Band-Specific "Rock Band"s

As most of you know, last year, Harmonix made "The Beatles: Rock Band", a music videogame specific to the Beatles (only Beatles music, characters, videos, locations, etc.). In a few days, Harmonix will release "Green Day: Rock Band", a similar game made of Green Day. I would like to know

1. Was making "The Beatles: Rock Band" a good idea?
2. Was making "Green Day: Rock Band" a good idea?
3. Should Harmonix, or any other company, consider making band-specific "Rock Band"s of different bands? If so, which? (This can be because it would be good for Harmonix or simply because you would like to see it happen)
4. How do you think this will affect these bands' reputations, etc., if at all.

Thanks.

1. can't go wrong with that
2. meh, not the right person to ask taht. it is if it sells I suppose.
3. if they make one for Duran Duran or Spandau Ballet or The Style Council I will buy it, that's all I'm saying. pretty good way of making niche-market products with little effort if you ask me.
4. not at all. people who play these games will be happy. the rest won't even notice.

There are those that say the Rock Band/Guitar Hero series causes kids to waste their time on fake instruments as opposed to learning the real thing; but I disagree. I think there will be kids who are inspired by the games to try real instruments.
I think these games also promote some really good bands to kids who may have not been aware of this music without the game. I have a 12 year old cousin who has Rock Band and Beatles Rock Band. It's great to see him exposed to some good music, as opposed to some of the terrible music out there.

I like Beatles rock band, but I'm fairly indifferent to Green Day. I think Guitar Hero has a specific game for Metallica and Aerosmith, who I am also indifferent towards except for a couple songs. If they were to make a Rock Band: Led Zeppelin I would be excited.

The Beatles: Rock Band is a brilliant game.

These games aren't really substitutes for playing music - they're substitutes for listening to music in a passive way. No-one complains that someone listening to a CD isn't getting out there and playing music for themselves, so I'm not sure why they complain that someone playing a music game isn't getting out there and playing music for themselves.

Anyway, this thread really belongs in Other Games.

Moderator Action: Thread moved.

3. Should Harmonix, or any other company, consider making band-specific "Rock Band"s of different bands? If so, which? (This can be because it would be good for Harmonix or simply because you would like to see it happen)
Thanks.

1. Very good idea, and it's a very well made game, not just for the songs themselves, but for the visuals, particularly the intro and during Sgt. Pepper. Gave me a renewed love of the Beatles.
2. I'm not as much a fan and I'm not going to buy it, so I can't comment.
3. I much rather the games that have various artists on them, and not just a single band. I'm not saying I'm opposed to games based around a single band (especially not when as well made as Beatles), I just prefer having songs from different bands. I would not be opposed to an Oasis Rock Band, mind
4. From my own experience, very little and at most just reinvigorating old fans.

The Beatles Rockband is awesome, I just wish they didn't have MORE DLC songs for it >.> Would also be nice if you could import the songs into regular rockband.

Only Green Day song I've listened too is American Idiot so I don't really care about it.

bands that are good enough (and suitable) to deserve their own rockband:
- the who
- led zep
- iron maiden
- black sabbath

the beatles were a good choice, as were metallica and aerosmith for GH.

EDIT: i would say CoB, but the guitar would be far too difficult, even on the easiest setting.

The Beatles Rock Band was awesome!

The bands Tycoonist mentioned are equally good options.

I'm not really gonna care about these Band Rock Band games again until they release a Grateful Dead Rock Band though...

As most of you know, last year, Harmonix made "The Beatles: Rock Band", a music videogame specific to the Beatles (only Beatles music, characters, videos, locations, etc.). In a few days, Harmonix will release "Green Day: Rock Band", a similar game made of Green Day. I would like to know

Yes.
Yes.
Muse
Positively.

Thanks.

5char

TBRB was awesome. But honestly I've never even heard of the band Green day. Do it on more famous bands like The Rolling Stones.

Green Day are really, really big. I know this because even I have heard of them, and I'm not American.

I'm sure their game will be good. They're well suited to the game. Of course the Stones would be amazing, but I suspect that the Beatles one will be the only one to feature such an iconic band. And after the Beatles, the only way is down, which means any band-specific game is going to be a bit of an anti-climax, no matter who it is.

"Weird" Al... FTW!

They need to make a Nickelback Rockband.

You've got to be kidding me. Nickelback is awful, and the Beatles are the most popular band ever.

Top Bottom