1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Barb Hate and You

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by MarigoldRan, May 1, 2013.

1. Mec AntiKythera

Mec AntiKythera King

So you guys are saying that the barbs really are out to get me?

2. Lennier

Lennier Emperor

From my reading of this discussion, barbs go after weak civs.

And at deity, doesn't the human usually have the lowest score at this point in the game?

3. MarigoldRan

MarigoldRan WARLORD

Yes. They are out to get you. Enjoy!

4. Handel

Handel Prince

But I play at monarch, not on Deity, and I do have a highest score on my landmass (or the second at worse) at the time when the active barbs appear. And they still do try to target my cities. Not only this - as I already wrote before, even when I chop the GW, the barbs are still are coming to my cities first and then hug them to attack some nearby AI city. Actually it seems even barb unit corrects its pathfinding only when it comes in a sighting range of my GW. One should expect when the 1st barb unit bumps in the GW to transfer the knowledge about its existence to the other barbs. But it is not - every barb unit moves independently.

5. pigswill

pigswill fly (one day)

Score or power? (AIs do seem to spam lots of archers at the start of the game, maybe its to scare the barbs).

6. Kallikrates

Kallikrates Prince

As the AI starts with archers (from monarch upwards?) they must have a higher power score until one can build archers, chariots or axes. This is usually a few turns after the barbs appear, so the human player will be the weakest in power for a while.
    (I hardly ever had problems with barbs on standard maps (not raging barbs) monarch/emperor. Usually it's just to crowded so they dissappear quickly. If I have a problem it means I have enough expansion space :D and fodder for chariots to get promotions