate it.)

5. Darksaber1

@ Magister Cultuum: Even Better!

6. thewyrm

thewyrm Ambassador to Real Life

My mistake! I just misread your post to imply Erebus as a whole.

A lot of this conversation begs the question of just how much influence Perp has on such mundane matters as a bread thief? Does he really have his hand in every decision made or does he leave things like that up to his advisers?

7. Nikis-Knight

Nikis-Knight Chieftain

No prob.
    What matters Perp deigns to take a personal hand in probably depends on the age & size of his empire. Later he couldn't have a hand in every suchmatter, but unlike others who would probably be consistent with what was delegated and to who, you can never be sure with him.

8. Darksaber1

Well, I see him as beging a bit of a micro-manager, atleast, when it suits him.

9. Darksaber1

Okay, I just got an event which had companits filed against my minister of agriculture, saying she was painting cows and planting corn on roof tops, with the Baleraph option beging to fire the conmaliants and say the minister was the onlyone doing it right.

10. Crazy_Ivan

Crazy_Ivan Chieftain

I imagine that just how closely Perp micros his empire relates to just which voices have his mental ear at the moment. Since (I believe, from his bio) he has the potential to be in multiple places at once, he could easily inhabit the minds of all of his governors and lords and oversee his empire. Wether he wants to or not depends on how he feels.

As for how he structures the voices, It seems that it would be abit like the mentalscapes from psychonauts, with a new person being added to the sea of people in his mental kingdom each time he intrudes into a mind. I reason this because in his bio, it says he sent Old Akyrlon (cant remember/spell the name) to the farthest edges of his mind and created a kingdom of the psyches.

As for if/when he sleeps, I think KC's story fragment illustrates it best.

11. thewyrm

KC's story thread brought up some interesting thoughts on religion. What do you guys see as the everyday role of religion in Balseraph lands? I'd especially love to hear MC expand on his statement of Balseraph Mammon worship.

12. Perkin Warbeck

Perkin Warbeck Chieftain

What would a balseraph ambassador look like and act like? Would he be dressed as a clown or would he appear normal? Considering theirs is the nation that's the most culturally seductive how would such ambassadors show this?

13. Nikis-Knight

Nikis-Knight Chieftain

Probably very elaborate versions of their host country's fine dress, in bright, unusual colors. They would have polite but exaggerated mannerisms and strange character quirks that grew over time. Always including a rhyming couplet at the end of their speeches at first, until ultimately they are only speaking verses from famous plays in sing-song voices. Then they will be recalled, a new ambassador sent with apologies for his predecessor's behavior, and the cycle will begin again with a new bizzare quirk.

Just a thought.

14. A_Hamster

A_Hamster Small Furry Animal

It would vary widely I think. If the Balseraphs don't think they have much chance of success of getting concessions from the host country, they would probably send a clownish ambassador. Just serious enough so as not to be thrown out immediately, but lots of subtle mockery in terms of attire and manners. For example, if the Bannor wear dark colored clothing in a conservative cut (like the Puritans did in the early American Colonial period), the Balseraph ambassador would wear a similar cut of clothing, but the inner linings of coat, cloak, and the vest would be brightly colored fabric. Initially, the attire and behavior should be similar enough to what the hosts consider proper that they might think the ambassador is making a sincere attempt at diplomacy, but doesn't quite "get" the culture he is visiting. As time passes, the deliberate parody of the host nation would become more and more obvious, until only the most naive nation (*Koff* Elohim *Koff*) would continue to give the ambassador the benefit of the doubt.

Now if the Balseraphs have some hope of winning the host country over, then they'd take a politer approach, but one that shows that Balseraph culture is superior and it is to the host's advantage to trade or ally with them. The ambassador would probably wear whatever is currently in fashion in Jubilee, but modify his/her manners to whatever the hosts find polite. The ambassador would slowly introduce bits of Balseraph culture to the host country, through conversation or parties that the ambassador throws at the embassy, always placing emphasis on the novel and exotic. The ambassador would have to always keep his audience "hungry": give them enough taste of Balseraph entertainments to keep them wanting more, but not enough to sate them or scare them off (in the case of the more ... unusual ... Balseraph vices).

Incidentally, Your Grace, how goes your pursuit of the English throne? ;)

15. thewyrm

Would not Perp just split his mind amongst all his ambassadors and play with foreign leaders himself?

If not then he sends what will cause the most chaos. Stuffy Bannor? He sends his most beautiful courtesan. Faithless Grigori? A snakeoil salesman evangelist. Proud Calabim? A freed slave.

Or he just sends skilled bureaucrats who are good at their jobs, then laughs as he watches his suspicious enemies try to determine if they are really what they seem.

16. Perkin Warbeck

Perkin Warbeck Chieftain

I'd agree with that- I was thinking about how they'd show the rest of Erebus what was best about their culture. It's only because Its one way I feel the cultural shifts are done- I know it's also about who has the most temples, carnivals and theatres, yet human cages attract others too if you think about it! Many of the Balseraph cultural buildings aren't exactly the sort of thing you can imagine the Bannor would go for (why is it we always pick on them by the way?) Also has anyone given thought to what it is gypsy wagons do that reduces culture? Try not to just slate gypises when you reply mind.

You have to be the first person to know who he is, I take my hat off to you sir. He's my all time fave person from history and just goes to show what a lot of good a bad element can cause. :bowdown: :king:

17. Pyr0mancer

Pyr0mancer Chieftain

Well if I recall correctly Gypsy Wagons don't simply reduce culture, they reduce the city owner's culture while increasing the Balseraph culture in the same city. So it isn't so much that they reduce culture so much as change it or perhaps subvert it.

18. Perkin Warbeck

Perkin Warbeck Chieftain

Perhaps it's because people watch the freak shows and start to like it. Just a little taste of what in store when the real circus comes to town.
    The wagon reduces the culture by one, gives you +1:gold: and also -1:gp: I was just wondering what it is they are doing to cause off of this. The money- do we think they are stealing or charging admission fees? I buy the subverting the culture idea, I'm curious about the great person reduction too.

19. xienwolf

xienwolf Chieftain

20. Blackmantle

Blackmantle Chieftain

Or they are called thewyrm lurking around the lore part of these forums and are trying explaining to / decive us on how the other balseraph ambasadors whould be like. :p ;)

Fun thing that Perkin Warbeck asked the question what an Balseraph ambassador whould look like with the one posting right before him asking said question just beeing such one addmitedly and on free will. Just look at his title. ;)