1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Bannor: Order vs Empyrean

Discussion in 'Fall from Heaven Strategy & Tips' started by warhawk26, Jul 15, 2008.

1. warhawk26

warhawk26 Chieftain

Every time I play Bannor I always go for The Order, however, after my last game I am starting to think that Empyrean might actually be a better fit. The Order fits well thematically and Undying Order is a great spell, but I find that Bannor, because of the mana types they start with, has a deficiency with respect to destructive magic capable of affecting an entire stack, which can make taking a strongly defended city exceedingly tough. Empyrean seems to cover this deficiency with Chalid’s Pillar of Fire and Luridus’ Crown of Brilliance. You miss out on Undying Order, which is really nice, but I think Crown of Brilliance makes up for it, and when I go into world conquest mode with Theocracy and Crusade I generally don’t have happiness problems anyway. You also miss out on Vallin and Sphenor, but Chalid is at least as good of a hero as Sphenor, in my opinion. I haven’t found much use for Crusaders, maybe if I was fighting Sheam or Hyboram, other than that I almost always build champions instead.

2. Monkeyfinger

Monkeyfinger Deity

Summary: Empyrean > Order overall and none of the Bannor's unique features change that.

Sounds about right to me.

3. Pyr0mancer

Pyr0mancer Prince

:lol:

There's only one real drawback to Empyrean: Vicars suck. Horribly. Still, everything else is head and shoulders above Order. Especially when you're on a crusade, you can dedicate your cities to building support troops (like Rathas) rather than combat troops (like Crusaders) since you'll have bazillions of Demagogues appearing everywhere.

The only reason I can think of to go Order instead of Empyrean with Bannor is to keep your economy from imploding. Between Donal Lugh recruiting and Demagogues popping up all over the place, it's kind of hard to keep your research rate up.

4. MagisterCultuum

MagisterCultuum Great Sage

I'm still of the opinion that Empyrean Temples should significantly decrease a city's military production instead of increasing it. Thematically it is a philosophical and not a militant religion. I like making their temples instead have a Great Person bonus.

5. Marksman77

Marksman77 Aethernaut

Yeah, it's just not proper that Empyrean is a good religion for a warmongering game. IMHO both Crown of Brilliance and Chalid's Pillar of Fire would be _much_ better suited for Order.

6. bluedevil99

bluedevil99 Warlord

I'll stick up somewhat for Order, as Social Order and Basilicas can really rock. Crusaders are useless compared to Rathas, but Valin AND Sphener together are on par with Chalid, particularly considering how early you get Valin. Also, as the Bannor, the relevant techs for Order lie along a path you'd want to follow anyway and mean you get to Fanaticism that much earlier. For anyone else, though, I'd go with Empyrean for sure. And I agree it's antithematic that Empyrean is as good or better a warmongering religion than the Order.

7. warhawk26

warhawk26 Chieftain

You make some good points, particularly with respect to the heroes Valin and Sphener, and the fact that the techs most synergistic with The Order are along the path you want to follow anyway. However, one of the signature features of The Order is social order, but unfortunately you can't use it and crusade at the same time and, to me at least, what makes Bannor fun to play, and different from a run of the mill civ, is crusade.

8. Sofista

Sofista card-carrying

Well, maybe Kantian imperatives slipped their way into their philosophy? :)

9. Sureshot

Sureshot Goddess

thats definitely the most annoying part about Order/Bannor for me, Bannor should have civic synergy with the Order but instead it has anti-synergy, especially since those two civics at the same time would have great synergy (tons of free troops with which to use towards military garrison happiness)