Bar lounge

In GoT the way "The Dog" Clegane brings up Joffrey's nameday is like its a birthday or something like it... maybe the day he was named as an infant. Because he says his deeds will follow him all that year of his life... seeming to correspond with his age... at least that was my impression.

I was also thinking that alternative meaning of a name day could be an anniversary of the day one was named - in some culture receiving a name was also a rite of passage into (young) adulthood - but could not google any historical references.

Perhaps GRRM also thought name day = birthday :lol:.

I do not remember exactly what the Hound said, only remember that the name day thing did not seem right - another reason to re-read the books :D

Wait... I thought that birthdays and namedays were the same thing :confused:

Heh I had no idea what a "name day" was...

As Maga had pointed out, they are totally different things. In my country, the Saint-name celebrating is so strong, that the most celebrated saints-days are like nation-wide celebration and even official holidays. Interesting there is a name-day for all who dont have specific saint. They celebrate on All Saints day :)

Interesting info about the Church promoting those in the medieval times. Our nation and state are so old, that we have many pagan rituals mixed in with the Christian ones.

Interesting info about the Church promoting those in the medieval times. Our nation and state are so old, that we have many pagan rituals mixed in with the Christian ones.
Most christian countries got that... I think actually it's common in all of the large religions

@ Cal: I hope I was not terribly indiscreet, your RL name was posted in team succession thread

Yes, talon, the name day would be the same in Slovakia and Norway

No no, my name is not difficult to discover considering I'm using Caledorn as a nick in quite a lot of places around the Internet :) Nor do I mind that people know my name is Morten :)

Nor do I mind that people know my name is Morten :)

Which is Norwegian and Danish version of Martin, a male name with a long tradition derived from the name of Latin god Mars ;-) In some parts of my country, they bake special sweet rolls for Saint Martin's day, November the 11th. It is also Poland's national holiday, but for entirely different reason ;-)

Reminded by current discussion in the Beer Hall, is everyone living in US all right? I hope nobody lives (or has family) in Moore, Oklahoma.

Reminded by current discussion in the Beer Hall, is everyone living in US all right? I hope nobody lives (or has family) in Moore, Oklahoma.

Do not worry, Aivo, US is a huge country :) My family also used to call me initially to check if I am OK, if anything happened in US, even on another coast. These things are very said, of course, but far from global catastrophes.

Yes, I know US is a big country. And even if anyone is living in Oklahoma, chances of being in the path of the tornado are quite slim. But as I have no idea where exactly our US team mates are living, I thought it would be nice to ask.

Some good news is that the doctor has most probably found the cause of my health problems. The bad news is that problem is so extreme that my doctor has no seen test levels this bad. The problem that was found was that my gut flora was massively out of whack. The good bacteria was very low and the bad bacteria were very high. So many of the effects having very low good bacteria and very high bad bacteria are very much ones that I am having. the cause of this massive imbalance and hence health problems. Since the problem is so extreme is might take up to 6 months of treatment to get better. At least I hope I am on the way to recovery.

Take care, CH and get well soon.

As a non-serious from medical point of view advice, ask your doctor what he thinks about Bulgarian yoghurt. Its full of good bacteria and is very popular say in Japan.

Take care, CH and get well soon.

As a non-serious from medical point of view advice, ask your doctor what he thinks about Bulgarian yoghurt. Its full of good bacteria and is very popular say in Japan.

It's a dairy product and thus it will make me sick.

Nah, since the Lakers got elimminated I have mostly stopped paying attention. But I did know that the Heat were facing a game 7 against the Pacers... So I guess they won?

I'd be interested to hear folks thoughts on the last GoT episode:eek: W...T...F?!?!?! I saw NONE of that coming!:confused: ... At least until that guy closed the doors and they stated playing the Lannister song;)... I guess the episode title should have given something away:cringe: Doh!

Tywin Lannister... What a b@stard! He's pretty awesome though... always one step ahead.

Nah, since the Lakers got elimminated I have mostly stopped paying attention. But I did know that the Heat were facing a game 7 against the Pacers... So I guess they won?

I'd be interested to hear folks thoughts on the last GoT episode:eek: W...T...F?!?!?! I saw NONE of that coming!:confused: ... At least until that guy closed the doors and they stated playing the Lannister song;)... I guess the episode title should have given something away:cringe: Doh!

Tywin Lannister... What a b@stard! He's pretty awesome though... always one step ahead.

You should have read the books. That's part of the story. Unexpected things (especially the death of main characters) are always possible.

Top Bottom