Banning books is a really bad idea

I was referring to your liking of (what looks to be the newest iteration of the legendary CivMan aka CFCs resident nazi troll) "The Civs 6" post which genuinely read like McCarthy propaganda, not to the contents of your two posts, which I honestly do not feel strongly about at all.
Just curious, I acknowledge your disgust for the "resident nazi troll" comment but was wondering why the reference to fellatio? Harmless ribbing? A reference to patriarchal/submissive behavior? It's as if a troll's comment has conjured the association of a trenchcoat pervert exposing his excitement and this was lapped up by the gullible, unsuspecting or the willing. Do you feel you have to protect others from this offense? Is this some sort of censorship on your part?

Threads aren't designed to change anyone's view - how often has that happened on CFC or other similar forums you are on?

I change my view on key issues as soon as proper stuff is presented to me. I've been changed a lot by CFC. It just usually takes 2 year for a person to change a position, it's not usually something you see in a thread.

Actually I shouldn't; imagine how you'd like it if I dictated what you posted or said you should take into consideration how I might view it.
Anyone in the forum should do as they please, within the rules.
To be fair, I think Aimee's post should be taken with a dose of :p .

And both of you had the shared experience of dealing with the "wild west" days of the newly-created A&E forum 10 years ago, while Plotinus and I were hammering out the rules that should apply to discussing very subjective aspects of a variety of art forms (writing, painting, sculpting, drawing, music, etc.).

I personally really appreciate the break Patine is taking from the thread :D

(I'll get back to everyone else when I can)

I didn't tag you, but you felt a need to make a post to me that was just an attack. Your utter hypocrisy about everything you've grilled me for on this thread (of which you haven't even adequately addressed how you and your ideological cohorts are not guilty of them - you just disingenuously played bait-and-switch with the subject and made flimsy, arrogant non-statements about the rest), is NOW COMPLETE, with this act! Now that you have proven yourself shamelessly and unrepretantly guilty of everything you criticized me for on this thread, and displayed hypocrisy and disingenuous double-take in your "defense," that beggars the imagination, I can now imagine my New Year's! :D

Actually I shouldn't; imagine how you'd like it if I dictated what you posted or said you should take into consideration how I might view it.

Don't you already do that anyways :think:

Don't you already do that anyways :think:

No, I am sure I do not. What I am not sure about, is if I'd even want to know how you formed this idea.
Unless you mean that I shouldn't be against people saying stuff against myself personally, which a little thought will reveal to you isn't the same as posting a view about some subject, and is all-together a pretty irrational request.

Last edited:
This has to be intentional. He makes a point about no individual author, but does make a point about the age of the writing and the span of it having been taught having a cultural and communicative value beyond the author his or herself, or the specific text. A point about teaching over time and societies over time itself. You then immediately rephrase them to be the same thing when they were deliberately separated. No argument regarding the point offered for why it's important, just a slide into an absolutely idiotic presumed premise: "Do you not think there are a lot of authors in the past 70 years of note?" to stand in for what you are disagreeing with. This is a worm on a bobber, not an argument.
If you want to call something (fish) bait, I don't think it's going to be that productive to really engage with you at this time. You know enough, or should, to know that I'm genuine even in the face of disagreement. Petty sometimes, sure, but genuine. I'm pretty sure "worm on a bobber" is intentional, because the translation of "bait" isn't something that is on the level around here ;)

Perhaps read my reply to Yeekim below, but it's entirely your choice.

On the contrary. It makes a huge difference, because it cuts off everything but modern literature. You lose entire genres that way.
Here's the crux though. "modern" is a moving target. Seventy years ago, Charles Dickens was seventy years ago. By your measurement of the time, at that point in time, Charles Dickens was modern literature.

Like I said, I'm not married to the specific time frame, it just happens to be a convenient example. And I sure can understand why you're opposed to older works falling out of fashion. The problem is, you don't seem to want to understand the benefits in focusing on (more) modern texts. I get Shakespeare, specifically with regards to English language and literature. I had to study Romeo and Juliet three times (no other play. Just Romeo and Juliet. Three different points during my schooling. It was like the lit-lang equivalent of the Second World War, which I also did two or three times). Though we did a performance of the Tragedy of Julius Caesar once (not really related to English at all - we had a drama bit at school). But like I said to Valka earlier, you can teach the enduring concepts without having to force someone to sit through something like that.

I was originally focusing on your point about the authors being replaceable. New English literature is being written all the time is my point, and we shouldn't be bound to an author just because they were prolific for a specific time period. There are contemporary analogies to Dickens - or at least, certainly in the last seventy years or so. The problem is the same problem this thread tied itself to with the silly WSJ piece. The problem is that we see modern authors and we see "politics". Guess what! Dickens was political! But it's a safe choice, because it's far enough (now) in the past that it can't cause arguments about said politics. It's an easy choice. And it's definitely not without merit.

My point isn't necessarily that "older authors are bad". It's that in the same way you claim we're losing things (genres, novels, authors, you name it) by setting a cut-off (and by "we" I mean the however many handful of people listed in the rag piece in the OP), by laser-focusing on what was, we miss other good choices in the time(s) since. I can see the appeal.

It's more technical.

They are taught to read what they are reading. Modern literature is far more readable, and thus doesn't teach how to read old literature. It's a different skill. Yes, a self motivated kid can take the tools and train themself. But that was always true.

I agree it's not a ban, first thing I said in this thread.
Yeah, I know you agree - sorry, that was more for the fullness of the explanation. I'm running three or four things in parallel here and I keep losing context. Wasn't meant to be saying you said it was a ban :)

Honest question: what worth is there in reading "old literature". What do you mean by old literature? English has several variants (not that Victorians like Dickens were that different, though for example Shakespeare definitely was), but we barely touch any of them. To me there's a lot of value in authors' varying styles - take the more straightforward (but inherently Christian) C.S. Lewis and contrast it to Lewis Caroll (particularly Through The Looking Glass). I don't know what you mean by "old" literature, so it's hard for me to put value on it.

And can't this be taught even if specific authors aren't? You can teach about Early Middle English without using Shakespeare. Sure, Shakespeare is a wealth of information, but it's also stylistic - you'd need to go into his style vs. the style of the time (as authors so frequently contravene). And this is already a depth of information that is probably too much for anyone shy of college (17- 18 years old here, for the record) level.

I didn't tag you, but you felt a need to make a post to me that was just an attack. Your utter hypocrisy about everything you've grilled me for on this thread (of which you haven't even adequately addressed how you and your ideological cohorts are not guilty of them - you just disingenuously played bait-and-switch with the subject and made flimsy, arrogant non-statements about the rest), is NOW COMPLETE, with this act! Now that you have proven yourself shamelessly and unrepretantly guilty of everything you criticized me for on this thread, and displayed hypocrisy and disingenuous double-take in your "defense," that beggars the imagination, I can now imagine my New Year's! :D
I didn't tag you either, given your apparent quitting of the thread, but go off I guess.

I didn't tag you either, given your apparent quitting of the thread, but go off I guess.

No, you've already played yourself well, and revealed, once again, the REAL garbage behind the high-minded-sounding drivel. I'm happy with that! :D

Moderator Action: And you. Enough arguing. --LM

Last edited by a moderator:
No, you've already played yourself well, and revealed, once again, the REAL garbage behind the high-minded-sounding drivel. I'm happy with that! :D
Nah buddy. You're still the one who tagged me into the conversation with an insult (that you've neither acknowledged nor apologised for). I knew full well what I was getting into replying to it, and it was definitely my choice to reply.

But you enjoy your confirmation bias.

Yup, wasn't wrong.

The tenor and language of their quotes show a strong lean in a direction of censorship and revisionism, even if yet unaccomplished. This is worrisome - or at least it should be - regardless of where on the socio-political spectrum such people are and who or what they're targeting. I'm sure Hitler only TALKED about burning Jewish books en masse back in the Weimar Republic in the 1920's, and Mao only TALKED about purging old manuscripts of legacies contrary to his revolutionary beliefs during the struggle the control and unify China from the early 1920's to 1949. But you, @AmazonQueen, and @Gorbles not only dismiss the issue off-hand, but show a derisive view to anyone concerned about such a tendency of people in a position of social responsibility having such viewpoints.

This term, like many others slapped around inappropriately and irresponsibly, willy-nilly, of late (like Fascist, Nazi, Communist, Terrorist, ILLEGAL immigrant, "THE Left," "THE Right," Deep State, etc.), should stop being so, and people should really educate themselves on what these words really mean and use them appropriately, to avoid descending into the realm of hyperbolic nonsense and slurs.

I was hoping the noxious practice of bringing everything to the level of the Orange Ogre as some kind of lame punchline was going to die in the toxic zeitgeist, frankly.
I guess you can't break your New Year's resolution if it's not the New Year yet.

Here's the crux though. "modern" is a moving target. Seventy years ago, Charles Dickens was seventy years ago. By your measurement of the time, at that point in time, Charles Dickens was modern literature.

Like I said, I'm not married to the specific time frame, it just happens to be a convenient example. And I sure can understand why you're opposed to older works falling out of fashion. The problem is, you don't seem to want to understand the benefits in focusing on (more) modern texts. I get Shakespeare, specifically with regards to English language and literature. I had to study Romeo and Juliet three times (no other play. Just Romeo and Juliet. Three different points during my schooling. It was like the lit-lang equivalent of the Second World War, which I also did two or three times). Though we did a performance of the Tragedy of Julius Caesar once (not really related to English at all - we had a drama bit at school). But like I said to Valka earlier, you can teach the enduring concepts without having to force someone to sit through something like that.
Studying Romeo and Juliet three times? WTF?

Okay, I studied Romeo and Juliet in Grade 10, saw the Zeffirelli movie so many times I've lost count (fun fact: Alice from "The Brady Bunch" is in it, though she's just an extra with no spoken lines), worked backstage on a production of West Side Story, which is a modern musical that sets the story in 1950s New York, did front-of-house when there was a local production at the Red Deer College Arts Centre (that was one of the occasions when our SCA group was able to do front-of-house in costume), and even Xena: Warrior Princess has a "Romeo and Juliet"-themed episode that's combined with a "Xena" homage to Groundhog Day. Romeo and Juliet is a timeless story that can be told in pretty much any genre, setting, and time... but the thing is, most people first encounter it or hear of it in the context of Shakespeare.

It's unfortunate you weren't able to do some different plays. Macbeth isn't my thing, but I loved Hamlet. Those were the ones I did in school. Others I saw or worked on in the theatre (live and film) include "The Taming of the Shrew", "A Midsummer Night's Dream", "Twelfth Night", "Henry V," "Much Ado About Nothing," and several others.

Yeah, if you want to teach kids that 14-year-old girls were married off to older men without their consent, you don't need Romeo and Juliet for that. All you need to do is look at any cult and you'll see numerous examples of it in current events. But in that case, you'd miss out on a good story.

As I've said: Shakespeare was meant to be seen, not merely read. What seems so dry on paper is much more accessible when you see actors doing justice to the words.

There are contemporary analogies to Dickens - or at least, certainly in the last seventy years or so. The problem is the same problem this thread tied itself to with the silly WSJ piece. The problem is that we see modern authors and we see "politics". Guess what! Dickens was political! But it's a safe choice, because it's far enough (now) in the past that it can't cause arguments about said politics. It's an easy choice. And it's definitely not without merit.
The politics of workhouses for the poor was relevant in Dickens' time and it's relevant now - or have you missed all the ranting that people on social assistance should have to go into workhouses or programs to justify feeding them?

Honest question: what worth is there in reading "old literature". What do you mean by old literature? English has several variants (not that Victorians like Dickens were that different, though for example Shakespeare definitely was), but we barely touch any of them. To me there's a lot of value in authors' varying styles - take the more straightforward (but inherently Christian) C.S. Lewis and contrast it to Lewis Caroll (particularly Through The Looking Glass). I don't know what you mean by "old" literature, so it's hard for me to put value on it.

And can't this be taught even if specific authors aren't? You can teach about Early Middle English without using Shakespeare. Sure, Shakespeare is a wealth of information, but it's also stylistic - you'd need to go into his style vs. the style of the time (as authors so frequently contravene). And this is already a depth of information that is probably too much for anyone shy of college (17- 18 years old here, for the record) level.
I was 14 when I first started studying Shakespeare, and I did pretty well at it (B average, if memory serves). It was in college that I encountered material like "Everyman", "Piers Ploughman", and "The Canterbury Tales."

Do you have any idea how many actual words we have in the language now that we acquired due to Shakespeare, or different usage of certain words? Even names?

My late-to-the-party take:

Removing a book form a curriculum is not equivalent to banning it, or even something which should be in the same conversation.

But the posture of the people celebrating this suggest that they seem to think it is.

Nobody actually cares that some local school board removed Homer from the curriculum; if most people could muster up any sort of response, it would be faint surprise that they were teaching Homer to begin with. But if you tell people you're doing it for reasons that smack of censoriousness, they may take you at your word.

On a high point, clarifying voices as useless is itself not useless.

My late-to-the-party take:

Removing a book form a curriculum is not equivalent to banning it, or even something which should be in the same conversation.

But the posture of the people celebrating this suggest that they seem to think it is.

Nobody actually cares that some local school board removed Homer from the curriculum; if most people could muster up any sort of response, it would be faint surprise that they were teaching Homer to begin with. But if you tell people you're doing it for reasons that smack of censoriousness, they may take you at your word.

Yeah pretty much.

We only started reading Homer in high school, as many high schools have one year of Ancient Studies. It's normally not read in literature classes.

That's definitional.

Top Bottom